Crash on game start

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

zeteginara
Peasant Status

Crash on game start

#1 Post by zeteginara » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:47 pm

QFG2 consistently crashes when it starts. There are 2 different possiblities.

Either I get an "illegal exception" message box with this:

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x7C911053 ; program pointer is +1004, ACI version 2.72.920, gtags (35,20)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

in Room script (line 51)

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.
OK

Or I get the standard (Qfg2vga.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

After this, the Application Event Log has an error that states:

Faulting application qfg2vga.exe, version 2.72.920.0, faulting module libavcodec.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x001a56fd.

I am using Windows Server 2003 and using the games default settings.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Crash on game start

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Which screen does the game crash in? Do you see the AGDI logo movie, and does the game make it as far as the title screen before crashing?

From looking at that line of code, it seems that the game is crashing when it tries to play the AGDI logo ogg theora movie file. Your system must have some kind of issue with Theora.

Try the following things:

-Run winsetup.exe and choose a different graphics driver to see if that helps.

-In winsetup.exe, see if running the game in windowed mode bypasses the error.

-After running the game, quickly press ESC and hold it down. This might bypass the movie and skip directly to the title screen.

Also, make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX installed as well as your video card's latest drivers.

zeteginara
Peasant Status

#3 Post by zeteginara » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

You are correct in your assumption, I see the "Quest for Glory II" splash screen followed by the legal info, and then there is a long pause, followed by the crash. I have gotten the game working before, on both other computers and, strangely enough, this one.

I've tried every combination of graphics filter and windowed + fullscreen, doesn't work.

I've also reinstalled my graphics card drivers and directx.

Pressing and holding ESC AS SOON AS I press "play game" doesn't help either... it rapidly bypasses the aforementioned 2 screens, and then crashes the game soon after.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure what to suggest in regards to this, as I have no control over how the Theora player functions.

You might try posting this error on the AGS Technical Forum here:

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?board=2.0

Maybe Chris Jones, the AGS engine's creator, will be able to tell you exactly what's happening based on the error code you're receiving.

zeteginara
Peasant Status

#5 Post by zeteginara » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Looks like I stumped them :)

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.ph ... ic=39860.0

Still no replies. Ah well.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:27 pm

As far as I know, Chris Jones has not been around for a while, since he has been busy in real life lately. He will most likely reply to your thread when he sees it.