Some questions and thoughts

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Some questions

#26 Post by Brainiac » Mon May 24, 2010 2:37 am

Huh. You're right. I thought it did charge. I probably got it confused with something else. Anyways, I've got a high-stat Paladin who can take out any undead with about two usages of the Destroy Undead ability and it's complete with ectoplasmic explosion.

Oh, and by the way, the page with the video you mentioned is actually Update 118, not Update 120.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 24, 2010 2:45 am

Corrected. No idea how I inserted the wrong link. Sorry.

You probably had it confused with spells in QFG4, which you can charge before firing to overcome incoming enemy spells or Wraith magical defenses.

Well frak. What version/patch of QFG 5, and what system are you running it on? Any ideas why I am unable to get the same effect?
Also it takes me like 4-5 hits to kill a Manos, maybe that has something to do with it... after all, gibbing in games tends to happen only after a damage threshold has been crossed. No idea how I could increase the power of mine though, like I said I have max honor and just about everything else in my savegame.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#28 Post by Erpy » Mon May 24, 2010 10:53 am

Is it possible the difficulty level in QFG5 has something to do with it? I know the level determines how many HP the enemies have.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 24, 2010 12:31 pm

"Jar-Jar, you're a genius!"

(Darths and Droids reference, in the remotely possible case that you didn't know that).

Wow. That was really a simple answer, wasn't it. The reason it never came to mind is that 1. I'd never think to play a QFG game on less than max difficulty (except this remake if the Speed slider were ever implemented) and 2. It's counterintuitive and, frankly, a crappy arrangement that the game effectively punishes you for playing on higher rather than lower difficulty.

But yeah. That was the answer. Thanks for the help, guys.

EDIT: still doesn't gib Manes on easiest difficulty, for me, they take two hits, but it gibs all other undead. Real shame we can't mod that game...

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#30 Post by crayauchtin » Mon May 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Markus Ramikin wrote:Wow. That was really a simple answer, wasn't it. The reason it never came to mind is that 1. I'd never think to play a QFG game on less than max difficulty (except this remake if the Speed slider were ever implemented) and 2. It's counterintuitive and, frankly, a crappy arrangement that the game effectively punishes you for playing on higher rather than lower difficulty.

But yeah. That was the answer. Thanks for the help, guys.
It's not really a punishment, is it? I mean, it's just more difficult.... which is the idea. :P

I'm glad my advice in 3 worked out for ya! :)

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon May 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Yeah well I consider the pretty gibbing animation to be part of the reward, not of actual difficulty. And since this isn't based on the Doom engine ;) it didn't have to depend on damage! At least for the ghosts. Oh well.

Mm, now there's a thought, the Doom engine. Quest for Glory meets Hexen:Beyond Heretic. I'd so play that game.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#32 Post by Erpy » Tue May 25, 2010 6:25 am

I think it's like you said, gibbing takes place as an effect that's coded into the game when a damage overload takes place and on hard mode monsters tend to have too much hp for this to easily occur, so it's not so much a punishment as in...let's deny players on higher difficulty the opportunity to make their enemies go boom...but more so a side-effect of having monsters with higher defense/hp.

Zachski
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Zachski » Sat May 29, 2010 12:14 am

Markus Ramikin wrote:Yeah well I consider the pretty gibbing animation to be part of the reward, not of actual difficulty. And since this isn't based on the Doom engine ;) it didn't have to depend on damage! At least for the ghosts. Oh well.

Mm, now there's a thought, the Doom engine. Quest for Glory meets Hexen:Beyond Heretic. I'd so play that game.
Dude, if I knew anything about coding Hexen, we could try to code a FPS QFG game with it, based off of the original games.

A lot would have to be changed to support the engine, but the way I see it, we could do the following things.

1. Fighter = Fighter. Give him only one weapon, a melee version of Quietus (give it a new graphic, so it doesn't glow though), but also give him a permanently higher A.C. We could try to implement a stat engine so we could have objects check for it when hit so they could be bashed in.

