Game too forgiving about basic needs?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Game too forgiving about basic needs?

#1 Post by DrJones » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:44 pm

I've got a really hard time trying to kill the Hero for lack of sleep, food, or water (this one if you don't spend the day at the desert, but I think I later tried it but died of overexercising, heh). I've even tried to drop all the food and then rest for days, but I only got the same menacing message for seven straight days (then something spoilerous destroyed the city).

Those "You start feeling hungry" and "Your skins are emptying" messages are excesively conservative, and only scare people that haven't seen the ominous ones that arrive later, which in the end are pretty laughable, too, as they don't seem to have any noticeable impact on you.

So I'll suggest tweaking a bit those values, so that I don't have such a difficult time killing myself. :x
Last edited by DrJones on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

Re: Game too forgiveful about basic needs?

#2 Post by Schloss Ritter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:04 pm

For some reason, sleeping doesn't stops those conditioins from fully incrementing. If you stay awake and starving for more than half a day (I think), you die.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Game too forgiving about basic needs?

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Hunger, thirst and lack of sleep are like status conditions. They're not death timers...they cause you to lose stamina at a steadily increasing pace. That means that resting or taking vigor/healing pills can basically let you last almost indefinitely, as does resting an hour with hunger or lack of sleep and high stats significantly improve the time it takes to die too. That's how it was done in the original game...we simply duplicated it. (the original may have been even more forgiving)

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#4 Post by XboxNation » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:42 pm

Erpy wrote:Hunger, thirst and lack of sleep are like status conditions. They're not death timers...they cause you to lose stamina at a steadily increasing pace. That means that resting or taking vigor/healing pills can basically let you last almost indefinitely, as does resting an hour with hunger or lack of sleep and high stats significantly improve the time it takes to die too. That's how it was done in the original game...we simply duplicated it. (the original may have been even more forgiving)

Hm, taking a pill with no water. Reminds me of the message I get when feeding the beast in the desert without having given him water first. Gagging slightly, the sounds that came with that action were so effective, I literally got up and got myself a glass of water before reloading and giving the beast a drink first (I felt that I should get points off for nearly gagging the poor thing to death through oversight, so I redid it.)

I think that if you continually take pills without water, perhaps there should be amusing death sequence where you gag to death on the nth pill you take without water, for realism that you shouldn't be able to restore your health indefinitely without it. Just an idea, don't know how much code or graphics that might entail in an update, but I think it would be hilarious. :lol

Ajanhuiri
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Ajanhuiri » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:32 pm

As an incessant OCDer (statistic maxer) who cheated by bringing a lot money to Shapier, I stayed awake often during the first few days.