New Jane Jensen title, and the future of adventure gaming?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

New Jane Jensen title, and the future of adventure gaming?

#1 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Does anyone know the status on the new Jane Jensen project, Grey Matter? Is it going to be released??

It was so sad to hear about how Al Lowe was thrust aside and never allowed any involvement whatsoever in the creation of the horrendous new Leisure Suit Larry titles. Will any of the great adventure game designers of the good ol' days every make a comeback?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: New Jane Jensen title, and the future of adventure gaming?

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:50 am

According to Wikipedia Grey Matter has switched developers and is targeted for sometime this year.

I expect Al Lowe is glad he had nothing to do with the new LSL games as they were so bad.

Its not like they would of allowed him to make them any different had he been involved anyway.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#3 Post by gamecreator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Angelus3K wrote:would of
Would have. Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:47 pm

gamecreator wrote:
Thats slang for ya!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:43 pm

It's not slang, it's a typo.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Surely it is slang as thats exactly how I would of said it, sorry would have said it in real life!

EDIT: Also "typo" assumes I made a mistake, maybe, but it was an intentional mistake!

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:49 pm

So you intentionally wrote "would of" even though you knew it was wrong?

Actually, the mistake comes from people pronouncing "would've" and assuming they're actually saying "would of." It's not slang, not a typo either, really like you said. It's just plain incorrect. And I don't think it falls under slang.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#8 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:52 pm

Touche, I find you correct on all points.

However, I shall continue to say would of, just because I wouldn't consciously remember not too :rollin

MusicallyInspired

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 pm

>:

must....not....kill.....complacent people.....

;)

gamecreator
Knight Status

#10 Post by gamecreator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Angelus3K wrote: However, I shall continue to say would of, just because I wouldn't consciously remember not too :rollin
You mean you would unt? ;)

Lugh
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Lugh » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:22 pm

gamecreator wrote:
Seriously dude, that's SUPER obnoxious and unnecessary. I'm not trying to be mean, but think about it: if you used an idiomatic phrase or an incorrect contraction in a real life conversation, and somebody came out of the blue and made a point of rudely correcting you, how would you feel? The rules of language are changing all the time. If they weren't, we would still be using Old English, perhaps even Latin. This doesn't excuse completely idiotic mistakes, but I don't think one grammar error is a sufficiently big enough deal to point out.

Congrats on derailing the thread so successfully as well. I was interested in reading about people's opinions on this topic, but instead I find a grade three grammar class round table discussion. Ironically, I am probably contributing to the further derailment of things.

Back on track, Gray Matter looks interesting. Apparently the plot is about a street magician (as in, a David Blane type) who vaguely resembles a young Jane Jensen. She's hired to recruit test subjects for a scientist, I think. Does anyone know anything else? The game's page is in German.

I'm glad that Jensen is returning to full-length adventure game development, as she's always been one of the best. Gabriel Knight 1 is probably my favourite adventure game. I probably like it so much because I've always felt that GK1 got much of it's inspiration from DC's Vertigo comics, specifically Hellblazer. The art style reminds me of some work from that comic, and Gabriel's characterization is probably what an American John Constantine would be like (as opposed to that movie Constantine)

MusicallyInspired

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Dude, chill. We're all friends here. He was kidding (though correct). I find your obnoxious-people hunting/bashing attitude quite obnoxious.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:56 pm

From Adventure Gamers:

"Jane Jensen's A Darker Shade of Grey matters, too..."

Heh-heh-heh.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#14 Post by Klytos » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Grammar sucks.

MusicallyInspired

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:33 pm

You suck!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#16 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:38 pm

He does suck! You tell 'im!

Bt

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#17 Post by Klytos » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:27 am

I was going to respond, but it would get into "Erpy Bans Klytos" territory very quickly.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#18 Post by pbpb33 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:09 pm

I wish people would spend less time calling other posters obnoxious, correcting others' grammar, telling people to go away, etc.

Anyway, about the Jane Jensen game... does anyone know whether she has given any interviews lately? Her website no longer appears to be online. (though maybe I'm going to the wrong place?) In its place there's some kind of Japanese site. Does she ever take part in any adventure game forums?

MusicallyInspired wrote:Dude, chill. We're all friends here. He was kidding (though correct). I find your obnoxious-people hunting/bashing attitude quite obnoxious.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#19 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:45 am

pbpb33 wrote:I wish people would spend less time calling other posters obnoxious, correcting others' grammar, telling people to go away, etc.

Anyway, about the Jane Jensen game... does anyone know whether she has given any interviews lately? Her website no longer appears to be online. (though maybe I'm going to the wrong place?) In its place there's some kind of Japanese site. Does she ever take part in any adventure game forums?

MusicallyInspired wrote:Dude, chill. We're all friends here. He was kidding (though correct). I find your obnoxious-people hunting/bashing attitude quite obnoxious.
I find this post obnoxious! Anyways, who is Jane Jensen again? but seriously, is there a release date on this thing?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#20 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:37 pm

pbpb33 wrote:I wish people would spend less time calling other posters obnoxious, correcting others' grammar, telling people to go away, etc.

One thing you should realise pbpb33 is that most of us have been here upto 10 years nearly so most of the time we're joking around with each other so to new comers it can seem strange but we all know we're having a laugh so don't read too much into it ;)

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#21 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:24 pm

That's cool. I guess it would have been a different thing had "go away" and "you're obnoxious" comments been made to a newcomer.
Angelus3K wrote:
pbpb33 wrote:One thing you should realise pbpb33 is that most of us have been here upto 10 years nearly so most of the time we're joking around with each other so to new comers it can seem strange but we all know we're having a laugh so don't read too much into it ;)

haradan
Knight Status

#22 Post by haradan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Pal, relax. Really, the mood around here is fairly respectful and there's no need to heat things up. MusicallyInspired is a nice guy, but he's also kind of a moderator around here, so he usually watches out for people who resurrect old threads and the like. You got on his bad side, ok, just let it be and keep going. But posting on different threads smart-ass comments or insisting on the same things again and again certainly won't earn you points with him or with anyone in these forums.

I say this in a friendly manner. I think you make interesting points in your threads, so there's no need to be so defensive, just let things be and let's focus on what really interests us all: adventure games. Cheers.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#23 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:07 am

That's fine. I don't want to keep anything going nor do I want to heat up anything. I just wanted to respond to someone who attacked me. I don't care if someone fancies himself the unofficial forum police or if someone is a self-appointed moderator who likes to boss around people; that means nothing to me, and I'm not bowing down to that, nope.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about the subject.
haradan wrote:Pal, relax. Really, the mood around here is fairly respectful and there's no need to heat things up. MusicallyInspired is a nice guy, but he's also kind of a moderator around here, so he usually watches out for people who resurrect old threads and the like. You got on his bad side, ok

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#24 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 am

Shut up. Go away. You're obnoxious.

Bt

* this post would be filled with smileys if I didn't think their use was stupid. So smile, sucka! This is all in jest!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#25 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:40 pm

pbpb33 wrote:That's fine. I don't want to keep anything going nor do I want to heat up anything. I just wanted to respond to someone who attacked me. I don't care if someone fancies himself the unofficial forum police or if someone is a self-appointed moderator who likes to boss around people; that means nothing to me, and I'm not bowing down to that, nope.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about the subject.
haradan wrote:Pal, relax. Really, the mood around here is fairly respectful and there's no need to heat things up. MusicallyInspired is a nice guy, but he's also kind of a moderator around here, so he usually watches out for people who resurrect old threads and the like. You got on his bad side, ok
Don't worry, the real police are cruising da streets and eating donuts!!