You have chosen....*spoilers*

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

rknight718
Peasant Status

You have chosen....*spoilers*

#1 Post by rknight718 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Made it to the end of the pirate's little treasure hunt and now I need to "choose wisely". If anyone has figured this out please PM me with a hint or tip.

Thanks! :rollin

daventry
Knight Status

Re: You have chosen....*spoilers*

#2 Post by daventry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Yes Please :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 pm

If you were alone on a deserted island, which item would you need most? And which item then? Use that logic.

daventry
Knight Status

#4 Post by daventry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Figured it out :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:15 am

rknight718 wrote:Made it to the end of the pirate's little treasure hunt and now I need to "choose wisely".
You can expect the same action being needed in the upcoming Telltale King's Quest game. You'll want to choose the cup of a carpenter.

<snicker>

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Chyron_8472 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:29 am

If by that you mean that Telltale is going to maek King's Quest all LucasArts-y, I hear you.

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#7 Post by oberonqa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:07 am

I can use a little help on this one as well. I tried applying Erpy's "stuck on an island" analogy (food, planks, book), but didn't get anywhere. Then I tried it in reverse (book, planks, food)... same result. Then I tried planks, food, and jewel... nothing. Then I tried jewel, planks, food.... nothing.

A little help.... please?

hanakogames
Peasant Status

#8 Post by hanakogames » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:20 am

Honestly, I can't remember the correct order and I didn't grok the game logic behind it at the time, but I was certain that jewels would not be one of the three correct choices, which meant there were only three things to pick from, so from there I simply tried things methodically. If A, B, C didn't work, then A, C, B. If that still didn't work, then obviously A isn't in the first slot, so B, A, C, then B, C, A...

If you keep trying totally different groupings you'll confuse yourself about what you have and haven't tried, so you'll miss the obvious and probably repeat yourself by accident.

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#9 Post by oberonqa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:23 am

Thank you.... that was exactly the nudge I needed to get it. :)

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:39 pm

I think I got it wrong here. Or the logic eludes me. Finally tried many combination and still didn't work.

If you're a pirate, you wouldn't have a book on deserted island right?

And the worst of all, I replaced the last save game and thus cannot review what Seran had said earlier. :(

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:43 pm

If you were literally fighting for survival out in the wilderness, which item would you need first for survival? Which item would you need second? And so on...

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:06 pm

I finally got through it, though still relies on trial and error. And finished the game with only 204.

My concern here: if I'm dealing with pirate ghost, why do I think like an explorer lost in the wilderness since the solution geared toward there? Shouldn't I think like a pirate stranded on deserted island like @Erpy said?
Treasure, though questionable in importance, are making more senses than having a book, don't you think?

Maybe you guys should think through about implementing the solution for this.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Looking at each object gives a hint about what it represents.

Jewel = Wealth
Food = Energy and Sustenance
Tools = Ability to construct shelter
Book = Knowledge

I think that the puzzle requires some thought, but challenging stuff is fair game in an adventure. ;)

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Not really if this doesn't mirror the real experiences. :lol
I do look on each object. But if you're dealing with survival, you'll be lucky if you can find any documentation on deserted place, which is almost impossible. Knowledge could also related to hints, although survival mostly relies on stuff you already learned in the past.

And although treasure were not related, this usually stumbles upon lucky strangers who finds it or left with it. Though most cases it will end up as lost treasures. Many pirate stories I heard regarding stranded on deserted island usually has this similar typecast. Even if survived, either "he" brings the treasures with him, or conceals it with marks so that one that it can be retrieved (these are especially true if he's not gonna make it).

Still, this is the only thing I'm concerned from the whole game though.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:45 pm

The idea is that Seran WAS a pirate and since he was doomed to spend eternity in that glade as a spirit until someone came to claim the treasure that kind of knocked some sense of reality into him about what was more important in life. Hence the puzzle. It's not that difficult. First time I played it I got it the first try (and no I didn't know the solution beforehand :p). Wealth is the least important thing in life, with the pursuit of all knowledge being next in line (humanity is constantly working to better itself and learn more about the universe), but more important than that is shelter from the harsh environments, and finally most importantly to be able to do all these things first and foremost you need sustenance; food.

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#16 Post by oberonqa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 pm

I just ended up doing the A, B, C thing, since the jewel (wealth) isn't a part of the solution (which, along with the A, B, C idea was the only hints I needed to solve the puzzle).

