Linux port done

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bero
Peasant Status

Linux port done

#1 Post by bero » Wed May 11, 2011 6:12 pm

I've ported kq3redux to Linux (a native port, not a wine wrapper or something - using my Linux port of the AGS source release).

Given the license terms displayed on startup, I can't release this port - any chance you're willing to distribute it on your site, or give me permission to (freely, of course) distribute it from mine?

Sslaxx
Peasant Status

Re: Linux port done

#2 Post by Sslaxx » Thu May 12, 2011 12:54 pm

That could be awkward for you to do, due to the license agreement with Activision I guess. Still, nice that you've got this done!

bero
Peasant Status

#3 Post by bero » Thu May 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Sslaxx wrote:That could be awkward for you to do, due to the license agreement with Activision I guess. Still, nice that you've got this done!
I have no problem turning the linux port of KQ3R over to Activision - after all it doesn't affect the AGS code that makes up around 99% of it -- they don't own the Windows and Mac ports of AGS either.

Sslaxx
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Sslaxx » Thu May 12, 2011 3:59 pm

bero wrote:
Sslaxx wrote:That could be awkward for you to do, due to the license agreement with Activision I guess. Still, nice that you've got this done!
I have no problem turning the linux port of KQ3R over to Activision - after all it doesn't affect the AGS code that makes up around 99% of it -- they don't own the Windows and Mac ports of AGS either.
I meant for you to release the port yourself. I suspect AGDI could do so if you were to give them what you've done though.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Nice! This sounds great. At such an early stage after the AGS engine's source code release, is this Linux port of King's Quest III Redux fully stable? Do all features work properly (cutscene movies etc.)? And I guess you've played the game though to the end?

If so, we could offer it for download from http://www.AGDInteractive.com. I'm not familiar with using the Linux OS, however. Is there a way to set the game up so that it installs using a proper installation program, which shows the licensing agreement preamble, sets up any registry settings, and so forth? (We use Innosetup for the Windows version.)

Did you port the most recent build of KQ3 Redux (v1.1) that was released a couple of days back? Or was the older v1.0 ported? It'd be best to have the latest version available for download on the site. It might also be nice to have Linux ports available for all the other remakes, if possible, too. People often inquire about whether they'll ever be available...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu May 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Would it be possible to download a live CD/DVD version of Knoppix or Ubuntu and boot into Linux straight off the disc to test to see if it works?

bero
Peasant Status

#7 Post by bero » Thu May 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Nice! This sounds great. At such an early stage after the AGS engine's source code release, is this Linux port of King's Quest III Redux fully stable?
It looks like it. So far I haven't been able to get the current version to misbehave.
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Do all features work properly (cutscene movies etc.)?
yes
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:And I guess you've played the game though to the end?
I played 1.0 through to the end, then updated to 1.1 - didn't finish playing that through yet (about halfway through).
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote: If so, we could offer it for download from http://www.AGDInteractive.com. I'm not familiar with using the Linux OS, however. Is there a way to set the game up so that it installs using a proper installation program, which shows the licensing agreement preamble, sets up any registry settings, and so forth? (We use Innosetup for the Windows version.)
Installation programs like that are very uncommon on Linux - we usually install software through a package manager (depending on the flavor of Linux being used, usually rpm or dpkg) that installs the software and takes care of dependency tracking.
It's also possible to build an installation program, using e.g. Installjammer, which is pretty much the same thing as Innosetup.
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Did you port the most recent build of KQ3 Redux (v1.1) that was released a couple of days back? Or was the older v1.0 ported? It'd be best to have the latest version available for download on the site.
Fully tested 1.0, then updated to 1.1, still busy playing now ;)
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:It might also be nice to have Linux ports available for all the other remakes, if possible, too. People often inquire about whether they'll ever be available...
I'd be happy to do them (and also your non-remake games), but it somewhat depends on what Chris Jones decides to do with the AGS code.
Right now, only the source for AGS 3.2 is available, so there's not much I can do to port games that use AGS 2.x (I think most of your other remakes are still on 2.72?).
I've already asked him to make the 2.x source available and he wasn't very opposed - may or may not happen, and could take a while.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu May 12, 2011 9:53 pm

No. All the other remakes have been updated to 3.2 as well now.

bero
Peasant Status

#9 Post by bero » Fri May 13, 2011 8:27 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:No. All the other remakes have been updated to 3.2 as well now.
Oh, great, that will keep me busy over the weekend ;)

bero
Peasant Status

#10 Post by bero » Sat May 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Did you port the most recent build of KQ3 Redux (v1.1) that was released a couple of days back? Or was the older v1.0 ported? It'd be best to have the latest version available for download on the site. It might also be nice to have Linux ports available for all the other remakes, if possible, too. People often inquire about whether they'll ever be available...
Quick update: KQ3 Redux 1.1 seems to be fully working
KQ2 and QFG2 seem to work at a quick glance, but I'm nowhere near playing them through to test fully
KQ1 crashes on startup, there's something odd happening in apeg (the video player embedded in AGS). I'm pretty sure I can fix that, but I'm not that sure when I'll have enough time.

DaemonDarqueGS
Peasant Status

#11 Post by DaemonDarqueGS » Sat May 14, 2011 6:09 pm

While I don't use Linux, it's great to see someone supporting it for that platform. I've always wanted to set up a computer with linux to at least see what it's like, but I haven't had a spare one. Good luck!

bero
Peasant Status

#12 Post by bero » Sat May 14, 2011 10:39 pm

bero wrote:Quick update: KQ3 Redux 1.1 seems to be fully working
KQ2 and QFG2 seem to work at a quick glance, but I'm nowhere near playing them through to test fully
KQ1 crashes on startup, there's something odd happening in apeg (the video player embedded in AGS). I'm pretty sure I can fix that, but I'm not that sure when I'll have enough time.
Fixed the KQ1 crash -- it was caused by the ancient version of mpg123 built into AGS.
So, lots of testing and packaging left to do - where do I send finished builds so others can test?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:59 am

Nice work! Do you have a means of uploading them anywhere?

If not, you could temporarily upload them to http://www.megaupload.com and then e-mail me the links at info@AGDInteractive.com. I can upload them to our server so that others can give them a test run.

wirelessdreamer
Peasant Status

#14 Post by wirelessdreamer » Wed May 18, 2011 4:46 pm

feel free to send me a message, I'd be glad to help test qfg2 fully though, I haven't got around to playing through kq 1-3 before so I couldn't do a full test of them in a reasonable amount of time.

captmiddy
Peasant Status

#15 Post by captmiddy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Has there been any progress on making this available, or any set of instructions on how someone might do this for themselves knowing it would be unsupported?

I don't have a hardware based Windows install available but would really like to play these games. Apparently they don't work so well with KVM and I can't install wine (don't ask).

shazzner
Peasant Status

#16 Post by shazzner » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 pm

I to would like to know about this, as I run Ubuntu.

Collector
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Collector » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:38 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Is there a way to set the game up so that it installs using a proper installation program, which shows the licensing agreement preamble, sets up any registry settings, and so forth? (We use Innosetup for the Windows version.)
Just curious, what registry settings do you make? I can't see much need beyond simple uninstall information. For other platforms this would be moot as neither Mac nor Linux has a Registry.

kati
Peasant Status

#18 Post by kati » Wed May 02, 2012 4:35 am

i'd love to play, port, test, any linux releases of AGDI games...