Monkey Island 2 Special Edition

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Chief
Knight Status

Re: Monkey Island 2 Special Edition

#26 Post by Chief » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:18 pm

oh well, i guess if you use mac then you should run it on a VM.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#27 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:14 am

It's because Aspyr does most porting for LA and they are affiliated with Gameagent, a direct competitor to steam. So I can get both games from LA directly for mac I just can't get the steam deal that's going right now.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#28 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:16 pm

You can now pre-load MI2:SE on Steam in preparation for the release tomorrow!

Chief
Knight Status

#29 Post by Chief » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:26 pm

awesome, i preordered so i am all set! thanks!!

MusicallyInspired

#30 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:44 am

I just downloaded and tried out the PS3 DEMO version of the game. Here are my observations. I bolded some important parts that might be of more interest.

Just tried the demo. I'm surprised at how faithful the MT-32 soundtrack in classic mode is to a real MT-32! There are differences. It's not 100% accurate but it is 99.99% accurate. Woodtick (which sounds very nice on a real MT-32) sounds absolutely horrible in classic mode here. Inside the huts of Woodtick sound perfect but outside the huts sounds very very bad. Like they used the horrible Piano patch from the MT-32 for some crazy insane reason. I have no idea why. It's supposed to be a bass and organ and the "Soundtrack" patch (which wasn't even recorded in either classic or special edition mode). Hopefully it'll be possible to patch the classic soundtrack with proper recordings from the MT-32 when resource file viewers for MI2:SE present themselves.

The iMuse is VERY satisfactory. It's not exactly 100% like playing the old game in MIDI but it's so close even I have trouble telling the difference. None of you will notice a difference. One thing I did notice, however, is that in certain sections they only use one version of the transition (such as when Largo leaves...there are a few variances of transitions in the MIDI version...only one in the SE). But for others it seems perfectly intact.

I'm very impressed with the graphics and animation as I knew I would be. The direct control for Guybrush is also very nice and intuitive when using a controller. And the ability to switch it off is nice. Same with speech in classic mode. Fits well. But you cannot turn off subtitles in classic mode when speech is activated, if some of you were looking forward to that. There are no awkward pauses between dialogue lines this time around. It feels and sounds very natural. Also, Neil Ross as Wally is excellent!

Everything impresses me. The biggest thing I wanted to check out was how they handled the soundtrack, and while there are a few screwups (Woodtick was a big one...worse in classic mode than SE mode, however) I'm very impressed and satisfied. They must have actually acquired an actual MT-32 and recorded everything from the raw iMuse MIDI files themselves when putting it together for classic mode. It's stunning and very enjoyable.

The only thing is you'll not be able to enjoy the classic version of the intro theme. In fact, you won't be able to enjoy the intro sequence at all because it doesn't exist. It's no where in the game. I was hoping that you'd be able to see it from the menu with the options to select to view the classic or special edition credits. Unfortunately, they're both just regular text scrolls with the SE version of the theme playing. No classic intro guys, sorry :(. On the upside, the special edition version of the theme is very well done and true to the original.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by crayauchtin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:36 am

Sooo, I'm thinking of getting a new PS3 (my old one is in the possession of my ex :( ) but I'm not sure I have a TV it will work with anymore (we had hooked the old one up to the ex's TV...hence why I let him keep it). So this is probably a really dumb question but.... what wires does it use to connect to a TV? What are the specs a TV needs to have? :\

Lambonius
Knight Status

#32 Post by Lambonius » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:33 am

Any of the current generation consoles should be able to connect to a plain old analog TV provided you use standard red/yellow/white A/V cables, which should be packed in with the consoles. If you have an HDTV, you'll want to spring for the more expensive HDMI cable, which provides a SIGNIFICANTLY better picture quality. :)

For the best possible experience, I would recommend a decent sized flat-screen TV capable of 1080p HD output. You can find some 32 inchers for pretty reasonable prices nowadays. Like I said, make sure you connect with an HDMI cable and you should be good to go.

MusicallyInspired

#33 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Don't bother getting a 32" 1080p TV. 1080p is overkill for a TV that small. I have a 32" 720p TV and I barely notice the details from across the room. 1080p really is only appreciatable at 40" or above. But as far as game consoles go, all games only run in 720p anyway. Few games actually support 1080p resolution and even FEWER of those actually run in 1080p as their native resolution, the rest are all upscaled so you won't notice the difference. Put simply, you don't need 1080p unless you're gonna spring for a much bigger screen.

