Telltale Games take on Back to the Future and Jurassic Park

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lambonius
Knight Status

Re: Telltale Games take on Back to the Future and Jurassic Park

#26 Post by Lambonius » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:The Back to the Future game is now available for pre-order for $24.95 from TellTale:

http://www.telltalegames.com/bttf

I've pre-ordered mine. It's a pity they weren't able to get Michael J. Fox to perform the voice of Marty. That would have really added a lot of authenticity to a game that has been a long time coming and would have added the icing on the cake for the die-hard BTTF fans. I'm sure the sound-a-like actor they've got will do a very good job... but it's not really the same. Considering Fox still does the occasional episode of Scrubs, and that this year also marks BTTF's 25th anniversary, I'd really hoped they would have been able to pull out all the stops and make it happen. Bummer.
NICE! Gahh....why haven't they posted vids or screens yet?! The anticipation is killing me!

As for Michael J. Fox voicing Marty--sadly, I think you underestimate how severe his condition really is. It's got to be MUCH worse than he makes it out to be in his increasingly rare public appearances. And unfortunately, it's not just affecting his movements anymore. To hear him answer questions in the above interview, you can hear him straining to pronounce words correctly and keep his responses vocally together. He'd probably never be able to handle a full game's worth of voice overs. He just doesn't have the control anymore. It's so tragic. :( I definitely wish it could be different--I'm sure the folks at Telltale would have loved to have him reprise the role, had he been capable.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#27 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:53 pm

I'd suspected that this was likely the case, but according to IMDB, he's been working as recently as 2009 in a television role, which is usually a lot more strenuous than voice-over work. But yeah, he doesn't sound like he has the same level of control over his vocals that he had before his condition advanced.

Though, judging from the way TellTale talked about it in one of their production videos, the reason they couldn't get Fox was due to him not being available. Well, at least, I interpreted the comment as being more to do with timing than his condition. If that's really the case, meaning he otherwise would (and physically could) have done it then it's a shame. I bet a lot of fans would have been willing to wait a bit longer for the game if it meant that he was going to reprise Marty. But I guess Telltale also have their deadlines to meet.

Incidentally, it looks like $1 from every game pre-ordered will go to Michael J Fox's Parkison's research foundation. Just another good reason to buy this game. :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#28 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Heh, did you watch the behind the scenes video Telltale put up? The actor they got to play Marty is SPOT FREAKING ON.

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-695

Lambonius
Knight Status

#29 Post by Lambonius » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:00 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Heh, did you watch the behind the scenes video Telltale put up? The actor they got to play Marty is SPOT FREAKING ON.

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-695
WOW. I had not heard that yet! He sounds REALLY good. Like, dead on. I'll be interested to hear him doing Marty in more casual dialog rather than the excited dramatic stuff (which he nails), but so far they seem to have found an amazing substitute for the real thing.

MusicallyInspired

#30 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:18 am

Some of the other videos on the BTTF section of the TTG website shows some calm-Marty dialogue. It's more noticeable than the yelling stuff, but not by much. He seems like a perfect choice.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#31 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:35 am

Yeah, the kid they got to play Marty is awesome. At least they have the facial likeness rights from Michael J. Fox. I'm psyched for this game.

Bt

Lambonius
Knight Status

#32 Post by Lambonius » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:Yeah, the kid they got to play Marty is awesome. At least they have the facial likeness rights from Michael J. Fox. I'm psyched for this game.

Bt
Hell yeah. BTTF is one of those classic series that always deserved a great video game adaptation. And a story-driven adventure game is pretty much the perfect format. It's my nerd wet dream. I have several other series that I'd love to see adapted into this format as well.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#33 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:36 pm

I've preordered my copy. I'm really excited to play this!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Telltale Games take on Back to the Future and Jurhassic Park

#34 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:58 pm

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#35 Post by pbpb33 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Is Jurassic Park also going to be an adventure game?