Food = A
Planks = B
Book = C

It took me 3 tries once I assigned a letter to each item. Like the hint I was given stated, it was just a matter of changing the position of the letters.

However, that being said, it is a rather... insidious puzzle. Definitely hearkens back to the glory days of Sierra where puzzle design was more "guess the designers intent" than logical. Which is fine (adds to the nostalgia factor)... but I imagine there's going to be a lot of people who get stumped by this one, as adventure games haven't had puzzle design like this in a very long time.

MusicallyInspired

#17 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:27 pm

Seriously.....do you not think those things are the most important in life? lol You must have pretty screwed up priorities if you can't guess this puzzle on the first try. :p

j/k I kid I kid.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#18 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:48 am

I find it really strange that people are getting so stumped on this puzzle! It was one of the ones I thought was so blatantly easy (pick the item) that it didn't even really qualify as a real puzzle and needed to have something else added to it to make it harder. Guess I was wrong about that. >D

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#19 Post by oberonqa » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:20 am

You see, my thought process was you needed shelter from the elements before you could find food. In order to build a shelter, you would need the appropriate knowledge. So my initial thought was book, planks, food. After all, what good is having food if you are unable to protect yourself from the elements and keep warm at night?

It may seem like a matter of common sense, but in a puzzle like this, common sense does not enter into the equation. The puzzle's difficulty stems from a matter of applying different priorities to three very needful things. In my particular case, it wasn't that I thought food was the least important of the three, it boiled down to my prioritizing.

As for the jewel... considering your there specifically for treasure, the jewel would make sense as a choice. Seran's dialogue is a little on the vague side when it comes to what exactly you are prioritizing.

MusicallyInspired

#20 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:33 am

The book isn't just called a "book of knowledge" it's specifically called the "book of all knowledge." It's a little more broader of a term than just generic knowledge. And regarding the jewels, that's exactly the point. You're there to get the treasure but that doesn't factor into the riddle of what is most important in life. That kind of irony is exactly the point of the puzzle. Only someone who understands that right priorities in life can get the treasure. Like in a movie. The bad guy makes the wrong choice based on his greed and the good guy who understands what is most important passes the test and gets the happy ending and everything he could ever want. It's a puzzle in morality in that sense.

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#21 Post by oberonqa » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:36 am

Ah but to Gwydion/Alexander.... not getting the treasure = death. Ergo, the player who is controlling Gwydion/Alexander might feel the jewel is kind of an important element to continue living life.

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:41 am

Yes, but they'd be wrong. :) Again, that's the point. It's not always the most obvious choice that's the correct answer. In fact, that can get you into trouble. The point of acquiring the treasure is that the only person worthy to obtain it would never really want it. Gwydion, who's been a slave all his life, understands the importance (or rather unimportance) of wealth when compared to anything else (and he even says so to Seran). It's a pretty common mindset that wealth is the most unimportant thing in the world, unless you're just plain selfish and greedy. The puzzle is not to be taken in context of the moment and the goal, but rather as the big picture and the grand scheme of things. And that's the beauty about the puzzle. It imposes conflict in that sense. But it doesn't change what is most important in life, and since the point of the puzzle is to reinforce this idea to reward the player, taking the higher road (even if it means death) is always better.

It still seems pretty obvious to me that even if that treasure in the selection was the one you were wanting to obtain for the pirates (it isn't) it's a no-brainer that seeing as there is a puzzle to obtain it (and a series of other magical barriers to overcome that protect it) the best way to do that would not be to outright grab it.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#23 Post by oberonqa » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:44 am

Unfortunately, the fact that you have to explain the puzzle so much shows it's a puzzle that is not based on logic and is instead based on "what the designer intended".

Don't get me wrong though... it's a great throwback to the Sierra days... but it's definitely going to cause some frustration amongst the playerbase (at least, until a FAQ is released... in which case you won't hear anything else about it).

MusicallyInspired

#24 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:45 am

I don't agree that this is a "what the designer intended" moment. This is pretty common knowledge and is used often in fiction. A lot. I'm surprised I DO have to explain it because it's so obvious! :p

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#25 Post by oberonqa » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:47 am

Well.... given the amount of trouble people are having, maybe it's not so obvious, eh? :p