QFG I VGA Pointlist

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

trystero
Peasant Status

QFG I VGA Pointlist

#1 Post by trystero » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:00 pm

When I was younger and had played QFG I VGA, I had finished with 500 points (I remember having over 500 once as a fighter, but that may be just a blurred memory).  But now I can't achieve 500 points for the life of me as the fighter and the MU - the most that I can attain is 499.  I've dutifully followed the point-list on Cyric's FAQ (http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/ ... ry_vga.txt)
and still can't get the job done.  Anyone experience a similar problem or know where I can find that 'missing' point?  (Btw, it's not conversational, as I've spoken to everybody, and it's not visiting Spiegelsee.) I'm playing from the Anthology CD and did install the SCI patches - could they have messed with the point list?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Welcome answer

#2 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:11 am

Salutations and welcome to the forums, trystero.  I'm Brainiac, aka the Game Guru and resident source for all things pointlisty (mostly because I'm such an uptight perfectionist, I have to get every last little point)! :D

As to your question, there are no direct changes to the point scores in any version of QFG1/HQ1 in any version of the Collection or Anthology (unlike Space Quest 4....grrrr).  CyricZ's point list is completely accurate, same as the one over at A Hero's Quest for Glory.  Considering you say you have the problem as a Fighter and a Magic User, it's certain that the missing point is an action endemic to all characters (as a Magic User has no unique single point actions).  Not counting conversations or essential actions you must have performed to be this close to 500, I'd say you should:

Check that you ate/slept at the inn
Give money to Sam the beggar (in addition to talking to him)
Make sure you signed the Adventurer's Log
Sell Magic Mushrooms/Flowers to the Healer (once more to be sure)

If those don't work, try 1-point actions particular to the Fighter and make sure you have not commited one of the point reduction actions (killed the fox, got drunk and tossed, ate the acorn).  If all else fails, exploit the Detect Magic point glitch for non-Magic Users (in the VGA version, you can get points for learning that spell no matter your class); of course, your Fighter will need to have the Magic ability...

Feel free to contact me if you still can't find your missing point (or for any of the QFG games, for that matter).

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#3 Post by Ghost_Rider » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:45 am

You can eat the Magic Acorn?  Wow... I never knew that.  I've done many silly things, just never tried that.

With the Fighter I've managed to get 505 points.   :D

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:49 am

Ghost_Rider wrote:With the Fighter I've managed to get 505 points.   :D
Ah, multiclassing.  Such fun... :D

...but don't make trystero feel bad, rubbing in your over-500 score. ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:43 am

just to make fun of my own name sake I never beat that one   :( My game is pretty glitchy and Dosbox annoys me severely

trystero
Peasant Status

#6 Post by trystero » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:05 am

Ghost_Rider wrote:You can eat the Magic Acorn?  Wow... I never knew that.  I've done many silly things, just never tried that.

With the Fighter I've managed to get 505 points.   :D
Ya, so I wasn't imagining things about going over 500 pts when I was a kid...

Braniac, thanks for your comprehensive replies and the warm welcome.  The thing is that I've completed each of the actions on Cyric's list and, when in doubt, I've double-checked when logical (like visiting SPiegelsee, there's no point in double-checking the flowers, for example, because you can't finish the game without selling them).  

I'm not interested in achieving 500 for 500's sake (so I'm not gonna cheat :) ...am just wondering what I could possibly be missing.

trystero
Peasant Status

#7 Post by trystero » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:15 am

Well, I 'solved' the problem.  My program for some reason isn't giving me a point for selling the mushrooms to the healer - a bug that I never knew had existed.  I'm wondering if this indicates something wrong with the SCI patches that I had installed...or, supposing that no one else has had this problem, something peculiar to my copy?  

So it goes.  Thanks for the help.

Heimdall
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Heimdall » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Funnily enough, I've been having this problem too, I'm stuck at 499 points, didn't think to check whether I got the point when I sold the healer mushrooms.  Bloody annoying.  I'm also using the Anthology version of QfG VGA, but I haven't installed either of the patches and I'm still having the problem.  Also playing it with Dosbox...

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#9 Post by Klytos » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:59 pm

Strange problem. You should be able to finish the game with a max 506 points as the fighter.

