Future Agdi Games.....

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Shalkar
Peasant Status

Future Agdi Games.....

#1 Post by Shalkar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:39 pm

Well, I'm courious. Is this it for AGDI's fan made projects? I'm just courious is all. Thanks for being a good team of folks to provide us with the entertainment and remakes throughout the years since 2001.

Let us know if there are any more remakes in production. Police Quest II The Vengeance sounds good.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Future Agdi Games.....

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:25 pm

We already mentioned after QFG2VGA's release that we weren't going to start any more remakes. That statement is still valid.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#3 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:31 am

They should concentrate on more commercial games. Three remakes of that caliber are enough. Seriously, especially with QFG 2 taking over 7 years (the single most ambitious project I've ever seen thus far!), I think they'd want to lay the remakes to rest.

Anyways, I haven't been here in a while, what's the latest word from Himalaya studios?

Till next time stay cool 8))

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:28 pm

Erpy wrote:We already mentioned after QFG2VGA's release that we weren't going to start any more remakes. That statement is still valid.
Very cleverly worded!

Bt

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#5 Post by Klytos » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:43 am

I kinda thought that myself BT. Erpy is the undisputed master of the carefully worded phrase.

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#6 Post by eriqchang » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:15 pm

LOL!

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Schrijvertje » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 am

While I'm sad to hear that the talented people of AGDI will no longer bring back enhanced versions of childhood memories, I think it's only natural they are now using their talents in other ways. They have done great jobs in the past and I'm sure they'll do even better in the future. I also hope they'll break through commercially and that someday we'll find their original games on store shelves. I know the attention these days is on online payment and direct downloads, but such a way of acquisition is beyond me at the moment. I do hope it doesn't become the norm, otherwise I'll be forced to make that step myself (but this is a completely different discussion).

Mostly I feel sad because, even though there are many attempts started at remakes, AGDI at least finished them! That shows not only the talent I mentioned, but also dedication. If only "real" developers still had that state of mind, the realm of adventure games wouldn't be in this sorry state.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Schrijvertje wrote:Mostly I feel sad because, even though there are many attempts started at remakes, AGDI at least finished them! That shows not only the talent I mentioned, but also dedication. If only "real" developers still had that state of mind, the realm of adventure games wouldn't be in this sorry state.
Hey, watch it. LucasArts and Telltale have done pretty dang well with SoMI: Special Edition and Tales of Monkey Island.

Broomie
The Enigma

#9 Post by Broomie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Mostly I feel sad because, even though there are many attempts started at remakes, AGDI at least finished them! That shows not only the talent I mentioned, but also dedication. If only "real" developers still had that state of mind, the realm of adventure games wouldn't be in this sorry state.
Ahem. And Ahem.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#10 Post by DrJones » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Also, hero6 and Indiana Jones and the fountain of youth. :D

crackerjack
Peasant Status

#11 Post by crackerjack » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:00 pm

That's really sad to hear that AGD won't be making any new remakes ... :\

Thanks for the work you did on the previous remakes, and good luck for your future!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:17 pm

hero6 and Indiana Jones and the fountain of youth
I think he was referring to projects that were finished and released.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#13 Post by DrJones » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Hehe, it was a small piece of humor. Really, I don't know which one of those two has been in development for more time. :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:21 am

Hero6 was started in 1999 and FOY in 2000. In fact, Hero6 had its 10th birthday earlier this month.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#15 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:33 pm

Erpy wrote:Hero6 was started in 1999 and FOY in 2000. In fact, Hero6 had its 10th birthday earlier this month.
Except Hero6 is currently dead and awaiting resurrection, if I read this thread correctly.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm not really certain if "moving on to Hero7" (as it were) would really solve anything. According to that thread, one of the problems is a lack of motivation. Yeah, you reach that stage eventually. The first stage of a new project is always one big sugar buzz, with everyone having wild ideas and putting preliminary material together to form a first build of the new game. You don't need motivation at that point because everybody is bouncing around from enthusiasm. But eventually, you'll get to the tedious part again. Unavoidably. And the tedious part with a QFG-like game can take a loooong time to chew through.

I don't really see the practical difference between starting a new project with Hero6's assets and simply sticking with Hero6, but killing its plot and putting it into the hands of one member and one member only who has dictatorial control over it. Maybe there really isn't a difference and this is exactly what they're talking about in that thread.

Nevertheless, times have changed. In 1999, Hero6 was the only one of its kind and the Sierra community was massive and active. 10 years later, its activity has died down a lot and the remaining part of the community has different views on things. (I'll leave it up to debate whether people became more jaded or less naïve)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:21 pm

Erpy wrote:Nevertheless, times have changed. In 1999, Hero6 was the only one of its kind and the Sierra community was massive and active. 10 years later, its activity has died down a lot and the remaining part of the community has different views on things. (I'll leave it up to debate whether people became more jaded or less naïve)
In my opinion, a lot of it has to do with the resurgence of professional adventure games, both new intellectual properties and remakes of classics. Fangames were good to get us through the drought but things are beginning to pick up again; as such, the fandom is beginning to gravitate away.

Adamantyx
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Adamantyx » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:29 am

It saddens me to hear that no more remakes will be made... but it's understandable. I've played AGD's remake of QFG2 over quite a few times and you guys did an absolutely wonderful job, I'm always impressed. It's games like this that make me wish I knew how to program and make games of my own. :)

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#19 Post by rugged » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:45 am

Erpy never said their wouldn't be another remake. Just that another one would not be started, I have my money on one more game from agdi

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#20 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:11 am

eriqchang wrote:LOL! < hint hint >
How did I miss this? Is the "hint" that, although new remakes are not going to be started, perhaps an unreleased remake will be finished?

haradan
Knight Status

#21 Post by haradan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:39 am

pbpb33 wrote:
How did I miss this? Is the "hint" that, although new remakes are not going to be started, perhaps an unreleased remake will be finished?
Mhh, take a look:
Erpy wrote:We already mentioned after QFG2VGA's release that we weren't going to start any more remakes. That statement is still valid.
Blackthorne519 wrote: Very cleverly worded!

Bt
Klytos wrote:I kinda thought that myself BT. Erpy is the undisputed master of the carefully worded phrase.
And then recently Eric said something was cooking on the AGDI cauldron.

A new remake? You bet!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#22 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:03 am

As some that has full access to all the behind the scenes forums, I...

...am not allowed to say anything. :)

haradan
Knight Status

#23 Post by haradan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:06 am

navynuke04 wrote:As some that has full access to all the behind the scenes forums, I...

...am not allowed to say anything. :)
Ah, hype, hype! :lol

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#24 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:58 am

get Musically Inspired in here. That guy is the hype master.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#25 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:34 am

I have my own thread for that lol.