Interesting news RE: Quest for Glory 4.5

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

Interesting news RE: Quest for Glory 4.5

#1 Post by Blake00 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:49 am

Hi guys!

Been a while since I dropped in here (Been visiting for almost a decade, I still remember posting nerd rants in the old forums saying "make sure you put the enterprise in the remake intro" haha. But the timing is appropriate to visit again as after nearly 10 years since I last played it I just finished QFG1 again as all 3 characters in eager preparation to play the awesome AGD QFG2 remake. You guys have truly made an old nerdy dream come true for me, thankyou!!!

Anyway in between QFG1 and 2 I decided to play another fan AGS game QFG4.5 as it's a fan sequel from 2001 that has you returning to Spielberg to solve a whole bunch of new problems. I'm sure the veterans of this place know of it as its known throughout most of the QFG & AGS communities as people either love it (for its humour and new Spielberg adventures) or hate it (due to some of its offensive content) lol! Personally I loved it as I found it really enjoyable going back to all my old favourite locations & characters from QFG1VGA and seeing what was new and exploring the new locations added to the game.

I couldn't for the life of me get my old dos version of the game that I used to muck around with working now with even dosbox or vdmsound but I managed to find a rare windows version of it at curleys world of freeware (dunno if its a permitable link so I won't) which was still a bastard to get working (ended up using a windows shortcut with -setup to get into setup instead of the dos batch file that came with it) and played it. I used the only walkthrough in existence from the AGS Walkthroughs site but unfortunately it had many mistakes forcing me to post on a few different forums discussing the game for help. I ended up working it out myself & completed the game with max points and decided to improve the walkthrough, chuck in some compatibility tips to get it working & make a map to help the communities.

However over at infamous adventures my query seems to have stirred an interest in getting the source and updating the old game to the latest AGS version! This would eliminate all of the current problems with getting the game to work on modern systems and possibly fix some other bugs too!
http://www.infamous-adventures.com/foru ... ic=1263.15

So for anyone that was ever interested in the game there's 3 snippets of news here:

1 . There's a rare windows version at curleys that works better on modern machines
2 . In the next few days my walkthrough & map will be finished and available for the communities allowing easy completion & maximum enjoyment of the game!
3 . Hopefully (fingers crossed) an updated version of the game may be worked on
Last edited by Blake00 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Interesting news RE: Quest for Glory 4.5

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:32 am

I actually have the source code to Quest for Glory 4.5 burnt to a CD somewhere. For some reason, the designers decided to post it online way back when, so I grabbed it while it was available.

If you have trouble locating it elsewhere, I could take a look for it.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Blake00 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Brilliant! :)

If the folks at infamous adventures have trouble finding the source code I'll let ya know!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Well, I found the source code but it's so old (compiled in the DOS AGS editor) that not even AGS v2.56, the earliest alpha windows AGS editor I have, will open it. I guess you'd need to compile it with the last-made AGS DOS editor, recompile it in v2.56 or so, recompile it again in v2.72, and then recompile it yet AGAIN in v3.1 or v3.2. Have fun hunting down all those old editor versions!

Oh, and also, the source doesn't have any of the MIDI files included.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Blake00 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:06 pm

lol oh dear.. thankyou very much for checking it out AGC2, I'll pass on the info.

Forgive my lack of knowledge in AGS but if none of the windows AGS builds can load the source how is there windows version of the game running around? I'm guessing the DOS editors could still build windows versions?

Hmm I just took a look at my windows copy of the game from curleys freeware. AGS version 2.30.221. Wow that is old!

Oh and Alliance the guy wanting the source appears to still not have a copy yet. His email is allianceman@gmail.com

Alliance
Knight Status

#6 Post by Alliance » Sun May 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Ah, yes. There was quite an interesting amount of discussion going on over at the Infamous Adventures boards about this.

I have a lot of spare time on my hands; I really wouldn't mind re-compiling and shifting the code over.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:26 am

Alright, check your PM's Alliance.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 pm

Yeah, I couldn't find my copy of the source code. Hopefully it all works out for you, Alliance.

Bt

Alliance
Knight Status

#9 Post by Alliance » Mon May 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Was awesome getting this in a PM. Alas, the file won't even extract from the 7zip Self-Extracting program.

I'll keep looking at different ways to possibly open it (won't work on my Windows machine, either), but if you have the time to make a zip or a tarball of this, it would be much appreciated.

Edit: Issue fixed. And wow, I'm using ROOMEDIT.exe to try and get things updated, but it won't allow for script editing, and it won't save due to some cryptic error with line 597.

It's going to be a loooong day.

Edit 2: Moved over to the Windows machine, got the script editor in RoomEdit working. My god, this is worse than I thought. While it saves just fine with the ROOMEDIT that was shipped with it, it springs a horrific amount of errors, such as "Too many if/else statements", and when you try and fix that, it tells you "This particular line might be missing a semicolon."

At the very least, it's possible to export all of the scripts, items, and assets and try to patch it together in a Windows editor.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Blake00 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:42 am

Well judging by the talk at Infamous Adventures the remake situation isn't looking good haha, I'm not sure if Alliance has thrown in the towel or is deep in the games bad coding as I type this lol, but no matter as the good news is I am finally finished!

Have made up a Quest for Glory Series page and put in probably the world's only fan page for this little game (yeah I know my notepad webcoding sucks lol) and chucked in some QFG 4.5 pictures, a link to that rare windows version, and most importantly my finished QFG 4.5 Walkthrough & Map! The Walkthrough also contains a rough guide to getting the game working on modern machines.

