Missing a point 209/210 [SPOILER]

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

Missing a point 209/210 [SPOILER]

#1 Post by TriniMage » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 am

If you perform the Understanding Animal Speech spell before you get the cat hair you will not receive the point for getting the cat hair. It is quite possible that this is the point many people are missing even when they treat Medusa humanely and spy on the bandits.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Missing a point 209/210 [SPOILER]

#2 Post by Brainiac » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:42 am

I just finished testing this myself. It's true; you don't get the point if you can understand the cat (which is really lame since it's how you get the line from the original game). This explains a few people who've contacted me missing a point in the score and they claim they've done everything.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:37 am

Something went wrong in the checking mechanism. If you get a cat hair and a dog hair and you use the cat hair for the language spell, the second cat hair isn't meant to give you points.

Diath
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Diath » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 am

That explains my problem. I also did that the same way again on my current second play through...DANG IT!

hammer
Peasant Status

#5 Post by hammer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:34 pm

That's not the point that I'm missing. What do you mean "spy on the bandits"?

chucklas
Peasant Status

#6 Post by chucklas » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm

hammer wrote:That's not the point that I'm missing. What do you mean "spy on the bandits"?
You need to go where they hang out in a way they can't see you. You can hear them talk about the hideout.

hammer
Peasant Status

#7 Post by hammer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:01 pm

chucklas wrote:
hammer wrote:That's not the point that I'm missing. What do you mean "spy on the bandits"?
You need to go where they hang out in a way they can't see you. You can hear them talk about the hideout.
Isn't that required to win, because you can't get to the hideout until you hear that conversation?

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by ATMachine » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:21 pm

hammer wrote:
chucklas wrote:
Isn't that required to win, because you can't get to the hideout until you hear that conversation?
No. You need the "Fly like an Eagle or Fly" spell, but you don't need to spy on the bandits. You just have to go, as a fly, into the hole in the bandits' tree trunk, in order to discover the rope that controls the hideout's rope ladder. In my game, I lowered the ladder, stole the chest from the bandits, and only then eavesdropped on them in the tavern.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by TriniMage » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:57 pm

TriniMage wrote:If you perform the Understanding Animal Speech spell before you get the cat hair you will not receive the point for getting the cat hair. It is quite possible that this is the point many people are missing even when they treat Medusa humanely and spy on the bandits.
You can also miss letter to Mananan addressed to Mannanan... that’s 1 point... the reason for leaving it out in the original post was initially in the first couple of days after the release, some people (including me) had obtained all the items and done the alternate actions which should have yielded full points but we only got 209 points... On a replay I noticed that I did not get the point for the cat fur which I had gotten in a previous play. So I realized that in that previous game I had obtained the fur earlier (before the Language Spell) and I had used dog’s hair in that spell...
In case you are wondering how I would remember such a thing, I had tried on numerous occasions to catch the cat but with was experiencing too much bad luck (more likely poor clicking.) So to avoid wasting time running after the stupid cat when I would get the message "you are not close enough" I simply forgot to get the fur (the cat was remarkably absent from the rooms I visited) until I was ready to do the cat spell...

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by TriniMage » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:58 pm

If you are trying for the underachiever award a way to miss a point is to save the game before looking into the journal, look at the code, and then restore the game. The trapdoor will open if you have the correct code but did not see it in the book. It seems possible to guess the code without the book except there are so many permutations...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:22 pm

TriniMage wrote:It seems possible to guess the code without the book except there are so many permutations...
That is an understatement. Five possible entries in each of ten positions and alternately ordered repetitions are considered different entries. In other words, it's five to the tenth power - that's 9,765,625 possible permutations.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by TriniMage » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Brainiac wrote:
TriniMage wrote:It seems possible to guess the code without the book except there are so many permutations...
That is an understatement. Five possible entries in each of ten positions and alternately ordered repetitions are considered different entries. In other words, it's five to the tenth power - that's 9,765,625 possible permutations.
It’s still orders of magnitude greater than a tennis ball tunnelling through a solid concrete wall in quantum physics - a non-zero probability. Possible but not probable...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 am

Not possible either. The code to open the lab is generated when you read the journal for the first time. Until then, no code will work.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by TriniMage » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:20 am

Erpy wrote:Not possible either. The code to open the lab is generated when you read the journal for the first time. Until then, no code will work.

I restarted a new game and just picked up the spoon and went to the library, got the journal, save the game and then looked at the code. Then I shut down the game and restarted it. The code still worked when I reloaded the saved game...
Obviously if the code is generated when the book is opened and this game was saved before opening the book it should have no code so when I reload it after shutting down and restarting the game the trapdoor should not open; but it does!
I am going to test it further by shutting down the computer and reloading the game to see if it works... or transfer it to my notebook and see if it works the same way...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Brainiac » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:49 am

Erpy wrote:Not possible either. The code to open the lab is generated when you read the journal for the first time. Until then, no code will work.
Yeah, Erpy? TriniMage noticed that the code is set when you pick up the book, not when you open it. I confirmed her work. Check here.

You gotta love it when the end users understand the mechanics better than the designers. :p

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by TriniMage » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:32 am

Brainiac wrote: I confirmed her work.
:p
Major correction - Sorry It's HIS not her...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Brainiac » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:07 pm

TriniMage wrote:Major correction - Sorry It's HIS not her...
D'oh! Sorry. The handle threw me off.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by TriniMage » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Brainiac wrote:
TriniMage wrote:Major correction - Sorry It's HIS not her...
D'oh! Sorry. The handle threw me off.
Trinis are ppl from my island! Mage you know! No apology needed! LOL