Something worth trying I always forget is to kill one of every type of animal.

trystero
Peasant Status

#10 Post by trystero » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:35 pm

Heimdall wrote:Funnily enough, I've been having this problem too, I'm stuck at 499 points, didn't think to check whether I got the point when I sold the healer mushrooms.  Bloody annoying.  I'm also using the Anthology version of QfG VGA, but I haven't installed either of the patches and I'm still having the problem.  Also playing it with Dosbox...
Guess your experience rules out the SCI patches as the culprit, so it might be a problem with the Anthology then.  DOSbox probably isn't relevant, as I'm not emulating the game and am playing it straight from XP (patched, of course).  I'll see what I can do about getting ahold of a diskette version and testing that out on my PC.

Heimdall
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Heimdall » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Klytos:  Is it possible for a magicless fighter to get those points?

Everyone else:  Done it!  The problem is that you don't get the point for giving the magic mushrooms, which seems to be a timer glitch.  If you use dosbox and slow it down to about 2500 cycles, it then registers the giving of magic mushrooms and gives you the point for it, taking my pre-Baba Yaga confrontation score to 425.  Another problem solved by P.I. Heimdall Blackcloak  :smokin

trystero
Peasant Status

#12 Post by trystero » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:44 pm

Heimdall wrote:Klytos:  Is it possible for a magicless fighter to get those points?

Everyone else:  Done it!  The problem is that you don't get the point for giving the magic mushrooms, which seems to be a timer glitch.  If you use dosbox and slow it down to about 2500 cycles, it then registers the giving of magic mushrooms and gives you the point for it, taking my pre-Baba Yaga confrontation score to 425.  Another problem solved by P.I. Heimdall Blackcloak  :smokin
Hey, you're the man.  :)  Maybe you should contact Belzorash about that.

Klytos

#13 Post by Klytos » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:30 am

Heimdall wrote:Klytos:  Is it possible for a magicless fighter to get those points?
As far as I remember I only ever played without magic. I could replay the game and check though! :)

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

Re: Points

#14 Post by Ghost_Rider » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:51 am

The one thing I kept forgetting to do was read the adventurer's log book.  [spoiler]You get points for signing it, but also get points for reading through it.[/spoiler]

Not sure where the extra 5 points come from, but as Brainiac mentioned it must be from multiclassing.  Things such as beating Erasmus' magic maze with the Fighter are only possible by giving your Fighter magic points when you start up.  It's been a while since I've played, so not sure if obtaining other spells gives you points too.  Guess it depends on how much beating the magic maze gives you.  If it's 5 points, that's how I made it to 505.

Klytos

#15 Post by Klytos » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:02 am

Here's a rare sierra cheat code I once found. Thought it might be of interest.

[spoiler]When creating a hero, add 5 points to a 0 point skill then add 1 point. Now keep removing 5 points causing the useless skill's number to become negitive. You can use all the points to max out (and more) all your stats.[/spoiler]

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Point

#16 Post by Brainiac » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:30 am

Huh.  I never knew about that particular Anthology glitch, Heimdall; I guess it was corrected in the Collection (my) version.  Anyways, trystero is right; you should forward your findings to Belzorash and see if he wants to update the patch.

Klytos, you may have done it without Magic skills, but then you most likely had Thief skills instead.  Multiclassing is the most common way to break 500 points (or becoming a Paladin, of course :D ).  And exactly which QfG1 version is that little cheat for?

Klytos

#17 Post by Klytos » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:21 pm

I donno, the VGA version. Works a treat too! Easy way to win a game. CHEAT!!!!  :lol

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#18 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:18 am

Here's a rare sierra cheat code I once found. Thought it might be of interest
Nothing here that Game Wizard can't do! :)

Till next time stay cool :cool:

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Re:

#19 Post by Markus Ramikin » Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Heimdall wrote:Everyone else:  Done it!  The problem is that you don't get the point for giving the magic mushrooms, which seems to be a timer glitch.  If you use dosbox and slow it down to about 2500 cycles, it then registers the giving of magic mushrooms and gives you the point for it, taking my pre-Baba Yaga confrontation score to 425.  Another problem solved by P.I. Heimdall Blackcloak  :smokin
I just had this problem for the first time ever despite having played this game so many times it's not funny. Fortunately, googling after a solution brought me here.

Thank you very much.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: QFG I VGA Pointlist

#20 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun May 13, 2012 1:22 am

Holy Resurection Batman! Neat to notice that 16 year old me didn't like dosbox.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Re: QFG I VGA Pointlist

#21 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun May 13, 2012 6:39 am

If it's the only source of this esotheric and priceless lore on the Internet, it deserves a resurrection ;)