Tales of Monkey Island Series!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Tales of Monkey Island Series!

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:23 pm

By Tell Tale Games!

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6210456/

Among many WINs is the fact that the voice actors for Guybrush and Elaine (specifically Elaine from COMI, not the god awful American voice actress from Escape From Monkey Island) are reprising their roles! Also Michael Land (original composer for The Secret of Monkey Island) is returning to compose the soundtrack! The only bad thing is the there is no mention of Ron Gilbert's involvement. But that's ok. Four out of Five WINs!

Apparently there's a video out there covering the rumoured Monkey Island Special Edition as well...I haven't found it yet but when I do I'll post it. Here's some information, though which sounds exciting! Especially the (optional) 2D visual overhaul mode! Also the COMI voice actor cast is returning for their roles and the soundtrack has also been remastered and rerecorded! So it's not just some cheap port! They look like they've actually taken great care with this project. I can't wait to get it. It's coming to XBox LiveArcade and also the PC!
In 2000, LucasArts released Escape from Monkey Island for the PC, putting the saga of Guybrush Threepwood (and in many ways the company's legacy of adventure gaming) behind it. Nearly a decade later, the publisher is returning to the shores of Monkey Island and it's bringing a friend with it. LucasArts today announced that it will release The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, a PC and Xbox 360 remake of the original 1990 game, and is teaming up with Telltale Games to produce all-new episodic installments in the series for PC and Wii.

This summer, the Special Edition version of the original game will give a new generation of gamers the chance to experience the humor-driven adventure game with a handful of alterations. First and foremost, the game is being given a high-definition 2D visual overhaul. (It's optional though, so players can switch between new and original graphics on the fly.) Additionally, LucasArts is including a new hint feature to prevent gamers from getting stuck and reinserting some "deleted scenes."

While the Special Edition revisits the original game, Tales of Monkey Island will contribute new chapters to the seminal simian adventure series. Starting later this year, five monthly chapters will tell yet another yarn about the ghost pirate LeChuck's undying feud with Threepwood. The game is in familiar hands, with a number of the development team having experience on previous Monkey Island games. Telltale is also no stranger to the episodic adventure game format, having produced Bone, Sam & Max, StrongBad, and most recently Wallace & Grommit series.

For more on the games, check out GameSpot's preview coverage of both Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition and Tales of Monkey Island.
EDIT: Found the video for The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition! http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210601/th ... first-look

EDIT 2: Read Ron Gilbert's web blog and am now giving Tales of Monkey Island 5 out of 5 WINs again as he was involved in the process and he's excited about both the remake rerelease and the Tell Tale series!
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MusicallyInspired

Re: Tales of Monkey Island Series!

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:36 pm

HD Screenshot!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:48 pm

BEST.REMAKE.EVER!!!

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Screenshot of the new Tales of Monkey Island series by Tell Tale Games!

This is a great day for the adventure genre and adventure fans everywhere!

Tales of Monkey Island Official Website

The Secret of Monkey Island Official Website

Now if only ActiVision can see what exactly it is they're throwing away and wise up to do something similar!

You know, it's kind of ironic. The Duke Nukem Forever fiasco is finally over. It's kinda like the death of what defeated the adventure genre to begin with....and then this. The adventure genre gets the last laugh, baby!!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Read Ron Gilbert's web blog and am now giving Tales of Monkey Island 5 out of 5 WINs again as he was involved in the process and he's excited about both the remake rerelease and the Tell Tale series!
i found it amusing that he kept mistyping "cannon" as "canon." The line "Guybrush being shot out of the canon was also foreshadowing for later when he needed to be shot out of the canon" made me wonder if that's how he thinks of Curse and Escape. :p

Behold the Trailer of Monkey Island!

MusicallyInspired

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Lol.

Also, SoMI Special Edition Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNLKNvY2wM

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Appropriately enough, Smirk really looks like an aged Duke now, furthering your previous statement, MI.

Heh. MI posting about MI. Funny.

Chief
Knight Status

#8 Post by Chief » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:18 am

This is AMAZING NEWS! YESSSSSSSSS!!! cannot wait for the new game and the remake!!

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58892

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:42 am

I preordered Season 1 of Tales of Monkey Island and got Strong bad's Cool Game For Attractive People episode 1 free. It was a great little adventure game to hold me over for 4 hours while I wait for ToMI to come out this weekend. I'll also be getting SoMI on XBLA when it comes out. Thanks for the post MI, I probably wouldn't have found this til much later.

