Soundtrack available?

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Soundtrack available?

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 am

Is there any way to get me hands on a few of the songs that were in this game? I am particularly fond of the song that plays in the screen where Minstrel is at. It's a redone version of the theme from King's Quest IV. I love that song! Sometimes when I'm playing KQ3Redux, I will pause the game at that scene and just listen to that music...

MusicallyInspired was the one who did the music for this game? Bravo and I hope I haven't offended you in anyway by asking on how I might be able to get me hands of a few of them songs. Just to listen to on my mp3 honestly. :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Soundtrack available?

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 am

I'm working on a soundtrack release, that theme included. But it's not ready yet.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by FatherGhostface » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:02 pm

^That's awesome! I hate to ask this but...would the soundtrack be free to download or would you want us to pay? :\

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:12 pm

If I charged for it I'm sure ActiVision's lawyers would be all over me in no time. It's illegal for me to sell it seeing as it technically belongs to ActiVision and everything about the game is supposed to be free. Also, the soundtracks for the past AGDI remakes are all free so why would I charge for this one?

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by FatherGhostface » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Okay, just checking. I'm not all that informed about this stuff so I wasn't sure, therefore I simply asked.

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by oversight1979 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:25 am

I am looking forward to the soundtrack too. But patience is a virtue. When it comes out, I am sure it will be great!

moronometer
Peasant Status

#7 Post by moronometer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:59 pm

I would also like this soundtrack.

I LOVE that creepy theme music. LOVE it.

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#8 Post by spacecadet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 am

Patiently waiting for the soundtrack as well :)

Also, in addition to MI's post under PAW's playthrough detailing the influence of various KQ pieces on the score, I just noticed that the music in the scene when you're cornered by the Yeti in his cave is very similar to the Minotaur's Lair theme from KQ6, which is a nice thematic connection to make. My first couple times playing through the game I just teleported past him so I missed that optional bit in his cave. Nice touch.

MusicallyInspired

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Actually, I modelled that theme more after the theme that plays when the Druids are trying to cook you alive in the cage over that fire. Other elements may have snuck in, though, which would make sense seeing as those are very similar areas between those games.

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#10 Post by spacecadet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Oh, you're right! My mistake, the druids scene was where I remembered it from. The minotaur theme was actually completely different, starting with stringent matador-like strums when the minotaur detects you, then becoming more upbeat as you're backed up against the fire pit. KQ6 had an incredible score.

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Chyron_8472 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:37 pm

I also am greatly interested.

schnautzr
Peasant Status

#12 Post by schnautzr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:53 am

Just curious-- I read several months ago about how your computer got fried...you didn't lose the scores, too, I hope! Did you? If so, wow....I feel for ya. :(

Lol...and just for fun you should include the original Greensleeves track.

MusicallyInspired

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:13 am

Yeah, I lost basically everything a couple years ago. I'm going to be doing everything from scratch again. Except better. :)

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by oversight1979 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 am

Ok. So after working on the soundtrack for this game, you say, you lost everything? Really? Have you ever heard of backing your hard work up? Like on multiple hard drives, incase you lose the information on one of them. I always back my things up, multiple times. Now we all have to wait for you to re do the soundtrack all because you were careless. I'm not trying to be rude, but come on. Common sense, here.

I am a very poor person, I have the hard drive on my computer. Plus 3 external hard drives that I constantly back things up on. So if the hard drive in my computer, takes a dump on me, I've still got everything I need and nothing lost. I even back things up, weekly, just in case.

And if you're going to buy an external hard drive, don't buy a crap drive. ALWAYS, and I mean, ALWAYS, buy Western Digital. With their drives, you can even password protect them for extra security.

Now, no more excuses. Get us that soundtrack, before you finish the one for IA's SQ2. Afterall, this game, came first.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#15 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:09 pm

You know, you're coming off sounding a bit like a self-entitled brat again. You might want to type what you want to say, walk away and come back and reread it with a fresh mind. When someone gives you something they've worked very hard on for YEARS, and they don't charge you anything for it, it comes across rather harsh when you say things like this. It is okay to ask for things and give feedback, but do it with some class.

At any rate, hind sight is always 20/20. I'm sure if Brandon would have had the time/money/resources, he would have done things differently. One of the good things about being on the programming team was that we were constantly sharing the source code back and forth. That meant that if I lost everything, one of the other team members would have a relatively new copy. Unfortunately for Brandon, the only files he was sharing were the finalized files. There was no need for him to upload any of his source files.

I'm thinking if I were to work on a future project, I'd probably want to set up a source code vault that you have to upload everything to and then check it out when you want to work on it. Not only does that keep everything backed up, but it ensures that two people don't try working on the same file at the same time.

Again... hind sight 20/20... :\

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by oversight1979 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm

I said I didn't mean to sound rude. But still. Lets use common sense people. Back your hard worked things up. Even if you have to do it several times. I do. Is it really that hard to back your hard worked projects up?

