QFG3

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Xenjin
Peasant Status

QFG3

#1 Post by Xenjin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:59 am

Just discovered this via game informer. I played the qfg series as a kid and still remember it. Any plans on making #3? Best atmosphere in the whole series in my opinion.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: QFG3

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 am

Was this printed in the magazine or on their website? Game Informer magazine did an article on our King's Quest remakes a few years back, which created a nice little publicity spike. :) If you're talking about the magazine, which issue is it?

To answer your question, no we won't be remaking any Sierra titles which were already made in VGA by Sierra. NewRisingSun's patches fix most of the timer errors, glitches, and bugs that plagued these games and they run well under DosBox.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:15 pm

Also, if anybody really, really wanted to remake Quest for Glory 3 or 4 with less bugs, it would be better to just finish the code of "SCI Studio VGA", which not only would allow easy bug fixing, but also translation and additional content for most sierra games, and without having to redo all the work.

Best of it, the unfinished code is public domain and you would only need a programmer to finish the remake (well, and the original games, too).

Knight Status

#4 Post by 1234567890 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:15 pm

damn, where can you get it? Is that not what they used for KQV-VI? or am i wrong?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Here it is: http://www.bripro.com/scistudio/download.php

Note, however, that SCI studio VGA was not finished. I think at its current state it only works as a resource viewer/extractor. But with the source code, I guess a programmer should be able to do a full version; it might require finding sierra documentation about their SCI interpreter, though, but I know I've seen it elsewhere and shouldn't be hard to find.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Just a note here, unlike AGI Studio, SCI Studio EGA could only be used as a resource viewer for Sierra games too. You can't alter the scripts of any existing SCI gama without disassembling them first and then you have to be fluent in assembly code or something to even make any sense of it. That's what NRS did for his script timer patches, incidentally.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:50 pm

I'd be really interested to see what that guy's been up to lately and how many times his patches have been downloaded. The other day for instance someone from my building was talking to me (I was playing GTAIV and driving a cop car) and he says "you remember that game Police Quest where you could turn on the sirens and speed all you wanted?" so naturally I got really excited and blabbed forever and he eventually told me how he tried to replay it but ran into all sorts of bugs so I installed my copy of the Vivendi compilation on his computer and used the NRS on 1 and 3 and Presto, friendship. :hat Point is a lot of people rediscover adventure games all the time and every time someone does they undoubtedly end up at NRS. A counter or forum would be really interesting there.

The Guy
Knight Status

#8 Post by The Guy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:16 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Was this printed in the magazine or on their website? Game Informer magazine did an article on our King's Quest remakes a few years back, which created a nice little publicity spike. :) If you're talking about the magazine, which issue is it?
Ok, I know I've been out of the loop for a few months now working and all, and I just got a Game Informer subscription recently. To answer your question, greatly assuming you never found out or someone else told you, there is a small section in the January release, Issue 189, page 82 under the title: Mod World. Also, if this known already, then I apologize if I wasted anyone's time.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks, nobody ever clarified it. If possible, would you be able to scan the article?

gelseasMok
Peasant Status

#10 Post by gelseasMok » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:42 am

Thank you to your organization for putting in the time and effort to realize the remake of Quest for Glory 2.

I am struck by your attention to detail about what makes the game great, and especially appreciate the significantly improved and sophisticated combat system.

You mention that you are not in the business of remaking Sierra VGA games.. however, has your team considered organizing a 'plus' remake of Quest For Glory 3, similar to what you accomplished for King's Quest 2?

The game itself has an unfinished quality-- a whole aspect of Tarna left unexplored, only two scenes with the Leopardman village, a hasty ending, and so on..

In addition, it would be cool to see your combat system up the ante and be able to handle something like group strategy, training others in combat or magic etc.

Of course, 'cool' does not pay the bills. However, I have yet to see a 'donate to particular game idea' link on your well-designed website. If you have one of those, please post the URL!

The concept of Quest for Glory may be over fifteen years old, but your progressive combat system is quite a more recent thing and does bring the joy of a good console game into the realm of an adventure setting that lets us contemplate things like ethics, relationships, and integrity-- such a rarity today!

Anyhow, thank you for all your good work.

All the best,
gM

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:11 pm

AGDI aren't starting anymore games.

gelseasMok
Peasant Status

#12 Post by gelseasMok » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Ah yes, well the music for QFG2VGA-- both the action and ambient-- is quite lovely as well..

gM

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by goatmeal » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:14 am

gelseasMok wrote:Ah yes, well the music for QFG2VGA-- both the action and ambient-- is quite lovely as well..

gM
Yes, it is. Head on over to Quest Studios for a free download of the official soundtrack files:

http://queststudios.com/quest/qfg2vga/qfg2vga.html

Goatmeal

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#14 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:31 am

You mention that you are not in the business of remaking Sierra VGA games.. however, has your team considered organizing a 'plus' remake of Quest For Glory 3, similar to what you accomplished for King's Quest 2?

The game itself has an unfinished quality-- a whole aspect of Tarna left unexplored, only two scenes with the Leopardman village, a hasty ending, and so on..

In addition, it would be cool to see your combat system up the ante and be able to handle something like group strategy, training others in combat or magic etc.

Of course, 'cool' does not pay the bills. However, I have yet to see a 'donate to particular game idea' link on your well-designed website. If you have one of those, please post the URL!

The concept of Quest for Glory may be over fifteen years old, but your progressive combat system is quite a more recent thing and does bring the joy of a good console game into the realm of an adventure setting that lets us contemplate things like ethics, relationships, and integrity-- such a rarity today!

Anyhow, thank you for all your good work.
I think the reason why the AGDs aren't accepting donations is because receiving money for remaking another company's game would have drawn some negative attention to them. That being said, if you do want to donate, just buy one of their games from Himalaya studios and maybe some of the other extras. That will not only give them more money to work with, but it will also reduce their warehousing costs and other stuff that they use to keep unsold merchandise. :)

Till next time stay cool 8))

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#15 Post by Spikey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:59 am

Or donate server space.