2. Mage = Magic User. Give him a melee weapon, a dagger, and his blue mana weapon, the zap spell, (which he should start with) should be an electric version of that dagger. And then he can learn Fire Dart, a ranged spell, fairly early, and have it use green mana. In the second "world" (the second game, actually), he could gain the ability to temporarily fly (if that's even possible) to mimic the Levitation spell, and he could also learn a blue mana spell, force bolt, that knocks enemies back (if it's possible to code more than four weapons per characters)

3. Cleric should be revamped entirely to become Thief. He gets a dagger for his first weapon just like Mage. I'm not sure if it's possible to program backstabs, though... and for his blue mana weapon, he gets throwing daggers. And his green mana "weapon" could be a sneak "spell" that turns him invisible while steadily draining his green mana. If that's possible.

4. For later worlds, we can add a Paladin class that's much like the Fighter, only his weapon is flaming and deals more damage, he gets a blue mana weapon that lets him heal himself, and a green mana weapon that blasts evil (since I doubt there's an undead check, because there's no elemental check either. Seriously, I can kill Wendigos, ice creatures, with the ice shards spell very easily. Easier than Ettins.)

NPCs could just be sprited objects that say one thing when you talk to them.

QG1 might be a bit confusing to do with the forest, and enemies would have to be placed in parts of it.

QG2 Would be fun to do, what with a giant desert. We could add a Saurus item that lets you teleport instantly back to Shapeir with endless use, except it gets taken away when you go to Rasier)

QG3 would also be fun to do with the savannah.

QG4... same as QG1.

QG5...? I'd like to forget QG5 exists :<

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#34 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sat May 29, 2010 5:05 am

That's all or most of it possible based on what I know some other mods do, but I don't have the know-how. :) It's a nice thought, though.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by Markus Ramikin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:25 am

Hm, problem. I redid the game as a fighter again, I have 500 after defeating Ad Avis... then after the ceremony and Paladinhood I have 545. What gives? isn't it supposed to be worth 50?

EDIT: OK, I get it. It's not a guaranteed 50, but depends on Paladin Points gained. And I had not given the beggar money a second time, which earns 5. Good thing that was something fixable at day 15...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#36 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:10 am

Correct, your paladin points are added as puzzle points if you accept the title. (and only then)

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Re: Some questions and thoughts

#37 Post by Markus Ramikin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Just had a moment of fridge logic or fridge brilliance depending on how you choose to look at it, and I figured I'd share for all the rest of you to groan at ;).

You know how in QFG 4, the townspeople are annoyed that they cannot enter Dr. Cranium's place because of the doorbell puzzle. Of course along come you, the hero, clever enough to solve all the puzzles until you can meet the scientist. Feeling good about yourself? Just think: that apparently not-too-bright gravedigger, Igor, must have done all that before you, since he now works for Dr. Cranium himself.

I mean sure, it's possible Cranium actually emerged from his lab to hire him, but IMHO it'd be far more in character for him to do so only because Igor impressed him by happening into his lab. That probably started because the bells attracted Igor's child-like personality so he played with them until he figured them out, and once the door opened he got curious.

I can just see that entire scene in my mind, Igor meeting Dr. Cranium, and it's hilarious. Also, I like the idea of Igor being more clever than his speech patterns indicate.

/random thoughts

Zachski
Peasant Status

#38 Post by Zachski » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 pm

Igor's actually pretty clever. I mean, he has to come up with all those puns, you know.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#39 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Or maybe Dr Cranium met Igor while scouring the graveyard for dead bodies to "experiment" upon and figured it was easier to have someone else do the delivery chores for him. Dr Cranium does go outside from time to time, like the time he dug up that bush from Erana's Garden.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#40 Post by Markus Ramikin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Yeah, that's possible. I like my theory better, though. :)

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#41 Post by Markus Ramikin » Wed May 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Does anyone have an idea where QFG 5 saves its settings, in particular the keyboard setup?

Every time I play this game - which is about once every 1-2 years - I have to reinvent my favorite setup anew, which is annoying. I'm the kind of a person who likes to save such things for future reinstalls if possible. But I can't find which file does it, and it's making me curious. qfg5.cfg is only 4 bytes long and obviously isn't it...