Blocking bug when feeding the wizard with special porridge'

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Fafhred
Peasant Status

Blocking bug when feeding the wizard with special porridge'

#1 Post by Fafhred » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:37 pm

(Note: your forum area for bugs is listed for KQ1 & KQ2 only, and all reports for this game appear to be here, so I follow suit).

After the wizard ate the poisoned porridge, he complains and moves to the left of the room, then the hero moves a bit towards him and talk, including the first 2 verses of the spell.
Then NOTHING else happen: the game is stuck at this point, the cursor in 'cat face mode', even after trying to wait some time while reading a book.
The timer keeps going (so it is probably not a freeze), but no further game interaction is possible. The ESC key does not exit the 'cat face mode' as it did when playing the lute.

The only way to exit is forcibly aborting the game with Alt-F4

Configuration: your latest version downloaded a few days ago, on a Windows 7 laptop.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Blocking bug when feeding the wizard with special porrid

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Do you have either the music or speech volume volume slider at the very bottom setting (on silent) when this scene plays?

If not, see if muting the sliders works. And if so, see if raising the sliders does the trick.

You could also try running winsetup.exe and see whether selecting a different sound driver works.

The scene isn't skippable like others in the game because it's an important event. But it shouldn't freeze and I don't think anyone else has ever reported a freeze here. Since you mentioned a laptop, it could also be something similar to the issue mentioned here:

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=42635.0

Fafhred
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Fafhred » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:49 pm

I have the music silent, I hate music in games and that is always the first thing I do in any game.
The rest is on default settings.

The issue reported on that post is about a mouse issue, my mouse work fine.
Then it talks about an issue with 32 bits color under Windows 7, which I have no way to test on this laptop: contrarily to a desktop, there is NO OPTION anywhere to change the bits depth (which is visibly high graphics), only the screen resolution (I checked every possible option in menu in the control panel).
In a nutshell, I am probably in a better than 32 bits color mode, and cannot switch to a 32 bits color mode.
Last edited by Fafhred on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Does turning up the music slider temporarily allow you to bypass the freeze?

Fafhred
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Fafhred » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I will try that next time I can start the game (not possible just now).

Fafhred
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Fafhred » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Even pushing the music setting to the maximum does not change anything.
It is the same save I just uploaded for my other post.

howright
Peasant Status

Re: Blocking bug when feeding the wizard with special porridge'

#7 Post by howright » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:38 pm

This is happening to me and it's driving me bonkers! Stops at exactly the same page as described above, after the first two lines of the spell. Cat face loading cursor doesn't let me do anything. I'm running this on the retropie OS on a Raspberry Pi 4 using AGS. Please help me get past this bug!!!!! I've loaded from a previous state and tacked on a couple more sleep/journey cycles, but the same result.

HunterZ
Peasant Status

#8 Post by HunterZ » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:47 am

howright wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:38 pm This is happening to me and it's driving me bonkers! Stops at exactly the same page as described above, after the first two lines of the spell. Cat face loading cursor doesn't let me do anything. I'm running this on the retropie OS on a Raspberry Pi 4 using AGS. Please help me get past this bug!!!!! I've loaded from a previous state and tacked on a couple more sleep/journey cycles, but the same result.
This is also happening to me, but I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue with the AGS 3.5 engine that I'm running with. I don't want to play through the game a third time (first attempt hit dead man walking state) so I might just have to watch a let's play, since the save format probably isn't backwards compatible.

ivan mogilko
Peasant Status

#9 Post by ivan mogilko » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:04 pm

Hello, I am current AGS engine maintainer, HunterZ reported this problem in our issue tracker.

There's a bug in AGS engine since v3.4.1 that causes this game to freeze.
Technically, the reason is that it does a case-sensitive search for a music clip while the actual clip is named in uppercase. And the following game script relies on this music to be playing as it triggers actions at certain playback positions.
(I cannot say that the same thing was happening in 2011 as a lot of things changed since, but might've been related)
To be frank, I think this is also a game issue, because imo it should not rely on music playing that hard as players may disable music in config. But that's a separate issue.

Before next version is released properly the fixed engine could be downloaded from our build server here:
https://cirrus-ci.com/build/4689847932682240

HunterZ
Peasant Status

#10 Post by HunterZ » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:11 pm

Update: I reported the issue to the current AGS development team on Github, and they say they found the issue on their side and fixed it!
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ ... -782916249

Not sure when it will end up in a release version.