Cracked.com: 6 pieces of Fan Art that are better....

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

Cracked.com: 6 pieces of Fan Art that are better....

#1 Post by Lady Pyro » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Hey guys, I checked around the forum and didn't see anywhere else that posted this, but the King's Quest remakes got a shout out on cracked.com here

I just figured you guys would like to know, since they said some pretty nice things :)

gamecreator
Knight Status

Re: Cracked.com: 6 pieces of Fan Art that are better....

#2 Post by gamecreator » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:48 pm

That is pretty complimentary.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:00 pm

I saw this a few weeks back and posted it up on Twitter. Pretty cool to weigh in at number #2. Especially when number #1 is something as hilarious of "Garfield Minus Garfield".

Someone should do "King's Quest 5 without Graham" so that the entire adventure is just Cedric talking to himself. >D

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#4 Post by Paladinlover » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:51 pm

I saw this a while back and I can't help but have a huge smile on my face. I really need to get to learning the skills it takes to make a game. But I'm so torn by procrastination and other things that I am often lost as to where to start.
Someone should do "King's Quest 5 without Graham" so that the entire adventure is just Cedric talking to himself. >D
Oh my god that would be hilarious. But how would it work? There are plenty of times where Cedric doesn't follow Graham anywhere, like the town or inside shops, the desert, or the witch's swamp. If it was in a webcomic 'screenshot' style it could be done, but strictly ingame it would kinda be hard.

Till next time stay cool 8))

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 pm

That would actually be playably possible (with the floppy version, anyway). You could just take the sprites for Graham out of the resource files, make them all transparent, and change Graham's text dialogue to blanks. Boom. KQ5 without Graham.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#6 Post by Paladinlover » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:45 pm

That would actually be playably possible (with the floppy version, anyway). You could just take the sprites for Graham out of the resource files, make them all transparent, and change Graham's text dialogue to blanks. Boom. KQ5 without Graham.
And how can you edit them? Please tell me, I've been trying to find ways to edit sprites of SCI1 games for a long, long time.

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:28 am

You need a couple things. One of the following: SCI Decoder VGA, SCI Studio VGA, or SCI Resource Viewer to extract the proper Graham sprites. Then you need either SCI Graphic Studio, SCI Studio VGA, or SCI View256 Editor to actually edit them. The TEXT resources you can just extract and edit with SCI Studio, I believe. I don't think the format has changed at all between SCI versions, I could be wrong. Either way, you can edit the TEXT resources with a text editor no problem. Course, you have to know which lines are Graham's. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

I once worked on a MOD for SQ1VGA called SQ1VGA Retro which altered sprites to appear like their EGA counterparts. For instance, Roger's gray-sleeved space suit in the beginning, and his gray and red "Rebel-themed" flight suit from the AGI version. I had a lot planned and a lot done, unfortunately I did not finish. And I can't find the latest files I had made to finish it off with. Still, it was fun for a while.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#8 Post by Paladinlover » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:01 pm

You need a couple things. One of the following: SCI Decoder VGA, SCI Studio VGA, or SCI Resource Viewer to extract the proper Graham sprites. Then you need either SCI Graphic Studio, SCI Studio VGA, or SCI View256 Editor to actually edit them. The TEXT resources you can just extract and edit with SCI Studio, I believe. I don't think the format has changed at all between SCI versions, I could be wrong. Either way, you can edit the TEXT resources with a text editor no problem. Course, you have to know which lines are Graham's. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
I've managed to extract them and open them with SCI graphic studio, but after I edit them, how do I put them back in the game? I know it seems silly, but I've never done this sort of thing before.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. :)

MusicallyInspired

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:29 pm

I guess you've already figured it out, but for others, you don't actually NEED to get them back in the game. All you need to do is drop them in the game folder and the interpreter will override the packed resources with the ones in the game directory instead. This made patching their games super easy for Sierra.