So what's this about a 'Kings Quest Reboot' they're making?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

So what's this about a 'Kings Quest Reboot' they're making?

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:48 pm

So are we talking games with completely different characters, quests, storylines, etc. I mean I guess that's what a 'reboot' essentially is, but is that really the jist of it? Can really we trust these new people to write and create great storylines and characters? :|

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: So what's this about a 'Kings Quest Reboot' they're maki

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 pm

It's not a reboot. They didn't word that properly. It's basically a rivival. They said they aren't going to be ignoring the established canon.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#3 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Is there a site or post about this somewhere? Did I miss something obvious?

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 pm

You mean the fact that TellTale is making a King's Quest game? It's incredibly old news by now. Almost a year old.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1150947p1.html

gamecreator
Knight Status

#5 Post by gamecreator » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Ah. It's so old I forgot about it. Curious what they show off in 5 months.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by FatherGhostface » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:42 pm

^Are they ever gonna give us an update on this? This was announced last year and it's been a while, it would be nice to know they're still alive or something... :|

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm

On of the longest running and still frequented threads in the KQ section of TTG's forums is that exact question.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by pbpb33 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was really curious about this. I first learned about the Telltale King's Quest project on this very message board. I see nothing about the game on their website. Too much time has passed. Makes me wonder if the game has been put on hold indefinitely.

I don't really like the Telltale episodic games, and would like to see someone else make new King's Quest titles.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#9 Post by gamecreator » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:23 am

Doesn't seem like there's anything going on with it.
May 16, 2012 article
King’s Quest kind of came in with all of the other licenses at the same time. We’d already had the Universal stuff for a while and we were working on that, and then we signed King’s Quest around the same time as Walking Dead and Fables, and we’ve gone into production on both of those, and King’s Quest is one that we’ve been trying to figure out how to staff and get into production.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/16/ho ... ame-genre/

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by pbpb33 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Another development team ought to be given the opportunity to do a new King's Quest. Telltale needs to give it up. Telltale games in many ways aren't even true, classic-style adventures. Besides, Dave Grossman of Telltale already made it clear he doesn't think much of the KQ series. It just seems like such a slap in the face to KQ adventure game fans and to the original KQ Sierra designers to have someone like this get the license rights and then sit on them (assuming nothing is happening), essentially preventing anyone else from doing anything with the series.

I hate to be rude, but I'm a little pissed off about this. Considering the work of Gilbert, Schaefer and Grossman since each of them left LucasArts, I think it is easy to see who was and who wasn't the real brains/talent responsible for the success of MI and DOTT. Telltale's episodic games, while polished, can't hold a candle to those LucasArts classics. Not even close. Sorry, but it's true.

As a long-time adventure game fan, I call on Telltale to relinquish the KQ license/rights if they do not announce (within 6 months) any definitive plans for new King's Quest games.

Frankly, I hope Telltale doesn't touch King's Quest. In terms of damaging and perverting a game series, Telltale could do to KQ what Magna Cum Laude and Box Office Bust did to LSL.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by rugged » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:08 am

Considering the work of Gilbert, Schaefer and Grossman since each of them left LucasArts, I think it is easy to see who was and who wasn't the real brains/talent responsible for the success of MI and DOTT. Telltale's episodic games, while polished, can't hold a candle to those LucasArts classics. Not even close. Sorry, but it's true.
I am not a fan of telltales games either. I have downloaded several of the free episodes but have never felt compelled to buy a series. Now I don't even bother downloading the freebies as I know I don't enjoy their style. However I still think you are being a bit harsh suggesting that the type of products Telltale is producing means they wern't the talent behind any of LA success. They have adapted their games and have clearly found a market which enjoys what they produce. While it ain't my flavour their ability to turn existing IP into profitable episodic games is impressive and I wouldn't question their talents or brains.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:26 am

You are right. I don't think that was right of me to say. Still, I do regard Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert as being in a category of their own.

I would like to see a petition asking for another development team to create a new King's Quest game if Telltale announces no definitive plans in the next 6 months.