Quest for Glory 2.5d Update

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AGP
Royal Servant Status

Quest for Glory 2.5d Update

#1 Post by AGP » Fri May 01, 2009 7:39 pm

I hope nobody minds my posting here to attract more attention, but if so, you can always delete this. Anyway, I released an update to my Quest for Glory I 2.5D preview which features several improvements, such as the character sheet, sleeping, and throwing (as yet invisible) rocks. Plus, two screens, one of which Erana's Peace reachable through the restore file. And a ton of behind-the-scenes changes and improvements. The link to my Quest for Glory page: http://www.agpgames.com/QuestforGlory.html. The link to my thread in the game-making forum: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13296&p=210579#p210579.

b74life
Royal Servant Status

Re: Quest for Glory 2.5d Update

#2 Post by b74life » Fri May 08, 2009 1:32 am

I think if youre going to spend the time and effort to make a game from scratch, you should make it original. Something you can actually call your own.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by AGP » Fri May 08, 2009 4:24 am

And I think if you're going to spend the time and effort to write a post about someone's project, you should make it original (it's not like I've read this a few dozen times by now). But in response, I usually write two things: I love Quest for Glory and would like my son to enjoy it as much as I did, and I'm really writing an engine. Quest for Glory is just cosmetic. So, might you write something aboutthis time and effort I'm spending?

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by b74life » Mon May 11, 2009 12:41 am

Sounds like you're taking my comment as an insult. I do a lot of programming myself. I tried making a game for like 4 years and I was really excited about it but it takes a lot of work. Eventually I just had to be realistic about it and drop it. I just see it as a shame to do all that work for remaking a game that's been remade once already. If you're going through the pains of making an entire engine, I say go for something new. I'm not mocking you, I'm trying to give you a helpful suggestion.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by AGP » Mon May 11, 2009 2:18 am

I wasn't insulted, really, just annoyed at how many people write these things, especially here of all places. I will see this through because it's fun for me, but I'd rather get a lot more support from the only group of people left who even know about this game. I have every intention of making many games of my own, and my engine would be easily ported to cell phones, by the way, but this is what I'm making now.

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#6 Post by eriqchang » Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 am

You will find a lot of jealous, rude, and plain ego-driven individuals on adventure game forums - especially somewhere where people are as passionate about retro games like Sierra's. It's just human nature to tear down people doing things YOU want to do yourself.

Keep on doing what you're doing. Don't let anyone's bitter or rude comments stand in your way. If you're passionate about what you do - it will show. And people will follow!

Good luck with your game! I think what you've posted here (and in other threads) is great. I am a big Quest for Glory (Hero's Quest!!) fan. Nothing quite like that original land.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by AGP » Fri May 15, 2009 4:31 am

Thanks a whole lot, pal, that's nice to read. Especially from you.

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by b74life » Sat May 16, 2009 4:41 am

I'm not sure what eriq's talking about, but I definitely don't have it out for you. And I definitely didn't say anything out of bitterness or jealousy. I was just giving a suggestion. If you don't like it, don't do it. It's not a big deal really, I'm not the ultimate decider of what is good or not. I think you guys are kind of over-reacting here.

But just to clarify, I like the engine, I think it looks really cool. I'm a big QFG fan and if you release it, I'll totally play it. You are both talented guys. Try to not take things too seriously. Good luck, man.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#9 Post by Solarkid » Sun May 17, 2009 6:15 pm

I think eriq was giving AGP advice, not relating it to you.
AGP has go a bit pissed off by some peoples' comments in the past, and Eriq's just giving him the good word.

You explained yourself clearly, and i see no reason for anyone to be annoyed at you b74life, but i do understand why AGP got annoyed by your first comment. It was too brief to come across as an innocent opinion, so he will have thought it was a direct attack.

Now that you've made it clear that you didn't mean any offence then everythings fine im sure man.

Dave

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by b74life » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:05 am

No more updates? How's progress?

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by AGP » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:02 pm

I'll finish it one day. But I got so little encouragement from the few people who should want this that I went on to do other things (all very original game ideas--NOT--and none finished yet). Street Fighter was a joke for my sister-in-law, and Rogue Squadron is just a game I really love:

Removed this link since nothing on that site is properly polished and I won't have time for any time soon.

