new green & tan forum theme

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lambonius
Knight Status

new green & tan forum theme

#1 Post by Lambonius » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:46 am

Yikes.

Not a fan. Sorry guys. It's really visually jarring and hard to read.

I could probably get used to the white text on green ground, but you definitely need to come up with another color for the team member names. Red on green is complement city, and makes the retinas literally ache. Seriously, this is color and design 101.

I do love the classic, Sierra-esque AGDI logo, though.

Sorry to sound so negative, just offering my honest feedback. Love all you do!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: new green & tan forum theme

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:52 am

It's a retro throw back to the original forums. You have the option of switching back. Just go to your User Control Panel and click Board Preferences. Set the style from AGDI Classic to subsilver2.

I'll change the default back to subsilver2 soon. This is just kind of a special occasion.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#3 Post by Lambonius » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 am

navynuke04 wrote:It's a retro throw back to the original forums. You have the option of switching back. Just go to your User Control Panel and click Board Preferences. Set the style from AGDI Classic to subsilver2.

I'll change the default back to subsilver2 soon. This is just kind of a special occasion.
Heh, I figured as much. :) That would explain why MI and some of the other old-timers were going on about it. ;)

The main problem, from a design standpoint, is that the dark green background is SUPER bright and immediately grabs the eye, which makes the white text have to fight for visual dominance. The whole exercise makes it really hard to focus on specific lines, especially when scrolling through the topics (which highlight to a different shade, making things even MORE visually complicated than they already are.) And then there's the bright red team member names, which are the exact compliment to the shade of green on the background. This contrast creates retinal vibrations that can actually make your eyes literally ache after a while. Also, light color text, like the blue font of some user names, is barely visible on the tan backdrop, forcing one to have to highlight the text if he wants to read the name.

I was just shocked by it at first, that's all. My eyes are getting used to it gradually. ;)

**I think I'm going to keep it, for the occasion. Now...when is that download going to be available?? ;)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:03 am

Here's how it used to look on ezboard, back in the day: ;)

http://web.archive.org/web/200304250456 ... forumsfrm9

http://web.archive.org/web/200305100417 ... =249.topic

It is unfortunate that Phpbb3 doesn't allow you to tweak things like the forum Adminstrator colours or the colours of search engine bots. As far as we can tell, those things have to remain the same colours regardless of which forum style is selected.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:11 am

I love it! I guess the dark green could be softened a bit, but other than that the only issue I seem to have is the excessive amount of space between the users' avatars and their posts. It's definitely a lot more than what's on the original subsilver2 theme. And I have a 27" 1080p widescreen monitor!

Yendor
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Yendor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:16 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:I love it! I guess the dark green could be softened a bit, but other than that the only issue I seem to have is the excessive amount of space between the users' avatars and their posts.
The other problem is that the text pushes right up against the dividing line.

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:24 am

Yes, that's true.

Also, the Sierra-style AGDI logo was the old Tierra logo!

Lambonius
Knight Status

#8 Post by Lambonius » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:49 am

Oh god. I just couldn't look at it anymore. Too painful. I had to switch. Ahhh...my eyes. So much better. Hahaha.

Eriq, how could you let that one pass you by??

The Knight
King of Men

#9 Post by The Knight » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 am

I've never really been a fan of green, yet I always did enjoy this color scheme on the old boards. Nostalgia is always fun to experience. To think it's been so long since King's Quest II:RTS dropped and what it was like to await its release. And, barring a change from Activision, this seems to be the closing chapter to AGDI (Still Tierra to some of us), so it's ever fitting to throwback to the beginning to bring it full circle in a way. Minus the few technical issues already pointed out, it is nice to see this theme again, even if it marks the official end of an era. The games, and all the hard work put into them, will live on. Hopefully, so will the community, albeit noticeably smaller less active from a glance (at least the post wars kept things lively. :P ), but still many familiar faces grace the forums.

- The Knight

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:22 am

Knight! Good to see you! I specifically remember you being vocal about supporting Navynuke's initial KQ3 remake. :)

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#11 Post by Kurdt » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 pm

I logged on to say something about KQ3 being released and literally went, "WOA." I had to walk outside and make sure I didn't fall into a time warp and find myself in 2003, :lol . Knight is right, though. It's good to see this old theme again. It's still hard to believe that it was so long ago. To think of who I was when this was on my computer screen daily...man.

KatieHal
Peasant Status

#12 Post by KatieHal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Oh man! I remember the brown & green days of yesteryear! haha, fun :)

Jarring on the eyes, yes, but fun!

MusicallyInspired

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 pm

My eyes are used to it again. It's like it never left!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#14 Post by DrJones » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:50 pm

I don't like that my own posts appear on black, it's far less readable than white, and I'm one of these compulsive people that edits their own posts whenever they find a typo. I always read them at least twice.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#15 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:12 pm

That is a bug that I couldn't find. It doesn't happen every time, and will change back to white if you leave it alone.

MusicallyInspired

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:36 pm

If you refresh it changes to white. It has something to do with it being the post you just made. There are some issues with the them that are unfortunate, but I really love it! I'm used to it.

About the width issue and the extra space around the avatar/user info, is it possible to wrap the forum in an invisible table that's 1000 pixels wide or so? That might fix the issue.

Yendor
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Yendor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 am

If you click on the title of a post, or use the "latest post" link, the same thing happens. So it's something to do with focusing on a specific post.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#18 Post by DrJones » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Announcement topics don't seem to get marked correctly as read unles I mark all posts in a forum read, or I write a new post.

MusicallyInspired

#19 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Seems to be random. Sometimes they're marked read and sometimes they're not. The theme has problems to be sure. But nothing too harsh. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love it! Doesn't even hurt my eyes anymore!

El Ravager
Knight Status

#20 Post by El Ravager » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:35 pm

I absolutely love this theme! It looks almost exactly how it looked back when I first joined in January 2002 (man, that makes me feel old). Nostalgia FTW!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#21 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:55 pm

I've changed the default theme back to what it was. If you prefer the AGDI Classic theme, feel free to select it in your User Control Panel.

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:32 pm

navynuke04 wrote:I've changed the default theme back to what it was. If you prefer the AGDI Classic theme, feel free to select it in your User Control Panel.
Done.