Possible to refurbish QFGIV?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oriel
Royal Servant Status

Possible to refurbish QFGIV?

#1 Post by oriel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Hey Guys,

Great job with the remakes. I only wished that I had played KGIII when I was younger so I could enjoy the remake even more.

I don't know where you are headed in terms of your next remake, but I was wondering if you would consider refurbishing QFGIV.

Outside of all the known bugs, there is some more that could be done to make it more of the greater game it should have been. What comes to mind is touching up the speech to take out the slurring "S"es and adding speech animations to match what's said.

Let me know what you think.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Possible to refurbish QFGIV?

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 pm

I love it when people make requests like this. Like it's easy... or possible.

Bt

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by oriel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:00 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:I love it when people make requests like this. Like it's easy... or possible.

Bt
What are you, their attorney? I don't recall saying anything about "easy". But it's not impossible.

Let them speak for themselves.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:10 am

It's not possible to just tweak or edit existing games. Any sort of change would require first recreating the entire game from the bottom up. You can save some time by using the existing text and artwork, but most of the work comes from scripting, putting it all together, and working out the bugs, and the original won't help with any of that. So it'd be a matter of spending many months of hard work to complete the final product. And after all that time, the final product is something that already exists... but with better lip synching.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 am

Like others said, remaking QFG4 for the sole sake of a few small gripes (like better audio playback or lipsyncing) is like building a new house because one of the doors of your old one started squeaking. Since Dosbox and the patches available at Sierrahelp fix a lot of the harsher bugs in the game, the effort-payoff ratio becomes even more disproportionate. So no, it's not worth the years of work it'd take.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:46 am

oriel wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:I love it when people make requests like this. Like it's easy... or possible.

Bt
What are you, their attorney? I don't recall saying anything about "easy". But it's not impossible.

Let them speak for themselves.

I'm sure they will. But I will still love it when people make a suggestion like this.

Bt

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Blake00 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:14 am

lol@Blackthorne

Oriel:
Admittedly I'd love any excuse to return to QFG4 haha. :)

While I can easily make points and arguments for why QFG3 & 5 could use a remake or de-make respectively, I have to say QFG4 is pretty darn good on its own (still my favourite of the series).

As Erpy pointed out those awful game killing bugs are fixed in the excellent fan made patch available at sierrafiles. As for lip syncing it’s not exactly state of the art in any of these kind of games lol.

I know what you mean about the annoying “ss’s” but if a remake of QFG4 was to happen it'd need to be for more reasons for a fan game studio to rebuild the entire game in AGS. Eg like more quests/locations (the Mordavian valley was kinda small), or a graphic overhaul (upgrade the art work or make it SVGA or 3D).

Those things would be interesting but it doesn’t really NEED them heh. QFG2 needed a VGA remake, QFG3 is short and has holes so could use the KQ2 treatment, QFG5 feels visually disconnected from the series & many fans would enjoy a VGA demake.. but as for QFG4? Meh leave it be, unless a fan game studio has really really got nothing better to do hahaha. ;)

zazzaro
Peasant Status

#8 Post by zazzaro » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:12 am

I understand why people ask these types of questions. The fact is AGD just remakes great games. I can't imagine how they feel because giving the King's Quest license to telltale is really just a slap in the face (Well i wont speak for you all but it's a slap to mine). All the Sierra niche gamers know AGD would do a much better job rebooting the KQ series than Telltale will. It's so frustrating because all this time us fans have been waiting for this moment. Our old games we love so much have a chance to be back in the spotlight..... and they give the license to an inferior team. I'm sorry if you like telltale, but there is no way you could ever convince me AGD's version of a new kings quest wouldn't be better. We aren't sending our best chance to get these games attention again forward and if you couldn't tell it pisses me off. I can only feel for the Chris, Brit and the rest of the team because they more than deserved this opportunity. That being said i hope your new QFG type game has major success and you can use an original idea to gain mainstream popularity and not have to use the ideas of someone else. Keep doing what you do.... i 100% appreciate it.

*Edit* I also know IA's Kingdom of Sorrow will be better than whatever Telltale puts out. I really hope I'm wrong... but you all know you have the same worries i do.

A Huge fan (that used to have a forum account but had to re register)
Mike