major combat problems

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Seraphina004
Knight Status

major combat problems

#1 Post by Seraphina004 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:20 am

I am still in the beginning of Trial by fire and I am having major problems with the game's combat system. I just can't seem to win, I keep getting killed. I haven't managed to kill even one bad guy yet. First I tried as a magic user, then I decided to start the game over again and play as a fighter so I could have a sword and shield, a better chance of winning a fight. But right now, nothing works. Either the keys on my computer are not working, or the game has a bug in it and is not working properly because the hero will not respond to my commands! I push and push the keys as fast and hard as I can but the hero will not obey. I've tried that combat auto assist thing, I think I have it turned off. It is not much help when the bandits throw dagger after dagger at me without giving me a chance to duck or dodge or raise my shield it is not fair how fast the bad guys assault the hero without giving me a chance to respond. So why aren't the combat keys working? Could it be that my computer is too old, or is it the game?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: major combat problems

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:40 am

It's possible your stats are simply too low. (at the beginning, they're too low to easily slay monsters) Sidestepping and blocking with your shield have a chance of failure if your parry/dodge stats are too low. (although pressing them should make the hero perform a motion, there should always be some response)

Have you tried practicing with Uhura at the guild? Also, you can probably lower the arcade difficulty in the options menu so the enemies become easier to beat.

Seraphina004
Knight Status

#3 Post by Seraphina004 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks Erpy I figured out what was wrong. I needed to adjust the keys on my combat options. now I have it fixed. I have been practicing combat with Uhura. I got my hero's strength up to 87, his health is 95, his stamina 91, weapon use 101, parry 87, and dodge 83. I know I need to work at dodging a lot, I am bad at that. Do i need to raise my stats any further to defeat monsters? I mean I can't die from fighting with Uhura, but in a real fight with the monsters/bad guys they will kill my hero. I'm on the third day now, with the fire elemental, I spent the second day practicing with Uhura at the guild hall, first day I explored, talked with everyone and exchanged money with Dinarzad, bought some pills. Wait a minute, I might be on the fourth day, I've seen Shema dance and heard Omar's poetry, seen the tree-woman in the desert heard Aziza's story about her. How sad, poor lady I want to free her.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Depends on your class. If you're a fighter, that's still kinda low.
I got my hero's strength up to 87, his health is 95, his stamina 91, weapon use 101, parry 87, and dodge 83.
Parry and dodge are relatively reliable in their 110...120. When they reach 140, they always work as long as you get the timing right. If Weapon Use is raised above 105, you'll get a secondary slash attack that can pile on the damage A LOT quicker. Getting Parry above 110 will give you your first counterattack, so you can actively retaliate against enemy attacks. Between 110 and 120, you should be strong enough to battle the lesser monsters.