Dagger of Amon Ra (LB2) "Good" Ending a Disappointment?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Dagger of Amon Ra (LB2) "Good" Ending a Disappointment?

#1 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:02 am

Anyone else think the "good" ending to LB2 was a bit of a disappointment? (see clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qwos8WPVVo ) I felt like they dropped the ball here and finished this part hastily (and uncharacteristically for Sierra, whose games usually had a lot more polish and seemed to have been designed with a lot more care, especially between 1987-1993). There are misspellings and grammatical errors in some of the text, and several of the "where are they now" blurbs repeat themselves in that final, monotonous segment right before the credits. Seems like the game testers didn't spend much time going over the text in this ending sequence. They should have given a fully animated scene for each of the "where are they now" segments for each character.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Re: Dagger of Amon Ra (LB2) "Good" Ending a Disappointment?

#2 Post by Spikey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Well, I always regard the last two acts as an elaborate, interactive ending. Though, after all that work, the where are they now portraits are not really rewarding / satisfying.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:57 pm

You know, I never beat LB2. I didn't enjoy it as much as The Colonel's Bequest so I never went too far in it.

Bt

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by rugged » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 pm

I would suggest giving it another cracck BT. It is slow to start but the pace cracks on as you get further along. Then again I may be baised as playing it is one of my great childhood memories

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Yeah, it gets a lot better later on. It's a lot more unforgiving than LB:TCB though. In the first game, you were mostly an observer who wasn't in direct danger unless you did something stupid and getting the good ending was fairly easy. In the second game, you WILL end up dead unless you get things exactly right.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by pbpb33 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:16 am

Yeah, I actually thought the Act 5 chase sequence was really great! I loved how they kept up the suspense through most of it (though I think it would have been even more exciting if, just as she answers the riddles correctly and is allowed to pass through to the furnace room, they had shown the murderer enter the worship room, fire a few shots and scatter the crowd. I also think they could have done without the elevator music scene breaking the suspense, the overly cheesey "sis boom bah" cheer/chant and the gets-old-fast lisp of Najeer, and I also thought the snakes and deadly rats (?!) puzzles were a little too adventure-game-trite, though the game redeemed itself with having them all come out the mouth of the dinosaur! That was genius!) There were some real inspired moments in this game, but I felt like a lot of the dialogue could have been more engaging and trimmed (with more genuine personality and less cliche character types!), some of the storylines made a bit tighter, and the sarcastic narrator/text descriptions could have had less of an indifferent tone. And why didn't the surviving characters seem to care much that dead bodies were laying all over the place? Kind of kills the believability. Still, I loved the memorable close-ups of all the victims, the creative ways they all died, the great music and backgrounds... but there was too much wandering around empty rooms and hallways that made you sometimes forget the story. As for the final sequence after you answer the coroner's questions, I wish they would have made it no less elaborate than the intro sequence with many new animated scenes. Those "what becomes of them" character updates at the end also seemed kind of half-assed and tacked on... they were bland, corny and almost insulting to a player trying to get into or care about the story. I would have preferred a scene with Laura reflecting on her whole ordeal... maybe resting back home in Louisiana... in a really happy, peaceful scene... holding her fake dagger in one hand and the award from the police in the other... right before some kind of fun surprise at the end... kind of like the endings of Basic Instinct or Murder by Death. And why not show a scene with her being given the award by the police department? Sheesh, I think the player deserves it!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#7 Post by Spikey » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:You know, I never beat LB2. I didn't enjoy it as much as The Colonel's Bequest so I never went too far in it.

Bt
Unacceptable.