The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#2001 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Yea it is weird, I mean a similar concept could have worked on something like the NES even, especially SNES with the extra cart space. I'd like to see a Wii version that would be pretty cool. Or like an Adventure game or Murder Mystery misson pack where you have to solve clues by summoning stuff like a camera or fingerprint duster etc lol!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#2002 Post by DrJones » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:54 pm

What you said looks a lot like Inform 7, the text adventure engine that lets you create the game from inside the game. Very fun indeed. It could not have been possible to do this on the NES or SuperNES because it wouldn't have fit in it.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2003 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:43 am

DrJones wrote:What you said looks a lot like Inform 7, the text adventure engine that lets you create the game from inside the game. Very fun indeed. It could not have been possible to do this on the NES or SuperNES because it wouldn't have fit in it.
Yea I mean apart from space, the idea itself could have worked and could have been done in the DOS days.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2004 Post by Brainiac » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:33 am

Silver Star Harmony's TGS trailer is up on YouTube.

Your thoughts, Erpy?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2005 Post by Erpy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:53 am

It's looking pretty good. Obviously based on the PSX-version of the game, with perhaps some elements of Lunar Legend thrown in. (I think I saw a desperation attack in there and I have no idea what that giant hammer attack was) Kuddos to them for using QFG4-sized dialogue pics... The redone town artwork looks nice too. Now the question remains...how will the translation be done?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2006 Post by Brainiac » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Erpy wrote:Now the question remains...how will the translation be done?
Here you go.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2007 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:00 am

Oh my, 38 hours into Fallout 3 and I've given up on the main quest for exploration and sidequests. Not to mention the fact that my Karma keeps bouncing all over the place.
Man this game is great.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2008 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:10 pm

Is SS Harmony a remake of SS Story?

Don't remember anyone mentioning this game yet but I played the demo for Brutal Legend yesterday (which for some reason wasn't on my "radar" which it should have being as its a Tim Schafer game) and absolutley loved it! Jack Black is perfect as Eddie Riggs and you can definetly taste the Schafer style in the game's humour, gameplay and story. This just went from blind spot to must buy for me! Unforunatley for Brutal Legend, Uncharted 2 has to come first so I'll probably pick it up when I get paid in November rather than "Rocktober 16th"!

Also anyone played this flash mini-adventure game by Double Fine?

http://www.doublefine.com/news.php/mini ... ost_Master

Its a game Schafer made for when he hosted the 2009 GDC and is based on Tim backstage at the GDC trying to find some jokes before the show starts. You can tell from this gem that he's still got "it".

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2009 Post by Brainiac » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:43 am

Angelus3K wrote:Don't remember anyone mentioning this game yet but I played the demo for Brutal Legend yesterday...
I've said this before - I know not of this "Brutal Legend." Brütal Legend, on the other hand...umlauts, people! They make things more metal!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2010 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:07 pm

Hehe, what are you PC only guys going to do? I know most don't have a PS3/360 here and Tim has said he has no future plans for a PC version.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2011 Post by Brainiac » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Hehe, what are you PC only guys going to do? I know most don't have a PS3/360 here and Tim has said he has no future plans for a PC version.
I thought he said he didn't have any plans in the present. From what I read, a PC version wasn't unlikely, just not currently on the radar.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2012 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:15 pm

Nor the Wii. I don't know how they could release it on there anyway. I've yet to see a Wii game with both such violence and profanity heh.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2013 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:31 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Nor the Wii. I don't know how they could release it on there anyway. I've yet to see a Wii game with both such violence and profanity heh.
Manhunt 2 is pretty much the only one that springs to mind, oh and MadWorld.

Yea no PC version presently but Schafer has said its an action game and "meant to be on consoles." Its all about the cashflow though so it'll probably turn up at some point.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2014 Post by Brainiac » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Did anyone happen to notice Destructoid's seasonal feature The Memory Card on August 27th?

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#2015 Post by goatmeal » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Brainiac wrote:Did anyone happen to notice Destructoid's seasonal feature The Memory Card on August 27th?
Thanks for the terrific link! Chad's got a really great series going there, and it was a pleasure to relive many of those memorable gaming moments with his articles as I perused previous entries. It is now added to my bookmarks.

I agree almost 100% with what he said about SQ4/SQ1 (as well as time travel tweaks and future & past game references within a series), except the fact that it would be highly unlikely that Murphy and Crowe could have the premonition/vision to plan the game series that far in advance to implement such 'future' references; the game could have bombed, thus preventing a second game, let alone a fourth in the series...

The original Back To The Future had no "..to be continued" at the end of the movie, as the two Bobs (Gale and Zemeckis) has no real plans to make a sequel (let alone a third). Only after its huge success at the box office, Universal addded the "...to be continued" to the VHS version to raise awareness that more BTTF was coming.

[Bob Zemeckis has even stated that if they had some grandiose plan for a film series from the beginning, a la Star Wars, they would NOT have put Jennifer in car at the end of BTTF, as it caused huge problems in writing the plots for BTTF II & III...]