If anyone feels like replaying the game feel free to use my walkthrough & map (should only take a couple of hours armed with these) and let me know if you have any troubles or find new quests/objects/npcs/easter eggs I don't know about & I'll update the walkthrough.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d ... Index.html
Last edited by Blake00 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 am

Blake00 wrote: If anyone feels like replaying the game feel free to use my walkthrough & map (should only take a couple of hours armed with these) and let me know if you have any troubles or find new quests/objects/npcs/easter eggs I don't know about & I'll update the walkthrough.
Have you considered doing a narrated playthrough video of this game to post on YouTube, assuming you're still able to run the game ok? Seems like you'd by the right guy for the job. Those videos are fun to watch.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Blake00 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 am

pbpb33 wrote: Have you considered doing a narrated playthrough video of this game to post on YouTube, assuming you're still able to run the game ok? Seems like you'd by the right guy for the job. Those videos are fun to watch.
No I haven't actually, you're right they are quite popular these days and I've been planing on doing a playthrough of my website's Star Trek Doom level for YouTube but I hadn't thought about doing one for QFG4.5. Although people normally do them with commentary and I have no microphone or webcam lol.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by Blake00 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:17 am

Darnit! I just tried to test record the game (with a future youtube playthrough in mind) but had no luck. :(

First I tried with Fraps 3.2.2 but when I hit the record button nothing happened and no recording was made but I'm guessing that's because this is a dos game and Fraps was built to record windows applications using directx. I then tried ZSoft Screen recorder 2.6 but all that did was make the screen go black and recorded just the sound to a video file.

Has anyone had luck recording old AGS games in the past? or know of a different and/or better game video recording program I could use?

alfdaur
Peasant Status

#14 Post by alfdaur » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:20 am

You might want to check out dosbox http://www.dosbox.com... I believe it features video recording now.

Not sure about sound, but seeing as you probably will need to edit your raw video before posting anyway you could always add the audio track afterwards (not sure if dosbox records the audio as well as the video, but if it records the audio as well you could always make 1 track of you speaking, and mix it with the audio track from the game (and reduce the volume of the latter to put it in the background :))

edit: not sure if the AGS part is true dos though, or if it requires some windows API's. if it is the former you should be golden :)

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Blake00 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:34 pm

Nah unfortunately one of the reasons why this game is half impossible to run these days is because it doesn't run in Dosbox (since as you say its not true dos) which means I can't use that to record a video either sadly.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#16 Post by gamecreator » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Try Camtasia Studio. It has a fully-functional, 30-day trial.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by Blake00 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 am

thanks I'll take a look! :)

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by Blake00 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:03 pm

It worked!! Although not with Camtasia Studio lol. The download was taking for ever (its 160mg on a slow site) so while waiting I started reading forums posts about it when I saw one talking about several other small and completely free programs like Hypercam. I downloaded it and it worked first time! Was easy as!

While I still don't have the ability to record a narrated play through (no mic or webcam) I could at least do some videos of the intro and gameplay to show the game to people so I've done a couple on youtube and embedded them on my page!

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d ... Index.html

It hilarious that after all those weeks of messing around and searching that I end up accidentally stumbling across a recording program that does it properly lol!

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by Blake00 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:08 am

Already got some feedback about my walkthrough. Looks like you can rob the Jones's house at night lol how did I miss that!!

Also apparently there's some party of adventurers you can bump into in the forest who are looking for the treasure map (you get later from the book store) and if you're a mage they'll give you a free spell but the person didn't tell me where in the forest you can bump into them or what the spell is! Will update my walkthrough when I have more information.

Let me know if any of you have experienced this event.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by Blake00 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:20 am

Well the day has finally come! I’m releasing Version 1.1 of my QFG 4 ½ Walkthrough!

I’m very sorry I took a year and half to do this but it was hard to find the motivation to come back and replay the game multiple times as multiple characters, all for the second time haha!

I’d like to once again say thank you to all those who contacted me about the walkthrough either in the forums or by email. Your information helped me a LOT!

As always if anyone has any new information or errors to report after playing the game please let me know. I promise further updates will happen much quicker if they are required!

You can download my map and updated walkthrough from my Quest For Glory 4 ½ Webpage .

Version 1.1 Changes (thanks to lots of helpful feedback from fans!):
- 2 new suggestions to get the game working.
- Meeting a band of forest adventurers who can teach Magic Users the Leprechaun Gold spell.
- Using Leprechaun Gold on various NPCs.
- How to break in and steal from the Jones’s House.
- Many more fixes, changes and improvements to various quests.

Known Bugs & Issues:
- Random crashes when sleeping till day or night (not the smaller rests)
- Random crashes when looking at your stats (particularly at start of game)
- Always crashes when you try to play cards with the rednecks
- Rumoured corrupt savegame issue (I didn’t succumb to it through because I rotated between 4 savegames to be safe).
- The food on the tree at Erana's peace (after kicking out the hippies) doesn't seem to sustain you.
- Stealth & Run modes don’t seem to work
- Stamina & Mana potions don’t always work. Health potions can become everlasting.

Unsolved Mysteries In The Game:
- The true purpose of the Camouflage cape is unknown
- You cannot seem to do anything in the spores area, may just be authentic decoration this time
- You can visit and chat with the now alcoholic depressed Hermit at his cave and at the bar yet he appears to have no related items or quests.
- The ghost’s murderer is almost impossible for the Thief & Magic user to defeat in combat due to it being monumentally difficult to raise their health & stamina points. No alternative strategies have been found to beat him.