MusicallyInspired

#36 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Dave Grossman has said that it'll be a little bit different from what fans have come to expect from them so far and that he couldn't say anymore. This was back when the Angry Video Game Nerd interviewed him. A recent interview with Dan Connors about BTTF and the Universal Licenses also said something about Telltale integrating a new system that's favourable for scary and/or creepy atmospheres and went to Universal about getting Jurassic Park. They agreed and also offered them BTTF which they took without question. Something like that.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#37 Post by pbpb33 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:04 pm

BTTF looks amazing! I am so impressed. It seems like they're really taking the time to do things right. Just hearing that theme again makes me so happy... it has got to be one of the best movie themes ever. It has special meaning to me because that's the music that was played over and over at the waterpark where I worked over the summer in high school. It's such happy, exciting, adventurous music!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#38 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Telltale released the first Back to the Future in-game video footage on Gametrailers.com, and it's looking great! Very reminiscent of the movies. And although bringing back a Delorean after the original one was smashed to pieces at the end of the 3rd film kind of screws up the trilogy's bittersweet ending, I guess I can suspend my disbelief on this occasion. :P Not long left to wait for the game now!

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gam ... 110?ep=110

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#39 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

I'm sure it's the same delorean from a different time, or atleast there's SOME explanation that fits into the continuity of the series.

MusicallyInspired

#40 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:30 pm

Well they had to make the games from the point of view of how people would enjoy it. Nobody (or not many) wants to play a BTTF game without Marty and without the DeLorean. It will be interesting to see how they'll incorporate it in. I love how Telltale starts their stories with mystery and you figure out the reasons for things afterwards. TTG never disappoints. The trailer looks great!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#41 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:19 am

I've always wondered why they didn't just take gas from the Delorean that Doc hid in the mine rather than pushing it with the train. They could just replace the gas in 1955.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#42 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:24 am

It wasn't out of gas it was a broken gas line if I recall correctly.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#43 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:00 am

The official explanation is that Doc drained the fuel before storing the Delorean in the cave. Fuel is corrosive if left sitting for a long time, so when cars are placed in storage (in this case, for 70 years) the fuel is drained so as not to cause accelerated deterioration. After all, Doc in 1885 would want to maximize the chances of the Delorean still being in working condition when Marty eventually finds it in 1955.

Interestingly enough, judging by the preview it looks as if the Delorean in the game could be a new one. It seems that a driverless time machine is sent to collect Marty and is covered in ice. The only occasion we saw an ice-covered Delorean in the films was the first time Doc sent the car into the future at the Twin Pines mall. But even when Marty escapes from the Libyans just a few minutes later and accidentally winds up in 1955, the car has no ice covering it.
Well they had to make the games from the point of view of how people would enjoy it. Nobody (or not many) wants to play a BTTF game without Marty and without the DeLorean. It will be interesting to see how they'll incorporate it in.
That's true. I just hope it doesn't end up feeling overly formulaic. There were a few areas in Tales of Monkey of Monkey Island where I thought TellTale went a little overboard with the fan-service (Murray, for example), so I hope they'll keep this game balanced and not over-saturate it with recycled film gags. I also hope they'll change up Marty's 80's attire every so often, so that sometimes he wears the burgundy-coloured T-shirt. He didn't wear the "life preserver" much after the early scenes in BTTF2.

Also, in this game, it seems like Doc's requesting Marty's help, but in the films he was always cautioning Marty on the perils of time travel and wanted the time machine dismantled. They'll need to offer a plausible, unselfish reason for Doc Brown's hypocrisy if this is the case. ;)

MusicallyInspired

#44 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:19 am

Of course they will, but remember that Bob Gale himself was on the writing team and had heavy influence on the story.

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#45 Post by goatmeal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Interestingly enough, judging by the preview it looks as if the Delorean in the game could be a new one. It seems that a driverless time machine is sent to collect Marty and is covered in ice. The only occasion we saw an ice-covered Delorean in the films was the first time Doc sent the car into the future at the Twin Pines mall. But even when Marty escapes from the Libyans just a few minutes later and accidentally winds up in 1955, the car has no ice covering it.
Note that -- at least for the trailer -- the car does have a "Mr. Fusion"™ reactor, but also has the same (or at least similar) 1985 "OUTATIME" license plate and not the 2015 barcode plate...

Could it be the same car, just between the addition of the "Mr. Fusion"™ and the Hoverconversion? The need to get away from plutonium would make sense (as shown by the events ocurring in BTTF), but there's no immediate hurry to have a Hoverconversion performed on the car. No Hoverconversion means there's no need to get the DeLorean licensed to fly the skyways of Hill Valley, and thus no 2015 barcode license plate.

Did Doc have some adventures before coming back to get Marty (and Jennifer) at the end of BTTF/beginning of BTTF2? And he didn't tell Marty about them because "no one should know too much about their own future" ?...

