A brief account of KQ3 Redux' history

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: A brief account of KQ3 Redux' history

#101 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Hopefully we'll be able to make true on our aim somewhere this month.

yanks28th
Peasant Status

#102 Post by yanks28th » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Great, I can't wait to see the game.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#103 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 am

It'll be out this month, if you double-took the entire website. ;)

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#104 Post by edenwaith » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 am

Erpy wrote:Hopefully we'll be able to make true on our aim somewhere this month.
So...about the 30th of February then? :)

Or just say it will be out in "February", just don't specify which year.

The Jack of Hearts
Peasant Status

#105 Post by The Jack of Hearts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:14 am

I gotta say, I'm getting real excited for KQ3. I can't believe I hadn't heard about you guys remakes until recently, cause I'm such a huge fan of old school adventure games, and King's Quest in particular. I never was able to really get into the older games though. I think I got like a third of the way through KQ1 before I stopped playing it. I understand how limiting it is working on these games, and I love you guys for it, but it still breaks my heart that you guys can't do KQ4. Magic Mirror games is apparently working on one, and right now they're working on a demo.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#106 Post by DrJones » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 pm

There's a wonderful artist at the AGS forums that shows from time to time scenes from King's Quest 4. Maybe one of these years these screens might become a full game.

BeerNutts
Peasant Status

#107 Post by BeerNutts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 pm

(/me climbs out from under a rock)

I'm so glad you guys are remaking this game. The KQ line will always have a special place in my heart as KQ1, 2, and 3 were the 1st sierra games I played, and made me fall in love with them.

While QFG was a good line, it won't touch what KQ generates for me. I'll be downloading it ASAP.

Later,
Beernutts

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#108 Post by Gronagor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:36 pm

edenwaith wrote: So...about the 30th of February then? :)
So... you're saying you suspect it will never be released?

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

#109 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:33 pm

I'll take a guess maybe it will be out on February 14th.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#110 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:50 pm

You realize that Cupid was in King's Quest IV and not King's Quest III, right? ;)

Aristocles
Royal Servant Status

#111 Post by Aristocles » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:06 pm

It will be out when it is out. We should be happy that February is a shorter month, and that we have to pay $0.00 for it.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#112 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Aristocles wrote:It will be out when it is out. We should be happy that February is a shorter month, and that we have to pay $0.00 for it.
SCREW THAT! WHY ISN'T OUT RIGHT NOW?!?! GAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

;) Just kidding.

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#113 Post by edenwaith » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:14 am

Aristocles wrote:It will be out when it is out. We should be happy that February is a shorter month, and that we have to pay $0.00 for it.
Very much so. In preparation, I've played through AGD's versions of KQ1 and KQ2. Considering the great quality of all of the other AGD works so far, I imagine this will be equally spendid.

Aristocles
Royal Servant Status

#114 Post by Aristocles » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 pm

In the meantime, IA still has its own version. If you haven't played it, you probably should. It is quite well-made. Also $0.00.

The Jack of Hearts
Peasant Status

#115 Post by The Jack of Hearts » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Aristocles wrote:In the meantime, IA still has its own version. If you haven't played it, you probably should. It is quite well-made. Also $0.00.
I'm definitely going to wait for the AGDI version, don't want to spoil anything. I may just have to play through the King's Quest games I do have in the mean time. Or work my way through some QfG. It's not the same as King's Quest, but it's still fun.
Last edited by The Jack of Hearts on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#116 Post by edenwaith » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Aristocles wrote:In the meantime, IA still has its own version. If you haven't played it, you probably should. It is quite well-made. Also $0.00.
Just played through IA's KQ3 last night. Spell casting is certainly tons, tons easier. Pretty much a faithful remake without too many (unexpected) surprises.

It will be interesting to see AGD's spin on this game.

chrisinboston
Peasant Status

#117 Post by chrisinboston » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 am

Hey Folks! @ChrisInBoston here from Media Junkyard!

