Hero 6 Demo Playthrough Videos

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

Hero 6 Demo Playthrough Videos

#1 Post by Blake00 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:26 am

Hey guys,

It’s taken a few weeks and some help from Deltamatrix over at QFMG but I've finally finished my Hero 6 videos showing quick playthroughs of the big 2006 MAD engine demo and the smaller but more polished 2009 AGS demo. If any of you out there have been following the project over the last decade wanted to see how much was done and see all the brilliant work that went into the game over the years (from so many including some of our awesome AGDers here) now you can! It is my hope that by showing the world this game on youtube it will never be forgotten and maybe more fans will be inspired to help bring the project back from the dead or create great QFG style projects of their own.

I've posted new screenshots, download links and embedded the videos in the Hero 6 page at my website but I’ll post the vids here too to make it easier. :)

2006 MAD Engine Alpha Demo (in 2 Parts)
This demo boasts a very large game world to explore with a town and 2 villages containing many npcs to talk to (with a QFG4 full screen protrait style). There are many monsters to fight and even some jobs to do for the npcs.

2009 AGS Engine Alpha Demo (in 3 Parts)
This demo reflects the downsizing of the project with a smaller game world however it is much more polished and contains story and multiple quests to complete therefore making it much longer to play! In a way it almost feels like a sequel to the 2006 demo as places you could visit before are now dead, overgrown and haunted. The battles are better as well with new enemies and gang fights.

Last edited by Blake00 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

quest
Peasant Status

Re: Hero 6 Demo Playthrough Videos

#2 Post by quest » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:58 am

This game has so much potential and looks so awesome. It breaks my heart as a fan to see it abandoned like this especially at this stage. Hopefully now that the source code has been released, a group like Himalaya or IQ will complete the game and release it as maybe a commercial product. I can see no harm in that. Plus I don't think it would take that long to complete for people who have the will and experience necessary.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by rugged » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:02 am

Trying to finish off someones half completed project is a MUCH bigger job then you are suggesting. I think both the teams you have mentioned above would rather spend time creating new projects then trying to resurrect an old half done one. Though agreed it is a shame to see so much work go down the drain

quest
Peasant Status

#4 Post by quest » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:16 am

Can't really agree with you pal. I don't know anything about AGS, but if it is anything like the other programing languages, I must tell you that it is a lot easier to complete or modify an existing program (however extreme the modifications) rather than creating a new one from the scratch. Sure it'll take some time at the start to understand the code but it'll all be downhill from there on. Even assuming the source code to be useless in its entirety, you can't deny the fact that so many of the resources needed in the game have already been created. Making them takes time.
But like you said, I don't think any of these two groups would be willing to take on this project. They are too "established" to try to complete somebody else's game. I just used them as examples. Maybe a new lesser known bunch?

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by rugged » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 am

From my understanding a lot of the time consideration would depend on how tidy the scripting was. Often fan games have sloppy scripting and as such it can take a lot of time to decipher. I was not suggesting that would be slower then making something new just that it would still be a big project, given the amount of fan games that start and are never finished it would take a very dedicated group who would want to spend thousands of hours working on a project that they never dreamed up.
I think incorporating some of the assets into an original project may appeal to some teams, but it would limit the style to needing to be the same. I would say is unlikely to find a team to do this, but who knows a lot of the assets for Cognition were orignally created for another title so it certainly does happen

gamecreator
Knight Status

#6 Post by gamecreator » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm

We're all really just theorizing but it does depend on how organized and clear the original coders were. If you can learn and use their method, continuing their work makes sense. Otherwise it's best to work from scratch and simply use their art/music/sounds (which will still save a TON of time).

Chief
Knight Status

#7 Post by Chief » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Wow thank you for sharing. this game looks like it could have been quite good.. i hope something becomes of it at some point! I would have bought it if it was released anyway..
Ah well, let's hope someone picks it up and meanwhile we can look forward to Mage's Initiation and others...

Chief
Knight Status

#8 Post by Chief » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Also I was wondering, how long was this project worked on and what do you think it would take to finish it?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:41 am

Hero6 was founded in 1999, I believe.

Bt

quest
Peasant Status

#10 Post by quest » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:12 am

Yeah, Hero6 was the granddaddy of all fan-ventures.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Blake00 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 am

thought it might interest some of the old fans to know that another fellow has announced over at QFMG that they've got the Hero 6 source files and are working on the project again. He posted a video showing some of the fixes he's put in so far and has requested help if possible. Yes its a slim hope I know but its always nice to hear someone is working on the game still.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Blake00 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:13 am

The new Hero 6 team have created a new Hero 6 website, forum, and have gathered all the original Hero 6 source files and old demos and posted a lot of it for fans to enjoy (eg I finally have the old Forest Demo from years ago thanks to them).

There's not many people in their forum yet to help bug test the latest Hero6 builds as they haven't advertised the forum's existence. So if you're like me and you nostalgically remember posting in the old Hero6 forums and helping the old team out then sign up and show your support for the new team! :)

Hero6 Website
http://www.hero6.org/

Hero 6 Forum
http://hero6.org/forum/index.php

Latest Demo
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hero6/f ... Prototype/