Would you play a QFG 6 in modern 3D?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Yes.
37%
No.
10%
Maybe...
32%
Would I play?! I'd be alongside developing it!
10%
Not if QFG 6 is in 3D. It should look like a classic-sierra game.
12%

Total votes: 41

AGDIForever
Peasant Status

#1 Post by AGDIForever » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 am

I'm just curious to see what people would think if another Quest for Glory game came out with 3D graphics. Would you play it? Yes? No? Maybe but under certain circumstances? Would you prefer the classic sierra look instead?

Personally, I'm a big fan of the classic sierra look but I think 3D graphics would be awesome.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Would you play a QFG 6 in modern 3D?

#2 Post by DrJones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:41 am

I wouldn't because I can't. My computer can barely move The Silver Lining demo and freezes at certain screens, heh. :cry

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#3 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:21 pm

I would play it but Enjoying it is another question.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#4 Post by greensenshi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Not in 3D, no. I've never played 5 simply because of the pseudo-3D it has. It detracts from the game for me.

mindscout
Peasant Status

#5 Post by mindscout » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:49 pm

Only if the 3D is used for cosmetic purposes like in the new Sam&Max. The 3D is used in the esthetic's but it is not involved in the gameplay the way that the player interacts with the game responds to a bi dimensional environment. In QFG5 the 3D didn't contribute to improve the gameplay I would be happier with something similar to QFG3 but with better graphics and different history. The same happened with Gabriel Knight 3.

Knight Status

#6 Post by 1234567890 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Yes, I'd play it any day, I like both 2d and 3d, though I usually prefer 2d.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#7 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:20 am

Depends because in 3D would it be QFG or would it be something different. I mean look at how games go from 2D to 3D with Mario after he went 3D Super Mario 64 though I liked it. It was not Super Mario Bros./World. Castlevania which I did not like the 1st PS2 game cause it did not really fit in story wise with the original Dracula stories like most the series did. But the camera angles got worse than in the 64 games don't know about the other one on PS2 . and Sonic,Street Fighter Ex plus,Final fantasy (X only). But 3D can be good Final Fantasy VII VIII IX which VII still is overrated and III and IV remakes did 3d well. Street Fighter IV looks promising and I don't know if anyone here has played Goemon's Great adventure part of the Mystical Ninja series on 64 but it was awesome. and so we have QFG 6 is it a true QFG game or some hyped new experimental 3D engine that would be cool if it weren't being used to abominate a classic game.

haradan
Knight Status

#8 Post by haradan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Are we talking Mask of Eternity 3D or something else? In my opinion, Sierra games always took advantage of the latest technology and that didn't screw the storytelling, up to MOE, in which they forgot what KQ was all about.
If it was a true QFG, designed by the Coles, I don't think the 3D would a problem

Did music card support detracted from the games back in 1988?
Did VGA detracted from the games back in 1990?
Then I don't see 3D would detract from the game IF the storytelling and character development keeps true to the original. But that's just me... ;)

On the other hand, we've seen some major detractions in latest installments, Mask of Eternity was one, but the worst was Magna Cum Laude. So, if Vivendi was to make a QFG6, I wouldn't hold my breath about it, and I'd keep my expectations low, very low.

Knight Status

#9 Post by 1234567890 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:48 pm

haradan wrote:Are we talking Mask of Eternity 3D or something else? In my opinion, Sierra games always took advantage of the latest technology and that didn't screw the storytelling, up to MOE, in which they forgot what KQ was all about.
If it was a true QFG, designed by the Coles, I don't think the 3D would a problem
moe sucked cause roberta williams lost creative control, so she couldn;t have as much input into the game.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#10 Post by DrJones » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:06 pm

1234567890 wrote:moe sucked cause roberta williams lost creative control, so she couldn;t have as much input into the game.
Well, having seen what Roberta Williams did when she had control of her games, I would say that I don't agree with your statement. I was actually surprised at how good "King's Quest VI" turned, but once you discover that King's Quest games were done to test new waters and developers, and that the sixth installment was done by the same woman that later designed Gabriel Knight, things start making sense.

Also, I haven't played Mask of Eternity, but its acronym happens to be the same than a term I personally despise, and would appreciate immensely if people stopped using it. :p

* MOE, MOE, grrr* >:

haradan
Knight Status

#11 Post by haradan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Well, MOE (he, he, :evil ) wasn't all that terrible, the real problem is that it shouldn't be called King's Quest. Wheter you like the series or not, it's quite obvious that MOE (HE, HE, HE :evil :evil :evil ) should have been made as a different, parallel game, located in Daventry but with no relation to KQ, that way it wouldn't dissapoint KQ fans.

For example, if Vivendi decided to create an On-Line-3D-massive-multiplayer-shooter game based on Quest for glory, I'd love to play it, but I'd hate if they dared to call it Quest for Glory VI: Conquer the World or something like that. Just the same way, Magna Cum Laude is NOT a Leisure Suit Larry game, something in the line of Leisure Dumb Gameboy would be more fitting.

