Interesting glitch with the astrologer and alleway system

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klint-psk
Peasant Status

Interesting glitch with the astrologer and alleway system

#1 Post by Klint-psk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:55 pm

I founded this glitch some months ago, and today I reproduced it. With this glitch you can travel through the classic alleway system (CAS), even if you use the simplified alleway system (SAS).
It's extremely simple of reproduce. Just wait until Sunset and go to the astrologer's house. Wait there until is night and TADAAA!, when he kicks you out of his house you'll be in the CAS. Some things worth to note:
- Your map will not work properly: it always mark your location as the last known before you were kicked out the astrologer's house.
- If you go to any place that it isn't an alleway, you'll be back at the SAS.
- You can go to the Saurus Repair Shop. If you do, the shop will be marked in your SAS's map, and if you go after returning to the SAS, you'll be back again at the CAS!

I think you can do the Pizza elemental's and Sir James' sidequests using this glitch, but I haven't check it yet. I don't know why, but I find this glitch hilarious. Here's one picture.

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last of all, sorry if this glitch was already reported before, but after looking 3 pages in the subforum I don't see any reference to this. By the way, I'm using the 2.0 version of the game.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Interesting glitch with the astrologer and alleway syste

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Interesting find, indeed! Does this only happen when being kicked out of the astrologer's house? Or does it occur when being kicked out of other places at night time too?

If we ever release another build, I'll get it fixed.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Good catch, and pretty interesting bug! It would be pretty interesting if this glitch allowed to do the sidequests in simplified mode, and no, I don't recall anyone reporting this glitch before. :D

Chris, if you release another build, you'll have to fix the combat system, too, which many people have said runs too slow in windows 7, though I can't experience it myself from my rusty windows XP. :)

Klint-psk
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Klint-psk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:41 pm

DrJones wrote:Good catch, and pretty interesting bug! It would be pretty interesting if this glitch allowed to do the sidequests in simplified mode, and no, I don't recall anyone reporting this glitch before. :D

Chris, if you release another build, you'll have to fix the combat system, too, which many people have said runs too slow in windows 7, though I can't experience it myself from my rusty windows XP. :)
I use W7, and I can say that runs extremely slow *sometimes* (long time ago it runs perfectly, I don't know why now it doesn't). I find two ways of fix this:
- Pure luck: one of the many times you run the game, it's speed will be normal.
- Changing afinity: Ctrl+Alt+Del, Process, QfG2VGA.exe, set affinity, and leaving marked only CPU 0*. It doesn't go as it should, but certainly faster than before.

*keep in mind that I'm spanish and my W7 is obviously in spanish, so maybe the steps doesn't have that names, I just translated them.
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Interesting find, indeed! Does this only happen when being kicked out of the astrologer's house? Or does it occur when being kicked out of other places at night time too?

If we ever release another build, I'll get it fixed.
That raises a question: why the player can't change the alleway system once he starts the game? The change in the alleway system caused by this glitch seems almost totally functional. I can easily see that changing the alleways while standing in one would be dangerous, but saving that...