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Last night, I preordered Tales of Monkey Island. Can't wait to get the hand-drawn DVD slip cover by Steve Purcell once the season ends! Scratch that, can't wait to play the first chapter on July 7th!!!

Not sure what free bonus episode I'm going to pick yet. Maybe a W&G or Bone episode, since those are the only two series I don't have episodes for yet...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:57 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Not sure what free bonus episode I'm going to pick yet. Maybe a W&G or Bone episode, since those are the only two series I don't have episodes for yet...
I'm curious; is the bonus episode transferable, MI?

papste
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by papste » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:11 pm

I suspect the new 3d series by Telltale is going to be crap, but the remake (special edition) will be awesome.

MusicallyInspired

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Are you kidding? Most of Tell Tale is comprised of team members who worked on all the original Monkey Island games. It's gonna rock! I think people equate Guybrush and 3D with crap just because EMI wasn't any good a little too much.

Chief
Knight Status

#14 Post by Chief » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:14 am

just ordered this, BOOYA!!!!

MusicallyInspired

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:58 pm

We're at zero hour and still counting! Come on with that game, Tell Tale!

This was posted on the TTG Twitter:

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#16 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:54 am

Downloading now! Can't wait to play!

EDIT: Couple hours in, great game so far, can't believe I have to wait a month before the next episode when I finish this one!!

"Won't someone please think of the Monkeys!!" - Elaine Threepwood

MusicallyInspired

#17 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:34 pm

It's out! Everyone should at least download and play the demo if they don't want to buy it. But you really should. Worth every penny!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#18 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:50 pm

Glad today was my day off, just finished chapter 1!! Brilliant game! Love to get my hands on the engine they used!!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#19 Post by Lady Pyro » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:29 am

Thank you Banana God!
It is a great game, I got stuck at one part and I wanted to take a small break to think things through, but I couldn't stay away! Hilarious too, loved every minute!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#20 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:48 am

Damnit! I can't play this! I'm getting the black GUIs bug due to my graphics card being too old. I had similar video card issues after buying Half Life 2 Episode 2. Oh well, I guess a system upgrade's inevitable.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#21 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:26 am

Chris, you tried just updating your graphics drivers?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#22 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Yeah, my video card is just really old. It doesn't have any of the new pixel shaders so many new games refuse to work. I guess I just wasn't expecting a Monkey Island adventure from TellTale Games to have similar video card requirements to GTAIV or Fallout3, since Sam and Max worked fine for me with the same card.

TOMI also chugs on my system a bit. I'm not sure if that's due to my aging PC, or the resolution that the game's running at (which I cannot change, due to being unable to see and therefore access the video settings menu in-game). Probably time I upgrade soon anyway. I've had this system since 2003.

MusicallyInspired

#23 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:28 pm

You can turn off the pixel shaders and all graphical enhancements by lowering the video quality from 9 to 1 (or is it zero? can't remember). And lowering the resolution should help. These help with most people's problems. I'm not sure if you can do that in a configuration file manually or not, but if you can at least start the game try that.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#24 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 pm

Yea my PC is a few years old its only a Athlon 3500 (single core!) with 1GB RAM and Geforce 5200, I had to turn graphic quality down to about 3 or 4 just to get it to run smoothly.

I'm guessing though if your getting black GUI you can't really change anything... Actually I've just thought of a solution for you!! When I get home I'll send you the config file for my game which contains the preferences for the settings to i'll turn everything to low and when you start the game it'll load up with basic settings and you can tweak and adjust till your PC can handle it!!

Also, they should have got me to beta test the game lol, I found a "cheesey" bug!

EDIT: Your in further luck, I had uploaded my save games from my laptop to the web to transfer over to my PC so download this http://eternal-anubis.com/Images/Telltale%20Games.rar delete or ignore the save game files and just paste the prop file in your /My Documents/TellTale Games/Tales of Monkey Island folder and you should be good to go, the res is widescreen for laptop so you probably need to change that asap lol but the graphic setting should only be on 3 or 4 which have no shaders so that might get you round the problem!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#25 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:12 am

Thanks, Angelus, but it didn't work. It actually made the game run even slower and the mouse movement became extremely jerky!

BTW, why does Guybrush have a beard now? I wonder if that'll be explained. I recall a running gag in CMI where he tried to grow a beard but found it impossible!