Tim Schafer wins the Kickstarter thread

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Tim Schafer wins the Kickstarter thread

#1 Post by DrJones » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:59 pm

"The Order of the Stick" is a webcomic drawn in stick figure style that spoofs D&D and that has been around for 9 years. Now, there's an ongoing project at kickstarter to reprint all the "order of the stick" compilation books that are out of print, starting with the third book in the series, "War and XPs". If the project gets funded at 57.000$ by the end of a month, all the pledgers will get at least one fridge magnet and one exclusive story drawn by the author. And if there's enough money, it will go towards the reprinting of the next book that requires it the most, "No Cure for the Paladin Blues"...

Wait, what I'm hearing? That the project got funded on the first day alone? That it reached 100.000$ on its second day? What are you telling me? That it got to 250.000$ after the first week alone?! That it's now over 500.000$ just after TWO weeks?! That it's about to become the fifth most succesful project in Kickstarter history, and soon will get 1000% funded? :eek

Woah, that's just crazy!! What's more crazy, it's that the creator has been updating nonstop every time a goal (or three) has been reached, which is the same as saying every day, adding new rewards and prizes for all pledgers, plus drawing a pretty fun graph mini-comic in each update. Right now, all people that pledge 10$ or more get like 100 pages worth of exclusive material in PDF format, plus a magnet and free wallpapers. That alone is an incredible deal! But if you spend at least 25$ you also get an OotS poster, stickers, notepads, and even a coloring book! You even have the chance to buy any combination of the compilation books in the same pledge, plus the three specials.

So, if you're a fan of Order of the Stick like me, you can't let pass this opportunity. If you aren't, then it's the perfect time to become one!! And in any case, just looking at the amazing (and ongoing!) success of this project spiraling out of control day after day is hilarious enough to be worth a look. :lol

If this post count as spam, I'll edit the post to instead link to some of the gaming and comic websites that are covering the news. I just couldn't resist spreading the news after this incredible turn of events. :o
Last edited by DrJones on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Order of the Stick reprint drive

#2 Post by DrJones » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Do you know what's even more ridiculous than getting 500.000$ in two weeks? Getting them in half a day!!!

Yeah, that's right. Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert have tried Kickstarter for their next game project, which is going to be an 'indie' classic point n click adventure game, and they've reached their 400.000$ goal in eight hours. :eek

Here's the project page.

I'm happy that this topic is now more closely related with the subject of these boards. :p
Last edited by DrJones on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Tim Schafer wins the Kickstarter thread

#3 Post by DrJones » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:47 pm

It's already 615.000$ after 15 hours. At this rate, it might reach 1.000.000$ in one day! :eek

This will probably have an impact on the adventure game industry, so it's both great news for the players, and a bit worrisome for the indie developers. Worst scenario is having to compete against "indie" game projects in the million dollar range.

EDIT: 850.000$ after 19 hours.
Last edited by DrJones on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Just beyond amazing. Can't wait.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 pm

The game reached 1.000.000$ right after 22 hours since the kickstarter project got published. It'll probably beat the most funded project ever before the day ends, making it not only the highest funded project in Kickstarter's history, but also the fastest. At this rate, it's going to easily reach 10-15 million by the end of the pledge. :eek

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Blake00 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 am

haha darn it someone beat me too it! Was gonna posted a thread about it here as I figured you guys would find it very interesting!

How amazing is this for the world of point & click adventure gaming.. a million dollars in just a day when they only asked for 400grand!!!

It's still going even now.. a mate and I loaded the page and it was at 1mil 107grand and then we chatted about it for a bit and watched their video for a few minutes and hit the refresh button and it was 1mil 109grand.. went up 2 grand in like 5 minutes lol. Infact while I've been typing this is gone up to 1mil 121 grand.. it can't be stopped lol!!!

Here's a good rock paper shotgun article on the whole event. People should also play the 'pitch' video on their project page too, its hilarious lol!! :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02 ... ckstarter/

Chief
Knight Status

#7 Post by Chief » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:17 am

This is insane how much they are getting.. very happy for them. i had to get in on it too!!!

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Blake00 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:54 am

For fellow lovers of adventure gaming this is very interesting half an hour interview between the grandmasters. I quite enjoyed listening to them talk about the good old days. It was shot just before the big blow out at kickstarter so some of their low budget ideas here have changed haha!

Double Fine Adventure! Ron Gilbert's Words of Wisdom to Tim Schafer

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#9 Post by DrJones » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:25 am

The drive surpassed 3.000.000$ half a day before the end of the pledge. Well, technically it reached that number a few hours ago, as Tim Schafer mentioned they got 100.000$ from premium pledges outside of kickstarter. It looks like the success of the drive is going to make the game much longer and so it won't be finished until next year. Tim Schafer is already "documenting himself" about point n click adventure games, which means he's going to play a lot of them. He has put a poll on the double fine forums about the best adventure games made in the last ten years. Even if you don't know any, it's worth the time just to know which great adventure games you might have missed! I personally didn't know anything about Ghost Trick.

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:22 pm

They're starting to broadcast now. Doing some tests.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/double-fine-adventure

MusicallyInspired

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 am

The final tally:

$3,335,265 raised on Kickstarter from 87,138 backers with an extra $110,000 donated outside of Kickstarter bringing the total to:

$3,445,265

EDIT: Went up a bit.

$3,336,371 + $110,000 = $3,446,371