Colonel's Bequest update

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

dkornblet32
Peasant Status

Colonel's Bequest update

#1 Post by dkornblet32 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:29 pm

I was wandering when colonel's bequest would be done, about what time frame.

thanks

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Colonel's Bequest update

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:36 pm

I hope whoever told you that AGD Interactive was working on a remake of Colonel's Bequest didn't charge you for that information, because if that's the case, somebody owes you a refund.

dkornblet32
Peasant Status

#3 Post by dkornblet32 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:56 pm

nobody charge me, I just wanted some info when it would be out, if that is okay.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:23 pm

There is no CB remake, nor will there be one.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:04 pm

As Adeyke stated, we never started a remake of Colonel's Bequest, nor will we start one. I'm curious where you got the idea we did, though.

dkornblet32
Peasant Status

#6 Post by dkornblet32 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:54 pm

I just saw the game with updated pictures in 2007 on this site and i thought that there would be a new game but i'm wrong and i'm sorry.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:43 pm

I think I get it. You saw a thread (or threads) about a remake someone PLANNED to do in our game making forum and thought it was official AGD Interactive material. For your information, nothing in that forum is official AGDI material...it's a forum for other people not affiliated with our team to discuss game making. I suggest checking it again. If nobody posted a recent update, it might be safe to assume the project/projects went belly-up, as many fanprojects tend to do.

Broomie
The Enigma

#8 Post by Broomie » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Have you checked Kazaa?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#9 Post by DrJones » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:40 pm

I checked on internet and in another forum someone said that the project was cancelled.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:25 pm

What? CANCELLED? What am I gonna do with THIS?!?

Bt

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#11 Post by DrJones » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:34 pm

I took some of your Colonel's Bequest backgrounds to learn how to use AGS. They are pretty useful learning tools. :D

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:37 pm

That's cool! I mean, right on - glad stuff like that actually finds practical use in people's hands.

Bt

Adamantyx
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Adamantyx » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:55 am

Nuuu, why was the project canceled? :cry
I was really hoping that a remake would be made since my mum and I love this series so much. Is there any chance it might be taken up again? :(

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 am

I'd be surprised if the person who started that project so long ago is even still reading this.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by gargin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:40 pm

It was never entirely clear who dkornblet32 was talking about when he mentioned the Colonel's Bequest "remake". It's possible he may have been referring to the side project I was and to some extent still am working on to learn AGS. If it is the one I am working on it will likely be a long time if it ever is released. Like many people my situation has changed dramatically since I originally mentioned the project: Moved, got a new job, got married, started programming for work, lost all free time etc... So as such the work I am putting into the project is very tiny these days. Additionally with the exception of a few individuals who are very supportive I found the interest in the project to be relatively underwhelming.

If it's my project you are waiting on it's not dead but it's going at a snails pace and may not be released for a long time, if ever. Unless my situation changes or I took on some people to help that probably won't change. I do still check the forums here and over at Infamous Adventures though I rarely post. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have more questions.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:31 pm

I think you were referred to, yes, and you surprised me. :p

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by gargin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:50 pm

lol. I am not surprised you thought I was gone. It has been quite a while since I last posted. Even checking the forums has slowed down quite a bit. It was complete coincidence I happened to check the forums the day someone asked this question.

Adamantyx, I should probably clarify something as well. The remake I am working on is simply a point and click translation. What this means is that it's the same game only with mouse controls instead of the traditional text parser. As such while some graphics are being added the graphics will be the same as the original. The nicer backgrounds done by BT were more demos of what a CB remake could look like. BT like myself is an avid fan of the original Colonel's Bequest. Unlike me however he is good with graphics! :)

Anyways, I have mentioned most of this before in the original topic dedicated to this project so I won't go to crazy repeating myself.

-Gargin

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#18 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:11 pm

gargin wrote:The remake I am working on is simply a point and click translation. What this means is that it's the same game only with mouse controls instead of the traditional text parser.-Gargin
Aw, but at least throw in a couple of changes, maybe? Maybe add a new item here or there. Uncensor a previously censored scene. Put in some new gags. At least give SOMETHING new or different, even if it's just a few things here and there.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by gargin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm

pbpb33 wrote:Aw, but at least throw in a couple of changes, maybe? Maybe add a new item here or there. Uncensor a previously censored scene. Put in some new gags. At least give SOMETHING new or different, even if it's just a few things here and there
[New Items] - The problem with this is that I would have to rewrite parts of the story to include said items. Many items can be shown to people or are used as clues to determine what people are up to. I have added an object that I use for debugging but that's likely not going to be in any release unless I do it as a fun little thing like the suck blue frogs code in the QFG games.

[New Gags] - Honestly, I am not sure how I would do that. CB's humor is very subtle and many of the jokes are more related to the ways you can die. Rarely does the game just do something funny. Easter Eggs are very likely if I feel capable of doing them.

[Uncensor a scene?] - It could be my faulty memory but I don't recall any scenes in CB that are censored. Unless you mean the shower scene in which you only see shadows. Personally I feel the shadows were a very good effect to use in this situation as it almost leads to the scene being humorous as opposed to watching someone get brutally stabbed. I don't know if that was their intent when designing the game but it's a moment where you slap yourself and just kinda chuckle as you should have or did see that coming.

Honestly, I don't know that any of that is possible without changing the feel of the game. I am not a professional script/dialogue writer and I doubt that I could mimic the personalities to match the original writer. As such much of what I did would probably feel forced or just plain not fit.

There are some things I can update without it feeling forced. Due to the change in control scheme I have created a new conversation system and inventory system similar to the mouse parser games. With this new inventory system I am creating new inventory icons though I am doing my best to make them look "retro" like the original items pic. It has been suggested that I create a notebook to track things as you progress through this game and I am seriously considering that possibility. Laura picks up a notebook in the beginning of the game so it would fit. The problem is that it would have to be seriously limited as you don't want laura's notes to give away everything about the storyline and solve the mystery for you.

I do appreciate the feedback and it's not that I am completely against the idea of making changes but The Colonel's Bequest is a rather difficult project to remake even without changing the story/graphics. I would LOVE to redo the graphics and make the game more appealing to people but without a group of dedicated individuals that's unlikely to ever happen!

Thanks for the interest.
Gargin

Adamantyx
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Adamantyx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:19 am

Ah, I see. Still, that would be sweet to have (since my mum hates having to type, lol). It would be awesome to see some new graphics, but if you're just working on it by yourself then I can see how that might be an issue.

I really hope you finish it some day. I'm young, I can wait ;) :p

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#21 Post by eriqchang » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:02 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:What? CANCELLED? What am I gonna do with THIS?!?

Bt

OOH! Another Steven background retouch. I love these.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:10 am

Hahah.... thanks, though that was just a quick retouch I threw together as a gag. With a bit more work, it'd look pretty nice, I think.

Bt

torrazk
Peasant Status

#23 Post by torrazk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Here's a shot of the attic.
Attachments

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]