Quest for Glory 2 speed bug

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Chris724
Peasant Status

Quest for Glory 2 speed bug

#1 Post by Chris724 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 am

For some reason, the speed in QFG2 randomly goes from fast to slow. The speed slider will show no difference in gameplay, and combat is sluggishly slow. This has only happened recently, I played the game months ago on the same computer and this did not happen. Any help would be appreciated.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Re: Quest for Glory 2 speed bug

#2 Post by Markus Ramikin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 am

Chris724
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Chris724 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:53 am

Bumping this, because it's happening to me again on Windows 8. I followed the advice of another forum and made a batch file to have it run on one core, but when the bug is working all that does is make it slightly less slow then if I started it from the launcher. I don't know if you guys have a permanent fix yet, but any help would be nice.

BigB0SS
Peasant Status

#4 Post by BigB0SS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:54 pm

I think I figured out what the problem is.

I was playing QFG2 VGA on newer desktop (Windows 7 x64 OS). This computer has an HD graphics card installed in PCI slot. The game slowed down over several play sessions. Regardless of putting the speed at full setting.

So I pulled out my old desktop (Windows XP x32 OS). This computer has an old geforce 6200 graphics card installed in PCI slot. The game also slowed down over several play sessions. Regardless of putting the speed at full setting.

However, I tried disabling the geforce 6200 graphics card and enabled the integrated graphics (the graphics that are built into the motherboard). That seems to have solved the speed problem. Played many sessions since then, and no speed issues.

So, for whatever reason, the speed issue seems to be related to graphics cards (perhaps how the gpu on the graphics card interacts with the cpu on the motherboard).