More news from the Cole's on possible QFG or similar Kickstr

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

More news from the Cole's on possible QFG or similar Kickstr

#1 Post by Blake00 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Just checked in over at the Quest for More Glory forums and discovered the bad news that once again mentioning of QFG4.5 will get you banned from the site :/ but also some good news on what the Cole's are up to at the moment. :)

Some of you may have seen this thread posted a month ago with an email reply from Corey Cole about a possible QFG Kickstarter. Well after I posted this news over at QFMG a poster there who also moderates over at the Cole's website sent the Corey Cole an email on my behalf asking for further clarification. He posted the response at QFMG here, however for the lazy here it is lol:

Corey Cole -
We aren’t quite sure what we’ll be doing for a project. It’s mostly up to me to get started. Things we’ve talked about include:

1. A Rogue-like dungeon game, but with a little more fixed puzzles and story than a pure Rogue implementation – Rogue is purely random.

2. A Pathfinder adventure, possibly a reworking of my out of print Tower of Indomitable Circumstance D&D module.

3. Lori and Mishell Baker’s juvenile fantasy novel. We would raise money on Kickstarter, they would do a final revision of it, then self-publish it mostly for people who contribute on the Kickstarter.

4. A Pathfinder sourcebook for the World of Gloriana (the Quest for Glory world).

5. A remake of Quest for Glory 1 if we can get a license.

6. A new RPG/adventure which might or might not use a QG license. (That would be a marketing question – Would be raise enough more by calling it Quest for Glory to justify the license cost?)

7. The School for Heroes 3.0 as a kickstarted project. We would have to decide if it should have some for-pay features which we could give away as premiums to supporters.

I plan to start with #1 with no funding, then give it away as a teaser for the Kickstarter campaign for #5, 6, or 7. It’s as much to get me back into the rhythm of doing a project as it is for marketing. The other possibility, of course, is to sell the dungeon game as a finished product.

I was about to get started on this a month ago when all Hell broke loose...

With this plus the ‘Quest for Infamy’ kickstarter and now rumours over at the AGS forums that the other big QFG fan project ‘Heroine’s Quest’ is nearing completion it means exciting times are ahead for us QFG fans. :)

gamecreator
Knight Status

Re: More news from the Cole's on possible QFG or similar Kic

#2 Post by gamecreator » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:05 pm

While I'm not too excited about most of those options I'm glad they have these choices to play with. Thanks for sharing!

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by rugged » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:42 am

Give me a heros quest remake anyday. That would be awesome, especially if it was a +.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Blake00 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:00 am

More news:
Wow.. The Two Guys From Andromeda facebook page just posted to QFG fans confiming once more about the Coles doing a Kickstarter! :)

https://www.facebook.com/guysfromandrom ... 3864924269

I for one think a remake is a great idea. Much like with the new Al Lowe Leisure Suit Larry kickstarter remakes it allows the Coles to make their original games not just look nicer but also add more content and fix a lot of bugs. You can bet with every one of the 5 games in the series that they had more ideas that didn’t make it into the game due to time constraints. This normally happens with every game out there, but since QFG was not in the age of heavy patching and DLC it was not possible to stick those extra things in later. Now it is.. just imagine what they could do with each QFG game.. :) and just like with Al Lowe’s plan if they make enough money of the remakes then along comes a sequel!

Thepal
Knight Status

#5 Post by Thepal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:21 pm

I dunno... everything I've heard from the Coles in the past decade has made it sound like they wouldn't want to make a game like QfG.

Chief
Knight Status

#6 Post by Chief » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:16 am

thanks! well I hope they make a QFG style game with an original world.. but that's just me. i do plan to support them though!

gamecreator
Knight Status

#7 Post by gamecreator » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:01 pm

I'd vote for another hero in the QfG world, with a cameo or two.

Edit: Gets my mind going. Would be cool if the new hero would meet the old one. And I mean old one. Maybe meet an old guy at some point, on the road or in a tavern or something, and only later find out that he was the hero from the other lands. And he's there for a reason but he may be too old to fight. Or has a wound that prevents him from doing so. Ha, gotta stop thinking about it...

Thepal
Knight Status

#8 Post by Thepal » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Sounds almost like you're describing a new FACS Famous Adventurer... I would be happy for the hero to have retired to that position.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Blake00 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:38 am

gamecreator wrote:I'd vote for another hero in the QfG world, with a cameo or two.

Edit: Gets my mind going. Would be cool if the new hero would meet the old one. And I mean old one. Maybe meet an old guy at some point, on the road or in a tavern or something, and only later find out that he was the hero from the other lands. And he's there for a reason but he may be too old to fight. Or has a wound that prevents him from doing so. Ha, gotta stop thinking about it...
Thats actually a really good idea! I'd love remakes and/or a sequel, but alternatively a new hero in the same world would be really good too, especially if there's crossovers and cameos from the QFG series. :)

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Blake00 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:26 am

More news guys. Now Lori Cole has emailed Elsa at QFMG.. had a nerdgasm when I saw my name/thread mentioned lol!

