Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD)

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD)

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:03 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

I was Wiki-surfing today about interesting topics and came across this. This disc uses holography to store data and is based on volume-based reading rather than surface-based reading like current media discs (3D as opposed to 2D). HVDs can apparently store 1 to 10 Terabytes of information.

I also read that potential write speeds are 1 gigabit per second and read speeds are 1 terabit per second for related media.

Quite interesting stuff! Although it says that they probably won't market them until 2019-2020. It's a considered media storage device for Ultra HD Video. Whenever that happens. Another storage media considered to be the next media standard is the SVOD.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Re: Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD)

#2 Post by Spikey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:57 pm

That is interesting. I'm immediately thinking about tv series that can be stored in it's entirety on one disc.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#3 Post by gamecreator » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:58 pm

I may be reading it wrong but there seems to be conflicting information on the wiki. From the 5D DVD page:
5D DVDs ... could result in discs with a capacity of 10 terabytes, approximately 2000 times the capacity of a standard DVD, compared to Holographic Versatile Disc technology, which only has an estimated maximum disc capacity of 6 terabytes. The similarity of disc writing would also make it easier to make 5D DVD players backwards-compatible with existing CD and DVD technology.
Also says they expect it to be ready commercially in "five to ten years."

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:52 pm

I said it wouldn't be ready until 2019/2020. And yeah, on the HVD wiki it also says 6 TB. But on the side bar it says 1-10 TB. Weird.