Any way to use antialiasing in QFG2 remake?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

inflikkt
Peasant Status

Any way to use antialiasing in QFG2 remake?

#1 Post by inflikkt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:00 am

hi agd + everyone. have totally loved this remake :)

just recently i discovered that in dosbox there is an option called 'scaler' which u can use to blur the edges of the graphics to make them look nicer, (i.e. 2x, hq3x, supereagle, etc) since discovering this i have been replaying everything!! lol, this led me to wonder if there is any way to enable an antialiasing effect in the graphics in your games? I kno they arent dos games so dosbox is obviously out of the question.. but it would be really awesome to see these games in smooth edges instead of the blocky standard...

is there a way? i guess probably not but oh well, i had to ask...

cheers on the remake, game rules anyways :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Any way to use antialiasing in QFG2 remake?

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:04 am

Run the winsetup.exe file in the game directory. There might be some scaler options there. But QFG2 was made with AGS 2.72 not the AGS 3+ latest version that's out now so it might not have them. Doesn't hurt to check. I know scalers ARE in AGS 3+ games for sure. So the latest versions of KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA+ will have them.

haradan
Knight Status

#3 Post by haradan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:05 am

If you start the game via launcher.exe rather than via qfg2vga.exe, you can select "Settings" and there you can choose from a variety of graphic filters which will give you the smoothness you are looking for. Mind you that the game might get rather slow, sometimes too slow.

EDIT: Ah, MI just beat me to it. Yes, running winsetup is the same as selecting "Settings" from the launcher. And yes, there are some options even if it is in AGS' old version.

inflikkt
Peasant Status

#4 Post by inflikkt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:20 am

ooo its sexy now!!! :) thnx all... my only other question then is can i adjust it to run on a widescreen monitor in fullscreen without stretched graphics? I would much rather the sides be black borders than the graphics be stretched.. grr, stupid widescreens.. hate em. i suppose theres always the option of adjusting my desktop resolution to the size of the window but it would be nice to run fullscreen.

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:08 pm

It's all based on your monitor's settings. Some monitors can detect 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions and adjust accordingly. Most can't, though. It's sad. I much prefer CRT monitors still to these flawed, resolution-blurring, aspect ratio-stretching LCD contraptions.

inflikkt
Peasant Status

#6 Post by inflikkt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:09 pm

yea, i hear that. stupid widescreens. whats more appealing about a screen being more rectangular than square anyways? lol. i guess its good for movies, but are computers really supposed to be designed for watching movies? lame. anyways thanks for the swift replies. at least it looks nicer now :]

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Well it is very nice for games that support widescreen (every game nowadays). But for older games it's an absolute nightmare.