I need help developing a story.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

I need help developing a story.

#1 Post by Renodox » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:07 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a dream a couple nights ago and I think that it would make a GREAT plot for a game.

"I found myself on the set for the movie The Lion King, but what was weird about it was that Nala was just as big as me. When I looked at the size of the set I realized that something was wrong and discovered that I was Simba! Anyway, I noticed that I was wearing a strange badge on my chest.

Moving on... I later met up with Timon who ALSO had a badge. He mentioned that he was not the real Timon the Meerkat and had been human too. However, neither one of us knew how this happened. We decided to try and remove each other's badges as neither one of us could do so ourselves. Together we succeeded but the badges connected to the new host bodies and we switched bodies!"

Anyway, I came up with this game plot: You start out in an animal body. However, you know that you are not an animal and are: in fact, human. You notice that you are wearing a badge but you are a quadruped and the badge is in a spot you cannot reach it with your mouth. So, you start the game trying to find a way to remove the badge. When you finally get another to remove the badge for you, you switch bodies. This means you play as a different animal for a while. As the game progresses, you learn how to remove the badge yourself (if you can do so in that body) but you cannot remain outside of a body. Therefore, you attach the badge to other animals to take that form. Each form comes with new capabilities but also opens you to new dangers.

During the game, you discover that there are other people who are also trapped in animal bodies due to these badges and none of them know the full story about how or why it happened. You mission: find your true body, discover how to deactivate all the badges to save everyone, and discover who's doing this and for what purpose.

Anyway, I think this can make a pretty elaborate game plot but I'm having difficulty coming up with an engaging story. If someone is willing to help me out with a storyline I'd be appreciative of it. Thanks.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

I don't want it to be humans in animal costumes, it's not a transformation that reflects your heart and mind, it is not a dream, and it's not anthromorphic animals.

If you want any of these ideas for your own game then feel free to use it. I won't mind nor complain.

However, for my story the basis is: Someone has found a way to put a person's essence into a badge and has been placing them on different animals from around the world. When a badge containing someone's essence is placed on an animal that person's mind takes over the animal's body. Who ends up in what body seems to be random. The people are fully aware of what has happened to them: they know they were human and now they are trapped in an animal body. You are one of these people. However, due to a malfunction in your badge you are able to remove the badge and you can place it onto a different animal body and take on that form. You cannot change into any animal you want at will: some animals won't allow you to place the badge on them, and you can only turn into an animal that's in the immediate area.

While changing bodies is necessary in the game, there are several ways to complete a task depending on which body you inhabit.

Sometimes, it will be necessary to inhabit the body of an animal you may not want to be because of the "inconveniences" they face. I.E. If you must inhabit the body of a cow you must endure how it feels to be milked.

True sex will not occur in the game. You may have to deal with other animals being attracted to you but you never want to be with them.

The animal bodies will remain the same as any real animal in the world. This way, the badge cannot just be plucked off the body if he animal doesn't have hands.

You will have some urges that the real animal has which may be trouble for you and you have to fight it.

For the most part, your character sees the change as a curse, and starts to get used to it and learn the advantages of being able to take on other bodies in time. The ultimate goal to return to true form remains, however.

Until the game finally ends you cannot return to your true form.

Please stick to these criteria.

crackerjack
Peasant Status

Re: I need help developing a story.

#2 Post by crackerjack » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Seems like a cool idea, but have you thought of the idea of a bracelet or some kind of electronic device rather than a badge?

Just a thought, but other than that it sounds like that could be a fun game to play!

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

Re: I need help developing a story.

#3 Post by Renodox » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:59 am

The problem with a bracelet or a ring is that it's either too easy to remove or if it's something like the Manacle of Osiris found in The Mummy Returns it's too hard to remove. The badge sticks to your character like a strong magnet to metal and it doesn't change size depending on what you're attached to. The badge I visualize is about the size of an adult human's thumbnail.

It would also be of help if someone could tell me a site where I could find some writers who might be interested in writing about something like this.