MusicallyInspired

#46 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:52 pm

The car has always been flash frozen upon re-entry. it just melts really fast. Official documentation. It wasn't just the BTTF1 car that did it. They just never made a big deal about it after. It always did it, though.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#47 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Note that -- at least for the trailer -- the car does have a "Mr. Fusion"™ reactor, but also has the same (or at least similar) 1985 "OUTATIME" license plate and not the 2015 barcode plate...
That's interesting, because the OUTATIME license plate never actually made any trips through the 4th dimension. It falls to the ground and spins the first time Doc sends the car 1 minute into the future during his Twin Pines Mall experiment. And the first time the barcode license plate is seen on the delorean (along with Mr Fusion) is during the end scene of BTTF1, after Doc returns from 2015 to collect Marty and Jennifer. That barcode license plate remains on the time machine until it gets destroyed by the train at the end of BTTF3.
Could it be the same car, just between the addition of the "Mr. Fusion"™ and the Hoverconversion? The need to get away from plutonium would make sense (as shown by the events ocurring in BTTF), but there's no immediate hurry to have a Hoverconversion performed on the car. No Hoverconversion means there's no need to get the DeLorean licensed to fly the skyways of Hill Valley, and thus no 2015 barcode license plate.
It's also interesting to note that in the above video, when we see a glimpse of the time circuits, the yellow one (which displays the date the car last visited) is set to XXX 00 0000 00:00 for Month, Day, Year, and Time, respectively. This might indicate that these are the Delorean's 'factory' settings and that this is the same car from before Doc's first experiment at the Twin Pines/Lone Pine Mall.

There seem to be many contradictions which makes me think TellTale could even be adding red herring modifications to the Delorean for the trailer video clip so that nobody can guess the car's origin in advance. ;) On the other hand, Doc Brown, having already had the opportunity to analyze the workings of a 2015 Mr Fusion unit, could probably create his own version in 1986 to get away from nuclear reliance... or simpler still, he could have just traveled back to 2015 in his Time Train and picked up another one.

However, the problem with adding a Mr Fusion unit to the Delorean before it travels to 1955 is that when Marty arrived in 1955, he would no longer be stuck in his predicament requiring the bolt of lightning to replace plutonium. He could just toss a few food scraps into the Mr Fusion and get back to 1985 instantly. That would cause a paradox because Marty's week-long presence in 1955 was the catalyst for other time travel events and mishaps. One example, if Marty isn't in 1955 to play at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, he won't hit the 2nd Marty in the face with the door as he exits, which is what gives Biff the opportunity to steal the Sports Almanac back. Under these circumstances, Biff wouldn't try to kill Marty with his Ford in the tunnel. This means Doc wouldn't be airborne in the Delorean at the moment when the lightning strike sends him back to 1885. We could say that, for the sake of not wanting to paradoxically interfere with the events that occurred in the films, Marty consciously uses the lightning bolt to get back to 1985, despite having Mr. Fusion attached to the Time Machine the entire time. Man, I'd really love to see a version of BTTF1 after this game takes place, just to laugh at their sense of urgency and panic of coinciding with the lightning bolt, even though the Mr Fusion is attached to the Delorean in every 1955 scene. :rollin (Doc's probably mindful of this, though, and would likely remove the 'premature' Mr. Fusion before Marty travels back to 1955).

BTW, it really sucks that they didn't get Thomas F. Wilson to voice Biff in the game. What a shame! He does a fair amount of voice-over work these days. It would have been great if they could have gotten more of the original cast members to reprise their roles. Unfortunately, it's probably SAG's ridiculous and totalitarian union rules making it too expensive and unfeasible.

MusicallyInspired

#48 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:24 am

Actually, Telltale have said that they reached out to "Tom's people". But Tom himself says they never asked him. Strange.

Also, I just preordered the game today! Psyched!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#49 Post by DrJones » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:55 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Actually, Telltale have said that they reached out to "Tom's people". But Tom himself says they never asked him. Strange.

Also, I just preordered the game today! Psyched!
This sounds like a time paradox to me. :lol

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#50 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Found some of those photos we took in 2005 of the Back to the Future filming locations and uploaded them to the Himalaya page. Wish we got around to visiting a few more places, such as the high school and the Twin Pines Mall (not to mention the Universal Studios backlot before the BTTF set got burnt in that gas explosion), but the places we did get to visit were still great!

Click here for Photos!