We're a Media Podcast that covers everything from TV to Movies to Video Games! We're recording tonight LIVE at 10PM ET at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/media-junkyard and will be REVIEWING KQ3 REDUX TONIGHT during our Casual Tech Segment! Please join us for the show! If you can't make it live, please subscribe to us via iTunes or you can stream directly from our website (http://www.mediajunkyard.com) when our show is edited, polished, and published on Wednesday!

THANKS AGAIN to AGDInteractive for bringing us into the fold and giving us the opportunity to review this game for you! I think you'll be excited to hear about this classic!!!!!!

Now, back to evading that bastard Manannan!

@ChrisInBoston

PS. Our show does have an EXPLICIT Tag associated with our content, but it's all in good fun. If you're up for it, we'd love to have you join us!

Lambonius
Knight Status

#118 Post by Lambonius » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:48 am

chrisinboston wrote:Hey Folks! @ChrisInBoston here from Media Junkyard!

We're a Media Podcast that covers everything from TV to Movies to Video Games! We're recording tonight LIVE at 10PM ET at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/media-junkyard and will be REVIEWING KQ3 REDUX TONIGHT during our Casual Tech Segment! Please join us for the show! If you can't make it live, please subscribe to us via iTunes or you can stream directly from our website (http://www.mediajunkyard.com) when our show is edited, polished, and published on Wednesday!

THANKS AGAIN to AGDInteractive for bringing us into the fold and giving us the opportunity to review this game for you! I think you'll be excited to hear about this classic!!!!!!

Now, back to evading that bastard Manannan!

@ChrisInBoston

PS. Our show does have an EXPLICIT Tag associated with our content, but it's all in good fun. If you're up for it, we'd love to have you join us!
Oh boy...this bodes well for the imminent release of the game. The inner fanboy in me just felt his pants tighten.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#119 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:53 am

Aw did I miss it? Crap. Anyone make it?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#120 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:43 am

I made it. It was a good shout out. Chris seemed very excited to have his hands on the game!

Darkpen
Peasant Status

#121 Post by Darkpen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:59 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Reprogramming an entire game from scratch just to fix a flaw or two is a huge and relatively fruitless undertaking for the ones developing it. It's not worth it. It's also a LOT more copyright infringing than a remake with an actual graphical, musical, interface overhaul.
Actually, not really, since the rights holder for the art is [more than likely] the same as the game's.

Anyway, I didn't re-register after such a long time only to disagree with you, I really wanted to cheer on the release. :rollin

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#122 Post by edenwaith » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:02 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Aw did I miss it? Crap. Anyone make it?
It pretty much amounted to several guys rambling on for an hour and then gushing very enthusiastically about KQ3: Redux for a couple of minutes. Very positive response, but no real tidbits for the fans waiting for the game.

Aristocles
Royal Servant Status

#123 Post by Aristocles » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:47 am

I guess there are still a few bugs to squish? It seems like the game is in a mostly playable state...

... although I totally missed the review, somehow.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#124 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:49 am

There wasn't really a review. Just a couple of general comments. We're trying to keep a bit of a lid on the info about the project until we get it released.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#125 Post by Gronagor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:32 am

Darkpen wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:Reprogramming an entire game from scratch just to fix a flaw or two is a huge and relatively fruitless undertaking for the ones developing it. It's not worth it. It's also a LOT more copyright infringing than a remake with an actual graphical, musical, interface overhaul.
Actually, not really, since the rights holder for the art is [more than likely] the same as the game's.
No, he is right. The license holder will look less favorable (and you really have NOTHING to stand on when it does go to court) on your project if you use everything AS IS. In fact, you'll most probably be sued rather than just receiving a C&D letter.

For example, if someone used Mickey Mouse from Disney in their own cartoons, but with a different look, they have a 50/50 chance of actually getting away with it. But directly copying the look, name and manner the character is used, you're screwed.