Knight Status

#12 Post by 1234567890 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:45 pm

I think I agree that MOE shouldn't be classifid as KQ, I mean moe is moe, am I right? If moe is moe, it's moe, and not kq. lol sorry, just tryin to bug ya drjones! :rollin
Well, having seen what Roberta Williams did when she had control of her games, I would say that I don't agree with your statement. I was actually surprised at how good "King's Quest VI" turned, but once you discover that King's Quest games were done to test new waters and developers, and that the sixth installment was done by the same woman that later designed Gabriel Knight, things start making sense.
It's true thoguh, I read an article about it. I think roberta did a great job on all she did on all the kq games!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:17 am

King's Quest V wasn't that bad, though, story-wise. And Roberta wrote that herself. The earlier ones were mediocre, though. And I don't really like KQ7 at all. MOE I enjoyed, on the other hand. One thing about MOE was that Ken Williams left Sierra in mid-development. So in the beginning stages Roberta had complete control. After Ken left she lost that control and the suits wanted the game to do other things. If it had been completed under Roberta's original vision I think it would have been a strong title in the series.

As it is now MOE is still a solid game. Just needed some tweaking. I could care less if the story involves members of the royal family or not. Screw that. It's a good game. And it's good enough to be a King's Quest for me.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#14 Post by DrJones » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:21 am

MOE, argh!! You guys are mean grrr! >:

Lesson to all evil masterminds: never expose your vulnerabilities on a public forum, heh. :rollin

Knight Status

#15 Post by 1234567890 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:22 am

Lol moe, moe is really funny lol, if you hadn't said you hate moe, we wouldn't bud you by saying moe. so, kq5 is incredible, or maybe I'm insane, but it is awesome!

haradan
Knight Status

#16 Post by haradan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:23 am

MusicallyInspired wrote: As it is now MOE is still a solid game. Just needed some tweaking. I could care less if the story involves members of the royal family or not. Screw that. It's a good game. And it's good enough to be a King's Quest for me.
Hey, I don't care about the royal family neither. After KQ4 I was expecting that, at some point, there would be a KQ game in which you would play Edgar trying to reach Daventry to marry Rosella. The stupid pseudo-magical apparition of Edgar at the end of KQ7 was just absurd.

I enjoyed MOE, but it was more about slashing monsters than solving puzzles, it was almost a RPG since you got those upgrades from time to time. That's why I feel it doesn't fit with the KQ series, which was more about slow-motion-gotta-think adventure, not about fight-hundreds-of-monsters-till-you-get-to-next-level.

In my opinion, the best were 4, 5 and 6, in no particular order. Storytelling was quite good in those 3.

Zachski
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Zachski » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:44 pm

In MODERN 3d? On one condition: They bring back the classic Quest for Glory point-and-click interface, and they don't make the flavor text and conversations so frigging small, and they go back to either an improved version of Quest for Glory 3's battle system or Quest for Glory 4's battle system.

In Quest for Glory 5 3D? Not a chance. That 3D detracted from the story telling, and the way they did the environments made it hard to see the things you needed to click on... which, since the move-talk-action was all on one button, made things a little more complicated. And in an adventure game, the only thing that should be complicated is the puzzles, not the interface. And the combat was sort of a hack 'n' slash deal, which really threw me.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#18 Post by Vildern » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:44 pm

I would definitely try it, though I fear it might not have the feel other installments in the series had (that is to say, I think I'd like it less).

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#19 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 am

I'm a Sierra nut, and I would download and play anything in any way related to a Sierra series. You betcha!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#20 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Kings Quest games did get better over time (until Moe) but Roberta Williams having creative control doesn't neccesarily mean everything. She's no Midas touch if this is to be included. I watched some clips on youtube and it is the grossest thing I have ever seen.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#21 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Of course not, but it is still worth nothing that MOE had a very disjointed development and the end result was not what it was intended to be. I don't care what game it is or who made it, unless a game is developed from beginning to end by the same person or rebooted if it wasn't, it's going to be lacking.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by AGP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Can't think of anything I'd rather play. Jot me down for a big YES.

DaemonDarqueGS
Peasant Status

#23 Post by DaemonDarqueGS » Tue May 03, 2011 2:36 am

Would I play a QFG VI if it was in modern 3D... This is actually a really tough decision. I grew up with the old sierra games and I dearly loved the QFG series. I was an absolutely horrific typer and I played QFG2. It stressed me because I typed so badly and was not computer knowledgeable.

I had my first introduction to 3D when it first came out in its infancy and it had, unfortunately, chosen to make it's introduction in the series I had dearly loved: QFG and GK. I had played those games to death. To this day I have never played QFG5 and probably never will. When I saw the models, I detested them. They were, to me, horrific and I swore off watching anything that had 3D in it or play any game that had 3D in it. The very first 3D game that I ever played, or can classify a game as 'anything not 2D', was The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. I grew to a grudging respect for it then and now it's not bad. I don't mind it in games, if it's done right. Mass Effect series is really good at it.

I'd play QFG6 in 3D if it had the quality of 3D from some of the newer games such as the ME series, or The Witcher. I would prefer it to not be 3D at all because that's just not what QFG is to me, but if it was done well, I guess I'd have no real complaints with the 3D itself.

sgtZzzeke
Peasant Status

#24 Post by sgtZzzeke » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Dont know if F.E.A.R was the last Proper game Sierra was involved with, but i sure would like to see Codename Iceman in HD.....but i couldn`t realy get around how to drive that submarine...dont think i ever got any score on that...and it crashed too! But it was a cool game!So how about a HD remake? :rollin

kingalexander
Peasant Status

#25 Post by kingalexander » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:18 pm

as long as it is as good as qfg5 or better i would.