QFG1VGA bug - disoriented cursor & can't target brig. leader

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

spacecadet
Peasant Status

QFG1VGA bug - disoriented cursor & can't target brig. leader

#1 Post by spacecadet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi all, I'm replaying QFG1VGA, on DosBox, and I'm stumped by a bug in the brigand leader's office.

I think it may have to do with a known issue I encountered earlier in the game: upon picking up some loot, I got a "carrying more than you can" message that overlapped with the loot message, and from that moment on, I've lost the ability to walk straight using the mouse, especially when exiting screens. Clicking with the cursor became disoriented, not just in walking I suppose, but that's where it was most felt. I remember that this is a known issue because it also caused my stats screen some "disorientation" - the stats columns have all shifted to right, with the rightmost one now appearing at the left of the screen, making many stats harder to locate. I remember this bug being associated with the color palette ookiness, but for some reason that particular bug almost never occurs this time.

So anyway, now I've made it to the brigand leader's office, and I can't seem to manage to target her with the dispel potion. I keep getting the message that I dropped the potion, as if I'm clicking it around far away from the leader (a rather weird decision by the gamemakers, to even allow you to do that at that stage). I've tried clicking around a bit, on the assumption that something has "shifted" the screen and with it the hotspot, but I'm not hitting the mark anywhere reasonably near the leader. Could anyone help? Thanks!

Lambonius
Knight Status

Re: QFG1VGA bug - disoriented cursor & can't target brig. le

#2 Post by Lambonius » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm

My suggestion would be to play the superior EGA version. ;)

Just kidding. Not sure what would help...I haven't had that issue before. Sounds like an odd one though.

You might try playing the game in ScummVM though--it's compatible and requires far less tweaking than Dosbox.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

Re: QFG1VGA bug - disoriented cursor & can't target brig. le

#3 Post by Blake00 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:55 am

ahh yes the EXACT same bug happened to me last year but I thankfully managed to complete the game anyway using keyboard controls to walk and some exploratory clicking when required lol.

And yeah I remember that bit was an absolute struggle but I got him eventually.. just gotta keep reloading and clicking that potion near him until you hit the sweet spot lol. You should be able to work out where the game thinks your clicking on other screens from walking around.. thats the spot to aim around lol.