I have very little money, myself and yet I was able to purchase 3 external drives, good drives at that so as not to lose my information. I back my work up once a week, if not more times a week.

So I'm sorry. Not backing your hard work up is careless and stupid.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#17 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:35 am

You have a very strange method of convincing people that it's worth giving you what you want...

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by oversight1979 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:01 pm

I don't have patience for people who are careless. I'm sorry. I understand that mistakes can happen, but in this day in age, things can easily be backed up and accidents are preventable.

MusicallyInspired

#19 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 pm

I did have my work backed up. In fact, I have a lot of the earlier stuff on backup DVDs and CDs. Even now. But not all of it. I also had everything backed up on a backup hard drive. Here's the story: I was formatting my machine and reinstalling Windows. I thought I could trust Windows to make smart and common sense decisions but of course you cannot. As I reinstalled Windows I left my backup drive plugged in thinking nothing could ever happen to it. It was at that moment that Windows decided that it was ok to install itself on BOTH hard drives without telling me and even thought I only chose drive C as the installation drive. I ended up with two installations of Windows on both drives. I took my drive in to get professionally recovered and I retrieved quite a lot of information, unfortunately, my KQ3 and SQ2 backup files were not among it.

I'm sorry that you can afford things that I can't. I probably have even less money than you do. I dream of having three external backup hard drives. But when you're married with two young children you've got to put your money into other things like providing for them with food, clothes, diapers, medication, rent, bill payments, birthdays, Christmases, etc etc. I just don't have a lot of money that I can spend on my SPARE TIME PROJECTS if I have any at all. But thank you for lecturing me on management skills.

I probably would have backed up the files again on another DVD or two but I probably was out of them and didn't have any money to spare to buy anymore. And considering I already had it backed up on my backup hard drive I probably also didn't deem it necessary at the time. Sean's right, hindsight is everything. Now for all my projects, professional or not, I back up everything on an external hard drive that I have now. I haven't lost anything since. It's rapidly running out of space (only a gig or so left out of 640) but I don't have any money right now to spend on DVDs or another external HDD at the moment and probably won't for a while.

For the record, people like you discourage me from doing anything like this for people for free. I'm putting a lot of time into music in a lot of areas in my life right now. Much of it I'm getting paid for now. The fact that I'm squeezing this project (and SQ2) in for free is something I don't have to do. I could drop it all, forget about it and move on to other more lucrative projects. But I love this game, and I love the KQ community and I'm doing this for them. Comments like yours that come along with such a putrid stench of entitlement make me think "Why bother at all?" If this was a paid project it would have been done two years ago before the game came out and would have been ready for the game's release. For that matter, KQ3 and SQ2 would also have been done ages ago if we were paid. But we weren't. So just be patient, wait your turn and you'll get it eventually. I don't have patience for spoiled brats who think they're entitled to everything under the sun. You're lucky you're getting it at all. I'm completely redoing the soundtrack in a much higher quality and presentation standard than it ever would have been if I hadn't lost the source files. Again, all out of the goodness of my heart. I'm doing that to make up for the wait which I also don't have to do. However, I know people like you are in the minority so I won't ruin it for everybody else by taking it out on the likes of you. You're not worth it anyway.

You say "I don't mean to sound rude" but that doesn't mean you don't. I don't owe you anything. You owe me an apology.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#20 Post by Lambonius » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:15 am

Wow. Truly, this guy is God's oversight.

AGDI mods, can you guys just ban this piece of human trash so that we don't have to be bothered with his asinine drivel anymore? Is there nowhere in the Sierra fan community that this wretch can't pollute with his waste-of-air comments?

Seriously dude, walk out into traffic.

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by oversight1979 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:26 am

Wow. I really am sorry that happened to you, Musically Inspired. I retract all of my horrible statements. I guess I should have gotten the story about what happened first before making that kind of judgement. Ok. I am truly sorry for attacking you.

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:46 am

Don't jump to conclusions, attack, and insult people when you don't have the whole story. It all comes down to being far too impatient. Learn patience. They say it's a virtue. It's true. Take up a hobby. Do something else. Eventually these things you're waiting for will get done but they're not priority. Not to me nor you. Hacking on people isn't going to make it appear any faster.

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#23 Post by spacecadet » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 am

Wow MI, sorry to hear of the circumstances of the data loss, and also sorry that you feel you have to make justifications here just because a person took the wrong approach about getting free content. Mistakes do happen, especially when technology is involved, and we'd be well served to remember the subtitle to this very game, minus the lame pun. ;)

And anyway, it's not like the thing has been lost to the ages... the music survived to grace the game, and a higher-quality soundtrack will be released in time. In the meantime, those who wish to enjoy it can do as I do and just boot up the game every time to listen to it.

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by oversight1979 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:18 am

Well, since no one is willing to respond to my PM's, I guess I will have to ask my question on here. MI, how is the soundtrack coming for this game?

I hope I get a responce.

MusicallyInspired

#25 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Eventually these things you're waiting for will get done but they're not priority. Not to me nor you.