remakes of other qfg games?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Shadowdragon
Peasant Status

remakes of other qfg games?

#1 Post by Shadowdragon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 am

OK, so qfg 1 already has a remake that is pretty good, but what about qfg 3 and qfg 4? Qfg 3 needs to have it's points fixed so it's actually possible to get to 500 on all characters. It could also use some speed and bug fixes. Qfg 4 REALLY needs a remake to fix all the many bugs, and to replace the horrible combat system with something more like the one used in the qfg 2 remake. So, how about it? Even if there isn't enough in qfg 3 to fix (although the points issue is REALLY annoying) qfg 4 desperately needs a remake.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: remakes of other qfg games?

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:47 am

Sorry, but that's a bit like buying a new car every time the ashtray is full. Or rather...constructing a new car from scratch each time the ashtray is full. Even with the graphics already in place, such an endeavour would still take two years at least. (more for QFG4) It just isn't worth investing so much time, just because some players don't enjoy a battle system much or can't get 500 points. (there's a difference between "I think some points in a game could use improvement" and "a game needs a remake") As for the bugs, most of them can be stomped out with the patches from http://www.sierrahelp.com.

TheMetalPaladin
Peasant Status

#3 Post by TheMetalPaladin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 am

In a Quest For More Glory if you find Downloads find Quest For Glory 4 there are Patches only for CD Version the Download Version has no Voices and for QFG3 nothing need to be Fixed because People Dont care about the Documents to help them because of QFG3 Might have Bugs but Thieves and Magic Users might now Get All points so Remaking them both Is like Making A "Enhanced version of Quest For Glory 3 and 4" so It Wont help Making A Enhanced Version :rolleyes

Construed
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Construed » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am

http://www.gamersPlanet.tk
QFG multiplayer remake
Last edited by Construed on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 am

I think you made your point. No need to post it everywhere.

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by b74life » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 am

I don't get the idea remaking QFG3 or QFG4 because of the point system. But I still think it'd be worth the time to remake those games for different reasons.

If you're going to remake anything, remake QFG3 or QFG4 in hi res, add more content, change up a the puzzles and make the games more full and interesting. Like in QFG3, add your new combat system, make savanah/jungle travel more fun, add more locations (the game severely lacked those) and more/better puzzles (the game lacked those as well). Put a new twist on it and make the game as a whole better. The game already being in VGA doesn't mean it shouldn't be remade. The graphics could still use a new hi res overhaul.

For example: Add some danger to travelling without water, make the player have to find locations to refill. Make some of those locations gaurded by monsters. Take out the stupid croc guys and add some giant hyenamen or something. Have the fighter master spears or some other new weapon to add a dimension to fighting. Give the mage some new spells. Give the thief poisons for knife-throwing. Get into the egyptian mythology more. Have tombs and jackel-headed monsters, mummies, giant scarabs. Give the jungle something: treetop villiages, strange bird creatures in the jungle that worship Thoth. There's limitless things QFG3 was capable of that the creators just skipped. The simbani/leapordman thing was weak in my opinion. Egyptian mythology is rich with material.

Same with QFG4, make the tiny forest something bigger and put more things to do and reasons to explore. Add more monsters/traps and people to meet. Make that ridiculous 3-screen town bigger, like QFG2. Add people walking around and places to go. Sure it was supposed to be a small quiet town but 3 screens small, that's just lazy. Make the forest larger, add more Slovakian mythology to it. Giant birds, evil spirits, etc. Give the gypsies a shop with items the player has to actually work to gain (AND MAKE IT WORTH HIS/HER WHILE, not just useless junk). I mean seriously, did anyone playing QFG4 ever even check how many "kopeks" or whatever they had? I never did, the money was useless. Let's give the player cool things to buy if they do enough ass kicking. How about instead of weird tentacle armed people, we give the player some real fearsome enemies: Spawlings from the Dark One, Imps, Gremlins, other evil Russian spirits, Firebirds, Witches. That swamp looked grim, but those hands were lame... no match for a hero of the QFG4 skill-level. Let's give that swamp some giant spiders or reptilian beasts, maybe weird slime creatures. Let's make some powerful weapons/spells hidden out there so the hero has more reason to revisit and improve his/her skills. There sure were a lot of ghosts/undead in QFG4, let's make special weapons/armor to fight/defend against the undead.

There's a million one reasons to revisit Quest for glory, but making it "VGA" or fixing the points is not one of them.

Construed
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Construed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Sorry about that guys, Its very hard to find qfg fans these days :(
Wont do it anymore, thx moderator for not deleting.

ktchong
Peasant Status

#8 Post by ktchong » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 am

Construed wrote:Sorry about that guys, Its very hard to find qfg fans these days :(
Wont do it anymore, thx moderator for not deleting.
That was because it was very hard for anyone to find and buy Quest for Glory games. The game had been out-of-print for a long time, and old copies were selling on Amazon and eBay for exorbitant prices. The buyers were mostly collectors. Those older buyers were fans who were willing to pay high prices for the games, but those transactions were not creating new fans.

However, the situation has changed. Quest for Glory will likely gain new fans in the future due to two reasons:

1. GOG.com is now selling the entire Quest for Glory series for $10. GOG has somehow made the games work smoothly on modern PCs, (their expertise is to make old games run on new PCs; GOG = "Good Old Games".) So maybe that will allow new people to buy and play the game.

2. The upcoming Hero-U Kickstarter game may also create interests for the original Quest for Glory games.

Anyway, if ADGI intends to remake another Quest for Glory game, it should be the third game, Wages of War. Based on what I have read and observed, the third game is generally considered to be the least favorite one in the series. I was also my least favorite one. The game overall felt empty and lacking in contents, (because it was created as a filler between the second and forth games, the two most popular ones in the series.) The third game did not seem to have a lot of events, quests or plot points compared to the other games in the series. I felt the third game was the shortest. Maybe the first one was shorter, but then it felt longer and had more contents.

If ADGI does remake Wages of War, their priority should be to add new contents to the somewhat empty game, to "fill in the blank", to make it a fuller richer experience with more meat and substance.