New PC Games

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

evokejake
Peasant Status

New PC Games

#1 Post by evokejake » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi all :)

I have recently replayed all of my sierra/Lucas Art games as well as these fine remakes, ToMI and such. My question to you fine Sirs and Sir-ettes is, can anyone direct in a direction towards newer PC game releases that are worthy of a play-through?
I kicked my WoW addiction months ago and am really just looking for some fun Adventure/RPG/Strategy games to play. I tried playing my copy of Age of Empires 3 recently and although the premise still holds up, the graphics just don't. Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions and let he games BEGIN!!!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

Re: New PC Games

#2 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Umm well if it's adventure in the point and click style that you're looking for, http://www.pointnclickgames.com/ has some a bunch of very different things to try out. For strategy I always fall back on 'Heroes 3', okay it's not new but it's still good times. Fallout 3 is a huge and fun RPG (as are the two previous installments) and I've heard good things about Dragon Age.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#3 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:54 am

If you liked Tomi you could try Strong Bads Cool Game For Attractive People or Sam and Max. Broken Sword is also a set of solid and humorous adventure games.
For Strategy I'd recommend Civilization IV if you haven't already or if you want something newer Brutal Legend as it's also in that wacky actionadventure/strategy genre.
For RPG I also recommend Fallout 3. I still play it pretty regularly and I got it when it was released 18 months ago, there's always new stuff to find in it. Dragon Age is more for the knights and mages kind of RPG players. There have been no good JRPGs for a long time though if that's what you're into. It's been kind of a drought.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by crayauchtin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Has anyone actually tried Dragon Age yet? All I keep hearing is "I hear good things" and I'd really love a firsthand account. :P

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:40 pm

I can't say, but I've also heard a lot of good things from friends that are currently playing it.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by crayauchtin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:45 pm

DrJones wrote:I can't say, but I've also heard a lot of good things from friends that are currently playing it.
...and so it continues! Argh! :P

Chief
Knight Status

#7 Post by Chief » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:22 am

not new but this game is pretty cool and i just discovered it. it has a free demo too! :)

http://www.torchlightgame.com/about/

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:18 pm

That looks pretty cool Chief, I might try it out. The idea of level randomization makes me nervous though, the last game I played with that feature (a terrible game that involved a castle but I can't remember what it was called) bugged out really REALLY badly and, what should have been a cool feature that added variety to the game ended up being dull and frustrating.
I dunno though, this one looks cool.

Chief
Knight Status

#9 Post by Chief » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:30 pm

let me know what you think.. i've only played it twice but it is very smooth so far and i probably will end up buying it since it's so cheap. i like that you have a dog going along with you and you can pick up different people for your party (despite it not being multiplayer)!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by Lady Pyro » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:30 am

You get a DOG? Man, Now I'm sold. I'm going to try it out this weekend!
(This is not sarcasm, for some reason that really excites me)

Chief
Knight Status

#11 Post by Chief » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:53 am

yeah it's pretty cool!! from the demo so far i found out that you can feed it and it will get special abilities, and it also helps you attack enemies! :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:59 pm

I dare any modern game to have the level of detail that Daggerfall had. Or more.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:02 am

I thought every town in Daggerfall looked identical and that the gameplay was tedious.

MusicallyInspired

#14 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Yes, and some would say thats the whole problem with DF: it's so detailed it's tedious.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:49 am

Elder Scrolls only got better in my opinion.

MusicallyInspired

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Yes, but that wasn't the point of my initial post.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#17 Post by Lambonius » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:49 pm

For those curious about Dragon Age, I have it for xbox360 and I've played it all the way through once, started a few new characters after that but never went back through the entire game. It's a very good game--probably the closest to the KOTOR games that Bioware has come in quite some time.

That said, I was disappointed by a few aspects that were mainly the result of the console port--the graphics are nice, but clearly have been scaled back in the 360 version to they point where they look pretty bland in spots. If you have the hardware for it, definitely get it for the PC. Also, in the console version you can't queue up commands in combat, which makes things a little tougher than they need to be.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the game has some difficulty balance issues. By the time you are about halfway through the game, combat is downright HARD on the Normal difficulty--unfortunately, bumping it down to Casual makes things a bit too easy. It's a minor gripe though. Also, you get a lot of totally useless loot pretty much all the way through the game and you have a limited inventory, so you end up having to drop a LOT of stuff to keep the few worthwhile items. Supposedly the PC version has a patch that fixes this, but they never implemented it for consoles.

Aside from those few gripes, it's a great game that is definitely worth checking out, particularly if you are into fantasy stories with intricately crafted worlds. The story is very good, and the amount of "choice" options that alter bits of the story seems pretty endless, particularly on your first playthrough. The voice acting is great, and the characters are all memorable and interact with each other in amusing ways. I enjoyed my time with it quite a bit, despite my few gripes. Bottom line: If you liked Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel, you will definitely like Dragon Age.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:44 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Yes, but that wasn't the point of my initial post.
well if it's detail you're looking for you should check out Grand Theft Auto, the people don't look good but the landscape continually surprises me.

For me the best graphics of all time are in Metal Gear Solid 4 but considering the area and detail Grand theft auto IV has better graphics overall. I would even go so far as to say GTAIV is more detailed than Elder Scrolls II