That being said, Roger's time traveling does raise an interesting issue:

1. Roger is in AGI in SQ[1], and ends up in Ulence Flats.
2. Roger stumbles his way through two sequels to end up in SQ4 [and in SCI], stealing a Time Pod.
3. SCI Roger goes back to SQ[1], revisiting the place as is was -- in AGI.

However, in the remake version of SQ1 (called SQ1-A, keeping with BTTF2 nomenclature),
1. Roger-A is now in SCI for SQ1-A (not to mention 50's B-movie style), and ends up in Ulence Flats.
2. True to form, a Time Pod from SQ4 shows up after Roger-A heads off to destroy the Star Generator.

Now, for the Time Pod in SQ1-A,
-- Was that from a SQ4-A game that was also done in 50's B-movie style?
-- Will there even be a monochrome bikers-type threat in the bar, now that his surroundings are also SCI-style?
-- Or is that just an example of the use of Time Pods mucking up the Timestream, creating alternate timelines? Perhaps even resulting in the SQ1-A remake timeline?

OK, maybe it's not that interesting... :|

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2016 Post by Brainiac » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:42 am

Hey, Erpy, d'you hear about Sunsoft bringing the old NES title Blaster Master to the Virtual Console? They've entered into a collaborative partnership with none other than Gaijinworks, the "new" Working Designs.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#2017 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:00 am

Sorry I've been gone so long. Well getting down to business (know the message was to Erpy but I had to put my two sense in) as far as Blaster Master for VC goes VC like I've said before is a cheap way for the Video game industry to make extra money on games that would normally be available in a compilation package unless it is a RPG of which even then some of those have made it in compilations. What I'm excited about is Data East collection that comes out on Wii next month. Yes I'm a bad enough dude to save Ronnie. And hasn't Blaster Master been released in a compilation before I think I own a compilation that has it but I'm not sure? Could be thinking about another game. Oh well I guess I am being a bit hypocritical after all I own a few VC games not a lot.

Broomie
The Enigma

#2018 Post by Broomie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:11 pm

I don't mean to plug but that did remind me of this. :p

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#2019 Post by goatmeal » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:21 am

Broomie wrote:
I don't mean to plug but that did remind me of this. :p

Oooo! What a shameless plug!

Yes, yes, Broomie -- the IA trailer for SQ2/Remake was AWESOME...

Now I've got to set my DeLorean for March 31, 2010, and proceed to work backwards day-by-day until I discover the actual release date for SQ2/Remake!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2020 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Silver Star Harmony's English website is up. There are clips of most of the new voices and most of the characters are listed with last names this time.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2021 Post by Erpy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm not completely sure what to think of the voices, seeing I'm used to the originals but the graphics certainly look good and the reworked version of "Wings" sounded beautiful.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2022 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Erpy wrote:...the reworked version of "Wings" sounded beautiful.
The orchestral part has been reworked, yes, but I'm pretty sure that's still Jenny Stigle's vocals from SSSC (at least on the website - I haven't played the demo yet). If that's true, she'd be the only carryover from the previous version.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2023 Post by Erpy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Yep, Jenny Stigile is still the singer. And indeed she's the only one who lent her voice to the new version. Most of the voices seem okay, though I liked Nash' old voice better, preferred old Mell's delivery of that line and I'm sure Ghaleon's new voice will take some getting used to since it's miles away from how John Truit's interpretation sounded. (time will tell whether it's an improvement or not)

It seems Victor Ireland offered to whole old cast to Xseed, but was declined. If I read it correctly, Ireland's offer was kinda an all or nothing deal with "all" also including him having lots of control over the translation and packaging, so while it's a pity the cast is all new I can't blame Xseed for rejecting that offer.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2024 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 am

Erpy wrote:It seems Victor Ireland offered to whole old cast to Xseed, but was declined. If I read it correctly, Ireland's offer was kinda an all or nothing deal with "all" also including him having lots of control over the translation and packaging, so while it's a pity the cast is all new I can't blame Xseed for rejecting that offer.
Indeed. Had they let Ireland and Gaijinworks take over localization duties, we might not see the game until after the 2012 apocalypse. :p

An email about the new VA was replied to like this: "We never release the list of voice-actors working on our titles, but I can tell you that none of the actors that worked on the PS One release returned to reprise their role for Lunar: Silver Star Harmony." That might have been a sticking point with the old crew and Ireland as well.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#2025 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:51 am

I've already got my copy of Lunar payed off all I have to do is wait.

As far as the quality goes though I can always use it as a nice paper weight if it fails to keep my attention like the PS One version.

I mainly got it anyways cause I heard there were going to be some new songs.
Indeed. Had they let Ireland and Gaijinworks take over localization duties, we might not see the game until after the 2012 apocalypse. :p
BTW we should start a thread about our plans after the Apocalypse if it don't happen. :lol