PS: You'll need Java 1.6u10 to run them.
PPS: If any of you is an experienced modeler willing to help me with level models both for the racer and for Rogue Squadron, I really need the help. It seems I already got someone to do Tatooine for me (not the simple dunes you see at the moment which I did sloppily), but everything else I need.
Last edited by AGP on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:34 pm

I'll finish it one day. But I got so little encouragement from the few people who should want this that I went on to do other things
The only source of motivation you should really rely on is encouragement from yourself and (if there are any) the people you work with. Feedback from outsiders is nice sometimes, but if you need it in order to complete something, you're setting yourself up for a fall. Especially since people have short attention spans.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by AGP » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:55 pm

I agree, I will finish it one day. But I may as well finish the web site first.

UnknownHero
Peasant Status

#14 Post by UnknownHero » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 am

eriqchang wrote:Keep on doing what you're doing.
I agree Fully with Eriq here and everyone else with a positive view on this. The art work is absolutely Gorgeous! And I'd love for my kids and myself to play this original on such a large color palette. I just beat QFG1 VGA for the first time tonight, rekindling my enjoyment I had with the original and continuing what I never finished... at 26 years old.. lol. I love it. I personally think a remake for Xbox live arcade would be an excellent market for this with some well placed and done advertising. I would like to have had the entire story line world incorporated into one game... and with a little financing... this can happen sooner then later.... ;) just find the right people that see the potential.

about the remake you're doing, I REALLY love the artwork... I'm hoping the character art fleshes out a little better but hey! One person can only do so much right? How many people do you have working on this with you?

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by b74life » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:42 am

Yea cmon man. Lets see some updates. Post the webpage too so we can check it. I dunno how much time you have to dedicate to a site but a great way to start is use Joomla! and you can set up a couple pages real quick.

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by b74life » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:43 am

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by AGP » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:27 am

UnknownHero and a guy named Ilias have recently offered to help me with models for Quest for Glory, which I was only too happy to accept. So I'm working on several different games at the moment (including finishing the ones already online) but as soon as I have something new from either of them (likely the models for the battle system), I will update the online build with, among other things, a dialog screen that properly parses the texts (!) and the aforementioned battle system (exactly the same as the VGA's only 3D). Ilias in particular was very interested in the dialog screens themselves. Thanks for the support.

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by b74life » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:12 am

Oh sweet! I'm excited. Try to keep your staff somewhat small but not too small. It took this group 8 years to make a game with a handful of people. But, Hero6 had hundreds of members and it still isn't off the ground. I guess fewer are easier to manage. Can you tell us what this battle system is going to be like?

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by b74life » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:29 pm

Dude. I need an update on this. I was excited to see what you were making.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by Blake00 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:05 am

yeah same here.. I played your demo and REALLY enjoyed it (see my comment in your other thread)..

unlike some I'm ALL for remakes of existing games.. there's nothing like going back to a game your pationate about and seeing it looking 10x better!

I've read your threads here and in other forums and have seen a lot of the arguments and people asking why you're bothering cause they think its a stupid idea, and its just such a shame. Unfortunately becuase after years of every 'man and his dog' announcing projects that fizzle in no time constantly in these forums some people don't show as much kindness or interest these days in new project announcments and their hostility often cases the author to give up almost instantly.

I hope you have still got the creative juices flowing on this project mate as i've love to play a newer demo!!

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by crayauchtin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:54 am

I love remakes to existing games! I wish every great game would get remade on a regular basis.

First of all, you can make it look better which is GREAT.
Second, you can add in details that become relevant in later games, which makes the world more immersive and, if done carefully, can even make the story lines more continuous, flowing, and epic!

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by AGP » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:09 am

Thanks a lot, guys. Sorry, I haven't been checking the boards lately. I actually have a really good update coming up which will include a LOT of other screens, including ALL of Spielberg. I'm just working on the fight screen now (which will at first play just like the VGA version but will be the first time I'll use a new and better hero model). But I'm fighting with a few small issues.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by AGP » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:03 pm

I wanted to post this here by way of an update and ask whether the hero actually touched the goblins when he attacked them. In my faint memory, I think he didn't visually touch them, but I can't be sure yet. I'm content to copy the fight mechanics to the letter for now, but I thought maybe of working on a fully-3d environment whenever he got pulled into a fight (it's actually easier to do in many ways and can add a lot to the experience).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#24 Post by Erpy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:31 pm

I believe he did. He reached out pretty far with his weapon arm whenever he attacked.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by AGP » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick response. I'm pretty much done with the fight bit. I'm wrestling with simple things to polish it a little for the next update, which will include a million improvements, most of which little things, some larger (including the day/night thing);