Which of these is cheating?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kuhan
Peasant Status

Which of these is cheating?

#1 Post by Kuhan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:22 am

Like many people on this board, I decided to play through the entire QFG series from start to finish shortly before QFG2 came out. However, I decided that I would try and avoid cheating on my quest for glory. Because of that, I avoided using the Magic Mushroom glitch in QFG1, and I avoided maxing out my stats during character creation.

However, I was reading these boards and found out about the tricks to raise communication by repeatedly talking to the Griffon, and raise Honor by repeatedly greeting Rakeesh. I'm not sure whether I should consider these cheats or not, in my book, and avoid them. Certainly using those is no worse than say, spamming rock throwing, climbing trees, or picking nose, right? Any opinions?

Something that would further help put those into perspective: does the AGD team plan on removing those tricks in the future? What is their stance on those two tricks?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Which of these is cheating?

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:52 am

Both the Griffin and Rakeesh thing were glitches and will be fixed in future builds. They gave way too much experience for a repeatable action.

Kuhan
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Kuhan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:02 am

Alright, thank you.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by CGG » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:22 am

Kuhan wrote:Like many people on this board, I decided to play through the entire QFG series from start to finish shortly before QFG2 came out. However, I decided that I would try and avoid cheating on my quest for glory. Because of that, I avoided using the Magic Mushroom glitch in QFG1, and I avoided maxing out my stats during character creation.

However, I was reading these boards and found out about the tricks to raise communication by repeatedly talking to the Griffon, and raise Honor by repeatedly greeting Rakeesh. I'm not sure whether I should consider these cheats or not, in my book, and avoid them. Certainly using those is no worse than say, spamming rock throwing, climbing trees, or picking nose, right? Any opinions?

Something that would further help put those into perspective: does the AGD team plan on removing those tricks in the future? What is their stance on those two tricks?
Plus, if you mind your P's and Q's to everybody (not just Aziza) and help all those in need when asked, throughout the entire game, you should be fairly close to maxing honor and communication anyway.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:43 am

Communication and honor were scripted to flow towards the max naturally and without too much repetition if you acted like a nice and thoughtful human being throughout the game. Whenever I spoke to someone, I greeted them first and said goodbye afterwards. I gave Shema flowers regularly, but not obsessively. I gave a few coins to Shihhad whenever I passed him, but didn't overdo it. More importantly, if someone helped me in some way, I always thanked them. Over time, especially the stuff like saying hello and goodbye will have a cumulative effect and increase your communication without having to compulsively greet someone like a broken record.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#6 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:32 am

Erpy wrote:Both the Griffin and Rakeesh thing were glitches and will be fixed in future builds. They gave way too much experience for a repeatable action.

Dunno about the griffin one, I mean it still takes a good 30-40 minutes of nonstop talking. That's not unrealistic considering the time spent grinding other stats.

If you do change it, at least give an option where the mouse cursor doesn't change when you get a new item :p It's really annoying buying a ton of flowers when you need to cycle cursors every time.

Personally I'd prefer it like the other QFG games, where it changes your currently active item but does not affect your cursor (e.g. in any other QFG, if you have the hand active, and pick up rocks, you still have the hand active albeit rocks are now your selected item).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Goilveig wrote:Dunno about the griffin one, I mean it still takes a good 30-40 minutes of nonstop talking. That's not unrealistic considering the time spent grinding other stats.
It's quicker than that; I checked. I weighted the Enter Key and let the game sit for 10 minutes. I had 200 Communication when it was done. I tried again for just 5 minutes and had about 160.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#8 Post by Schloss Ritter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Brainiac wrote:
Goilveig wrote:Dunno about the griffin one, I mean it still takes a good 30-40 minutes of nonstop talking. That's not unrealistic considering the time spent grinding other stats.
It's quicker than that; I checked. I weighted the Enter Key and let the game sit for 10 minutes. I had 200 Communication when it was done. I tried again for just 5 minutes and had about 160.
Yep, turning the game speed up speeds up the Griffon's wake animation, making this a lot faster.

Goilveig wrote:Personally I'd prefer it like the other QFG games, where it changes your currently active item but does not affect your cursor (e.g. in any other QFG, if you have the hand active, and pick up rocks, you still have the hand active albeit rocks are now your selected item).
I was going to bring this up too but forgot. Yeah, it seemed a bit overly tedious to have to right click 3 times (or move up to the icon bar and click) every time I wanted to pick up another bunch of rocks. Considering my fighter can carry 10 bunches or so without encumbrance, that's a lot of extra clicks.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#9 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Schloss Ritter wrote: Yep, turning the game speed up speeds up the Griffon's wake animation, making this a lot faster.
It's not really all that fast for me, even on max speed. But the speed slider seems to do very little on my PC (unless I set it to the very bottom, which is extremely slow). But there's no significant difference between, say, 40% speed and 100% speed on my PC. Which is fine, as that speed is about right.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#10 Post by Solarkid » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:14 pm

Yeah i would really love it if it didn't change the cursor too.

Dave

Ajanhuiri
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Ajanhuiri » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Honestly, this was a flawed way to improve communication/honor in the first place.