Quest for Glory Anthology Installer

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Senor Matt
Knight Status

Re: Quest for Glory Anthology Installer

#26 Post by Senor Matt » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:38 pm

I used the installer and all of the games have been working great so far. Thanks Goilveig!

Zephyrla
Peasant Status

#27 Post by Zephyrla » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:54 pm

awesome program! this saved me many hours of trying to remember how to use dosbox!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#28 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Goilveig wrote:Here's another question maybe someone knows. I tried emailing NewRisingSun but the email address is dead. Which are the newest patches of his?

http://tawmis.com/collector/Patches-Upd ... dates.html seems to have larger patches that change more files, while http://www.geocities.com/belzorash/ seems to be his official site but has smaller patches with fewer changes. None of the patches have version info, they all claim the same fixes.
I know this is thread necromancy but I googled this exact problem and it brought me here! I wonder if Goilveig ever checks the forums anymore because what he's done here is awesome. I recently manually patched QFGIV and try to run it in dosbox (.63 that came with SQC because I didn't know there was newer) and everything but my voices seem to work. I know this has been a problem for many and I wondered if anyone knew if this installer fixed it. I don't have my CDs on me at school so I can't try it myself. I think Erpy said something about editing the resource file but I never remember exactly what. The reason I quoted this post was to bring up that I always use the geocities patches, never knew there was another site.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#29 Post by DrJones » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:37 pm

There are two Quest for Glory Anthology installers, I think. I haven't tried this one because I don't want to install +500Mb of .NET framework to run this ~2Mb installer. There's another on the QuestForMoreGlory site, which was initially made for the Quest for Glory Collection but theoretically also works with the Anthology.

Anyways, the only one installer that gave problems on that CD was the QFG4 one. I bypassed that by using Dosbox and the DOS installer that was on the QG4CD directory. The voices work as long as the CD is kept on my drive, and the CD-rom drive is also mounted in dosbox (if D: is your CD-Rom drive, then you have to write "mount d d:" on Dosbox).

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#30 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:53 pm

I just take my QFG4 folder and paste it onto dosbox to ensure the saves work and stay where I want them to. as I said I don't have the disks with me I know there's a way to edit the file so it doesn't need the disk I just don't know what. (my folder is really a pasting of the folder from the cd) I was using the collection.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#31 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Bam Double post! So I went over to Quest For More Glory when googling (it's surprisingly hard to find stuff on QFGIV) and someone there back in Feburary wrote that the .cfg file has to be re-written to

Code: Select all

videoDrv = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = GENMIDI.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = .\
cmd = QG4CD
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

resAUD = .\
resSFX = .\
patchDir = .\;.\patches
audiosize = 63k 
This didn't affect the voices in my game at all when I mount my QFGIV folder but it did drastically change the music quality. There were instruments I had never noticed before and it was playing directionally in my headset which it didn't before. Now that's cool and all but it didn't affect the speech which is really all I wanted. I've tested a few areas and my patches are all in order so the game is playable but without Katrina and narrated voices what's the point.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#32 Post by Erpy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:33 pm

And you're absolutely sure that the resource.aud file has been copied into your game folder? That's the file that contains the voices.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#33 Post by DrJones » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Try to change the "resAUD=.\" to "resAUD=E:" (E: is my CD drive, might be D: on your computer). That's how it's configured in my resource.cfg, at least.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#34 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Erpy wrote:And you're absolutely sure that the resource.aud file has been copied into your game folder? That's the file that contains the voices.

There's the Resource file that says it's a "000 file", it's roughly 11mbs
DrJones wrote:Try to change the "resAUD=.\" to "resAUD=E:" (E: is my CD drive, might be D: on your computer). That's how it's configured in my resource.cfg, at least.
I mount the folder that I have all my QFGIV files in it and type sierra into dosbox to start it. This way I don't have to deal with directories when saving.

I have: Resource, 000 file, 11,301kb.
Resource CFG file, 1kb
Resource SFX file 2,566 kb
resource Win file 1kb
Resource.map, map file, 11kb

I think the fact it says 000 file might be the problem.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#35 Post by DrJones » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm

No, no, no, agh! :x

Resource.000 is the file with most of the logic/graphics of the game, then there's resource 001, and then depending on the game there are resource files 002, 003...

Second. ResAUD is the directory where the game looks for the audio files. Unless you copied all the files on the CD on the same directory in your hard disk, ignoring subdirectories, your game is looking for the audio files in the wrong place. Unless, as Erpy said, you have on your QG4CD directory a resource.aud file. Try a simple windows search for the file. :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#36 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:15 pm

That would be the issue then, I thought 000 was the audio because they seem to be around the same size. I don't have the .aud or my CDs with me. Is there anyway I can still get it without the cd? Obviously not the whole game a la abandon site but just the .aud file.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#37 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:50 am

Heh, resource.aud is (from the top of my head) well over 400 MB. You're not gonna find it online. You'll have to get it off your CD. It should be in the root directory.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#38 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:04 pm

damn, my cd is 900 km away.

Isakiel.silvae
Peasant Status

#39 Post by Isakiel.silvae » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:05 pm

That was amazing, i finally was able to play my anthology again thanks to you... One question though. I'm not well acquainted with Dosbox and i'm not sure how to get my qfg 4 character imported to qfg 5 since the character isn't going to show up in the import files. Thanks