can't record midi from game

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

kingalexander
Peasant Status

can't record midi from game

#1 Post by kingalexander » Tue May 01, 2012 8:35 pm

i like to have midi files on my computer to listen to so I download from internet and record from games (which i haven't reallly learned to do until recently). the newer version refuses to start without digital music and the oldest version i could get keeps giving me errors when im trying to record (no other ags game does that).

BTW, i keep reading reviews of IA's KQ3VGA referring to its soundtrack as midi. has a midi version of the game really existed or what?

DarkMistress89
Peasant Status

Re: can't record midi from game

#2 Post by DarkMistress89 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Is there really ANY additional music in KQ1VGA compared to the SCI version?

I played KQ3VGA back in 2006 and as far as I know it was digital from the start. It definitely must have been MIDI based from the beginning though. I guess if the original MIDI files still exist somewhere, your best shot is to ask Infamous Adventures yourself. I was kinda disappointed by the soundtrack release because the whole soundtrack (like the game) is really phenomenal and not too far away from KQ2+ and KQ3R and like them really deserve more than a few tracks.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu May 03, 2012 2:48 pm

The soundtrack to IA's KQ3 was never MIDI. It was always digital.

DarkMistress89
Peasant Status

#4 Post by DarkMistress89 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:The soundtrack to IA's KQ3 was never MIDI. It was always digital.
Yes. But I'm pretty sure that it has existed as standard GM or MT-32 MIDI files even though it was never released that way. If kingalexander is lucky, someone at IA may still have those files.

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 pm

No, Peter Rocker would have recorded the soundtrack with an exclusive sound library that is not General MIDI compatible. It would actually be more work to take his source files and dumb them down to be General MIDI compliant and rework the MIDI note data (velocities, panning, instrument patches, etc) so that the compositions still work properly. People still use MIDI to compose but it's no where near General MIDI compatible anymore with the vast amounts of completely different sound library plugins and digital audio workstations available, which all use different formats and implementations.

DarkMistress89
Peasant Status

#6 Post by DarkMistress89 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:37 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:No, Peter Rocker would have recorded the soundtrack with an exclusive sound library that is not General MIDI compatible. It would actually be more work to take his source files and dumb them down to be General MIDI compliant and rework the MIDI note data (velocities, panning, instrument patches, etc) so that the compositions still work properly. People still use MIDI to compose but it's no where near General MIDI compatible anymore with the vast amounts of completely different sound library plugins and digital audio workstations available, which all use different formats and implementations.
That sounds believable. I'm not so versed in what equipment Peter aka SoupAngel used except for Cakewalk but I have vague memories of that I around 2004-2005 read that IA was planning to have both a MIDI and digital soundtrack which is why I theorized about it being done in MIDI first before they decided to only go digital. Of course I could remember it all wrong considering it's so many years ago and I was still a flamboyant teen who worked so very hard to hide my nerdy alter ego LOL.

EDIT: BTW, since our discussions concern IA... Do you think you will be working on Kingdom of Sorrow or are you too busy with other projects?

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun May 06, 2012 5:16 am

At this point, no. I'm not involved with KOS. I've got a lot of other projects on my plate at the moment, Mage's Initiation being one. I just don't have time for projects like these anymore (free ones).

StefPhoenix
Peasant Status

#8 Post by StefPhoenix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:52 pm

I could send you the MIDI files. I myself ripped them years ago from an old version of KQ1VGA. Found them last year on an old hard drive I had saved some stuff on. And I was surprised that most of the MIDI files contained information such as cue names so I believe I must have had some kind of program that actually ripped the actual files rather than just capturing the MIDI signals. The file names of the MIDI's were named after the game file they were ripped from. The game file must have been named KQVGA.exe or something like that since all the MIDI files I found on my old disk were named kqvga_001.mid, kqvga_002.mid and etc.

There are only 13 files which don't contain such information and which I haven't been able to identify since I haven't played the game for years. They're mostly variations on other themes and arrangements. All the other MIDIs I've renamed after the title information stored inside.