24-Hour Gaming Marathon for Children's Miracle Network

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

24-Hour Gaming Marathon for Children's Miracle Network

#1 Post by Kurdt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:03 pm

Hey guys! Some of you may remember me, but to all the new people I say hello!

On October 16th, I'm going to be participating in a 24-hour gaming marathon to raise money for Texas Children's Hospital here in Houston. The Extra Life Marathon is a worldwide event that benefits Hospitals in the Children's Miracle Network all over the globe. Starting at 8am on October 16th, I'm going to start playing Sierra adventure games and I'm not going to stop until 8am on October 17th. My plan so far is to go through the first 7 King's Quests, all 6 Space Quests, the first 4 Quests for Glory, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, and if I have time I'm going to throw in The Longest Journey (not Sierra, I know, but I have the symbol of the balance tattooed on my arm so I feel obligated).

https://www.hospitalshelpingkids.org/Ex ... 0E7&e=EE35

Visit the link above to donate! They're asking for you to donate $1.00 for every hour I'm playing ($24 in total) and I'm trying to get 10 people to donate for me. If you're interested, your donation IS tax-deductible.

Donate today and help out a great cause!

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

Re: 24-Hour Gaming Marathon for Children's Miracle Network

#2 Post by Kurdt » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Oh, and I almost forgot! In addition to playing through all of these games, I am going to attempt to do so WITHOUT DYING ONCE! To reinforce this, I will NOT be saving early and saving often. In fact, I will not be saving at all. So again, visit my page and donate!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Wow, sounds like a fun-filled day you've got planned there! Had I any money I would totally donate. It's a great cause and just an awesome concept to be sponsored for :).

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#4 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Great cause and awesome concept. I've donated $24.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:24 am

Cool, I donated too - hopefully we'll help him get his goal. This is a really good charity, and it's cool that Cris is doing this.

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:27 am

I've donated too. So if you die in a game, are you obliged to start over? There's several sequences (KQ1 beanstalk, KQ4 Troll Cave, SQ2 root maze) that are downright horrible if you have to get through them without save/restoring.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:48 am

You are now another $24 closer to reaching your goal. If you actually achieve all that without dying once, you should go for a double-whammy and attempt a Guiness World record while you're at it. :D

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#8 Post by Kurdt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:59 am

I'm really scared about some of the parts, but I've actually attempted to go through each series without dying a few times. I don't recall if I actually ever succeeded (which I guess means I probably didn't as I'm sure I'd remember such a thing), but I figure since the charity is to help kids have a chance at life, it would be in poor taste to die, :\ . In the past when I tried, I would indeed start over with game 1 if I died, regardless of if it was game 2 or game 7. I think, for the sake of time and how much is on my plate, I'll forgo that rule if it happens this time. I mean, since I'm not saving at all, I'll at least have to start that game over, which in itself will suck majorly, but I just doubt I'll have that much time on my hands.

The biggest challenge is going to probably be the QFG series, just because of the stat pumping that needs doing as well as the fact that battle is kind of what that series runs on. I think if I razzle dazzle a few root beers and suck some blue frogs, though, I can probably float through 3 well enough and then my biggest challenge will be 4. Those will definitely be what I round the day out with.

Thanks for donating, guys! You are all awesome for doing so! All the rest of you, look at these cool people who are donating. I mean, who hasn't dreamed of being mentioned in the same vein as AGD2, Erpy, Blackthorne, and navynuke? I know I have. 8))

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Lady Pyro » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 am

My biggest fear in QFG4 wouldn't be dying, but random crashing. I wish you the best of luck though, it's a neat idea for a charity.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#10 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:34 pm

are you playing them at home or in a public place? I know I've spent 12 hours at a time just playing Quest For Glory 1