HDMI cables aren't that expensive. I live in Canada and a good HDMI cable is only $20.00. That's all you need to spend max. Don't worry about brands from Sony for the PS3 or Microsoft for the XBox or anything. They're all the same and there's absolutely no difference. So don't worry about compatibility issues or anything.

Chief
Knight Status

#34 Post by Chief » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:40 pm

Just got to try out MI2 for a little while and I was very impressed. it is a beautiful game and they did such a wonderful job in recreating it. love the music and interface too. can't wait to get to play it some more.. i missed this universe!!

Lambonius
Knight Status

#35 Post by Lambonius » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:36 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Don't bother getting a 32" 1080p TV. 1080p is overkill for a TV that small. I have a 32" 720p TV and I barely notice the details from across the room. 1080p really is only appreciatable at 40" or above. But as far as game consoles go, all games only run in 720p anyway. Few games actually support 1080p resolution and even FEWER of those actually run in 1080p as their native resolution, the rest are all upscaled so you won't notice the difference. Put simply, you don't need 1080p unless you're gonna spring for a much bigger screen.

HDMI cables aren't that expensive. I live in Canada and a good HDMI cable is only $20.00. That's all you need to spend max. Don't worry about brands from Sony for the PS3 or Microsoft for the XBox or anything. They're all the same and there's absolutely no difference. So don't worry about compatibility issues or anything.
You're right about 1080p on smaller TVs, though it really does depend on your viewing distance. I used to live in an apartment with a fairly small living room area, and I could definitely tell the difference in resolution when I had my TV set at 1080 vs. 720. Granted, it was still negligible, but it is there.

As for HDMI cables, there can be some drawbacks to getting cheaper cables versus more expensive ones. When I first got my HDTV, I went with a cheaper 20 dollar cable for my xbox, and found that I was having terrible screen tearing issues with almost every game. I switched to a more expensive gold-plated Monster cable (around the 40 dollar range) and it made a huge difference. It really depends on your TV though.

MusicallyInspired

#36 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:43 pm

I bought the Sony HDMI cable "specifically" for the PS3 and it was only $20. No problems. My XBox HDMI cable came with it.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#37 Post by Spikey » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Am downloading it right now for my iPod Touch. Should be fun to waste time with this. >D

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#38 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:13 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:The only thing is you'll not be able to enjoy the classic version of the intro theme. In fact, you won't be able to enjoy the intro sequence at all because it doesn't exist. It's no where in the game. I was hoping that you'd be able to see it from the menu with the options to select to view the classic or special edition credits. Unfortunately, they're both just regular text scrolls with the SE version of the theme playing. No classic intro guys, sorry :(. On the upside, the special edition version of the theme is very well done and true to the original.
Not exactly. The original intro is inaccessible within the game itself, but it's there - you just have to dig for it.

MusicallyInspired

#39 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Yes, you can extract the original unaltered game files with Monkey Island Explorer and play it in ScummVM....but we can already do that. The point is it's not available in Special Edition mode. And that's a huge issue.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#40 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Agreed. However, the presence of the old intro would be a good way to get some new people interested in the older LucasArts games if you didn't have to dig so deep to access something buried in the game code. I don't think many people new to the franchise(s) would feel much motivation for that.

MusicallyInspired

#41 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:00 pm

People who have the XBox or PS3 versions generally won't be able to. Or iPhone. Or iPad.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#42 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 pm

it's under 5 minutes of a cut and only a few jokes, I don't see what the big deal is.

Chief
Knight Status

#43 Post by Chief » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:12 pm

what was the old intro i forget now? maybe it's online somewhere?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#44 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:it's under 5 minutes of a cut and only a few jokes, I don't see what the big deal is.
People are serious about their dancing Monkeys, QFGFan. SERIOUS.

Bt

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#45 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:
Quest For Glory Fan wrote:it's under 5 minutes of a cut and only a few jokes, I don't see what the big deal is.
People are serious about their dancing Monkeys, QFGFan. SERIOUS.
Just ask Klytos. :p