Future Agdi Games.....

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

haradan
Knight Status

Re: Future Agdi Games.....

#26 Post by haradan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:30 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:I have my own thread for that lol.
Yes you have, but I'm afraid you haven't kept your word about the updates. I think it's time for a big update or hint. Or isn't it just yet? ;)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#27 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:17 pm

I mentioned in that thread that it was harder than I thought to come up with good hints every couple weeks so I said that I wouldn't do it unless I came up with something really good.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#28 Post by DrJones » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:09 pm

I was going to burn a CD with a lot of AGS games, but I'll wait a bit to see what comes from this deal. If it's a new game, I'll play it a lot. :D

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#29 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:30 am

that's a great idea. I think I'm going to make a Sierra DVD. Adventures on the go. get all my collections together.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#30 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Already did that :). Although I couldn't fit all Sierra games on one disc. I separate them into franchises. I called one the King's Quest Treasure Chest Collection and put everything King's Quest related on it. Made an installer and an autorun menu and everything. It has pretty much every version of a King's Quest game (that matters, besides MOE) on the disc. Like EGA/VGA, AGI/SCI alternate versions and such. Was fun. Still haven't finished them all yet, though.

haradan
Knight Status

#31 Post by haradan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Yeah, in fact, MI even made and shared some nice DVD covers for some of those collections. Not sure if they're still online, though.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure you should hold your burning for at least one more game! I will! ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#32 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:58 am

I'm betting I could get all my vivendi collections on one disk along with my QFG anthology. I just wont have launchers and stuff.

MK
Peasant Status

#33 Post by MK » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:40 am

I am still hoping for a QfG 3 Patch to fix missing/non-existant content. But I think Erpy mention that the effort required to do such a task, it would be easier to just redo the game. Still I like the idea.
http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... 38#p193938

R.A.B.I.D.
Peasant Status

#34 Post by R.A.B.I.D. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Erpy wrote:According to that thread, one of the problems is a lack of motivation. Yeah, you reach that stage eventually. The first stage of a new project is always one big sugar buzz, with everyone having wild ideas and putting preliminary material together to form a first build of the new game. You don't need motivation at that point because everybody is bouncing around from enthusiasm. But eventually, you'll get to the tedious part again. Unavoidably. And the tedious part with a QFG-like game can take a loooong time to chew through.
Yep.

I've done the math on this: In the late 80s and early 90s, good 256-color adventure games could be cranked out in about a year by a team of two or three programmers, two or three artists, a musician or two, and a couple of writers/project directors; approximately 8-10 people. It's more if you include QA, pencil-pushers and marketing folks, but let's say 10 for the sake of argument.

Critically, they're being paid money. They're working full-time — eight hours a day, plus overtime.

Fan remakes are accomplished by volunteers who aren't being paid... so instead of spending 40-50 hours per week on the project, the volunteers (assuming 10 volunteers here) only spend 4-5 hours per week. Thus, remakes even of relatively simple games take ten times as long to make... if they even get made, that is. At least 95% don't, and it's probably more like 99%.

That's why I've been endlessly impressed by AGDI's ability to follow through and deliver a quality end product, time after time, earlier than I would usually expect. The QfGII remake is probably the best game in the series, even when compared with its prequel and sequels.

crackerjack
Peasant Status

#35 Post by crackerjack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:40 pm

I decided to browse through old posts today and when I re-read this one I finally got it! :lol

(Relating to the beginning of the post)