Quest for Glory 3 remake?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Whattahero
Peasant Status

Quest for Glory 3 remake?

#1 Post by Whattahero » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:59 am

Are they going to make a qfg 3 remake?

If not, then can I download the qfg3 vga from [AN ABANDONWARE SITE] and put my character from qfg2 in it?
Last edited by adeyke on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reference.

adeyke

Re: Quest for Glory 3 remake?

#2 Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:13 am

There won't be a QfG3 remake. The game is already VGA, so remaking it would be an immense waste of time.

If you own QfG3, you can import your QfG2VGA character into it. However, it's not legal to download the game, and we don't allow pointing to abandonware sites here.

Whattahero
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Whattahero » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 am

oops! heh...sorry about that...

Well thank you!

Iceberg
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Iceberg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Interesting...this has got me thinking. Even though I know a QG3 remake won't happen, I don't think it would be a waste of time. In my humble opinion, QG3 was a great game (amazing setting, music and atmosphere), but one with a lot of missed potential. I think that a QG3+ remake would be awesome...can you imagine the following?

- Thief classes allowed to sneak into and burgle houses in the Liontaur quarters of Tarna at night.
- The concept of honor is central to QG3, so it always struck me as odd that your honor doesn't really do anything (besides determining when Paladin skills are granted). I think that a thief (or any character) who gets caught doing something really bad should be stripped of honor in a ceremony just like Harami's. It would be an interesting alternative to the standard "oops! you got caught stealing!" death scene and would force you to rebuild your honor by doing good deeds before the merchants and other city denizens will trust you (or in some cases, even speak to you) again. Getting caught a second time would, of course, result in death. In a game that gives so much weight to the concept of honor, it would be nice to see real emphasis on how NPCs react to you based on your honor level.
- Somewhere to actually practice climbing!
- Perhaps a few more monsters, like the southern Cheetaurs that are alluded to in the original QG1 manual, and Goblin Pygmies, who would sometimes swarm you en masse (like Jackalmen) at night if you're sleeping in the jungle.
- A revised system that actually makes it a challenge to become a Paladin.
- An expanded Lost City.

I could go on and on...

gamecreator
Knight Status

#5 Post by gamecreator » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Good points, especially about the missed potential regarding honor. It would have been great to see a more thorough QfG3.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by crayauchtin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 pm

I absolutely agree -- so much potential was missed in QfG3!!

Limburglar
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Limburglar » Tue May 04, 2010 6:41 am

QFG3 is my favorite because it was the first game of the series that I played. It already kicks arse, but how much effort does it take to "modify" an existing VGA game?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Tue May 04, 2010 11:00 am

A lot. You can't really modify it, because the game's source code isn't publically available, so you'd still end up recreating it from scratch.

Zachski
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Zachski » Sat May 08, 2010 1:02 am

IMO, even though it'd never happen, I'd rather see a QFG5 "De-Make"

Going from QFG4 to QFG5 is awkward. The way the background is pre-rendered makes it hard to tell what is an interactable object and what isn't. The 3D graphics have less artistic value than the sprites. And IMO, it just didn't feel like a QFG game. Also, it didn't help that the interface was made so user un-friendly. Talking/interacting/walking was all done with the same icon, so clicking around didn't help because you'd either accidentally interact with/talk to someone while walking somewhere, or walk past them while trying to interact/talk with them.

And you can't just go to your inventory, click an object, leave the inventory screen, and then click it on someone. You had to put it on a hotbar.

Ah, but that's enough of my rant :|

FACSGrad
Peasant Status

#10 Post by FACSGrad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:31 pm

QfGII remake is spectacular. A thousand thanks to all involved.

Are there any patches out there for QfGIV? I've only been able to play through it once (as Paladin) due to bugs, bugs, bugs. Is there a thread or separate site regarding getting the most out of my QfG Anthology version of QfGIV?

It's been so long since I've used DOSBox, I will need to relearn. What I'd like to see is not so much a remake of the VGA games but something that allows them to be easily ported to Win7, etc. Is that closer to the realm of possibility than remakes?

What would it take to get the QfGIII and other codes released?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:34 pm

You can get patches to play most Sierra games without timer bugs here.

adeyke

#12 Post by adeyke » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:57 pm

DOSBox already allows the games to be run on Windows 7. The Sierra Help Pages have a lot of new installers that do all of the DOSBox configuration for you, leaving you just a shortcut to start the game.

FACSGrad
Peasant Status

#13 Post by FACSGrad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:26 am

Wow, thanks a septillion, gents. My dreams of finishing QGIV again are soon to be true!

I liked QG5, but a de-make of that would be equally spectacular.

FACSGrad
Peasant Status

#14 Post by FACSGrad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Holy Rakeesh Sah Tarna, namtaB! Sierra Help is where it's at! I've never had an easier time setting up my QGAnth! I got that QGAnth installer for DOSBox and good lawd, I was functional in under five minutes! Who put that box of magical goodness together? Give that man the triumphus! Did that installer include patches, too? I see there are some patches in the QGiv folder, especially, but are there others still needed? The sound quality, it is better than I have ever experienced, especially in QG3! All these years, I never had it set up properly. It is time for celebration! Baby, let it set you loose! For the brothers Erpy and adeyke, this one's for you!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:07 pm

You should thank the folks over at Sierra Help...particularly Collector. We just pointed you in the right direction. And I THINK those installers contain the patches. BTW, you can also play QFG1...QFG3 with ScummVM these days. (not QFG4 yet...since it runs on an unsupported version of the SCI engine)