Looks like they're looking at doing something new now instead of a remake.

http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums ... topic=3100

gamecreator
Knight Status

#11 Post by gamecreator » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for the news. I'm very curious what they come up with. I wonder now if it will even be an RPG/adventure game.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Blake00 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 am

Here we go guys Lori Cole has announced their project over at QFMG!

Looks like they're taking their web based school of heroes and combining it with QFG to make a proper online RPG game. "the School For Heroes" kickstarter will launch in October.

http://www.questformoreglory.com/forums ... st&p=47385

Chief
Knight Status

#13 Post by Chief » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 pm

YESSSSSS!!! Very excited to see what happens with this!!!

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Blake00 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:04 am

Woooah.. becuase I backed the Space Venture from the Two Guys from Andromeda I've just received some awesome news:

http://guysfromandromeda.com/podcast-re ... pope-live/
Project Update #54: The Podcast returns! Lori and Corey Cole are up to join Chris Pope LIVE!
Posted by Two Guys From Andromeda Like

Announcements involving the podcast right here atcha!

Previous shows including those from Justin.tv have been back dated and added to the feed. With the exception of the Ellen Mclain episode as we are still fixing some audio issues. Visit http://podcasts.guysfromandromeda.com or iTunes to check those out now!
We’re still planning to put together higher quality copies of the video feeds for all of our Justin.TV episodes. Visit http://commentaries.guysfromandromeda.com to check that out.
The podcasts are planned to be weekly, but we’ll also be trying to work around everyone’s schedule.

And finally..

Lori Cole and Corey Cole, the master minds behind the Quest For Glory series are coming on to talk with Chris Pope live within the next few days! Lori and Corey will be talking about their history with Sierra along with a little info on their upcoming Kickstarter plans! Watch the Guys From Andromeda Twitter feed for the exact date and time announcement. This post will also get updated once that is determined. The show is planned for early next week!

Chief
Knight Status

#15 Post by Chief » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 am

The podcast was great, very enlightening! you can listen here:

http://guysfromandromeda.com/category/podcasts

I'm very excited about this project, i think they will put a lot into this one!!

Chief
Knight Status

#16 Post by Chief » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:55 pm

It looks like they now have a group on the facebooks for those so inclined

https://www.facebook.com/TheSchoolForHeroes

Chief
Knight Status

#17 Post by Chief » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:02 am

New interview!! Can't wait for this!!

http://mashable.com/2012/09/17/hero-u/? ... 0850079077

Chief
Knight Status

#18 Post by Chief » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:29 am

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/187 ... redemption

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#19 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 am

This is great news, but I sure hope the art in the game looks better than it does in that demo video. Though some of the backgrounds look beautifully detailed, the art in the navigation scenes is so blah and reminds me of what you see in flash games or what we saw in the Megatech title Cobra Mission, which came out about 20 years ago. I would think that they could aim a little higher than that, couldn't they? Maybe this type of navigation or gameplay makes it more difficult to have detailed art everywhere, but can't it at least look better than one of the old Gameboy Final Fantasy Legend games. I prefer the timeless look of hand-painted art, and I really don't like the extremely dated-looking top down perspective. Oh, well... I guess cost was a big issue there. And why do the static character portraits look like they are straight out of a Legend Entertainment title from 1989? Could simply be the style they're going for, but I think they look flat, dull and cheap. Other than that, the game sounds amazing. Hopefully it turns out great.

Chief
Knight Status

#20 Post by Chief » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:31 pm

They already talk about how the art is Not the final art, it's just placeholders for now since they're just starting out.
i think they were already scrambling at the last minute to get it all together for the KS launch.

We should see more of what it is like in subsequent updates. I also hope it is better and am confident that it will be!

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#21 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 am

Ok, that's good to know.

I thought it was funny how the Kickstarter demo video started off in grand fashion, with dramatic music, hyping the game before finally revealing... something that looked like an 8-bit NES game from the 1980's. Even the music seemed to dim to a whimper at the same time the top-down art was being shown in the video.

I wonder if they might have been better off not showing that top-down art at this point, if it really is far from what the final version will be like.

Maybe we have just been spoiled with the beautiful, handpainted backgrounds throughout the previous Quest for Glory games.

Nevertheless, I am hoping for the best.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#22 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:46 am

From the official Hero-U Website:
The Trouble With Adventures
Now we have nothing against adventure games, but it’s really hard to make one these days because of that insidious creature, the Internet.

Back in the 80’s and 90’s, adventure game players seemed to thrive on frustration. If they couldn’t solve a puzzle, they would keep trying – sometimes for weeks or months. Maybe they’d ask a friend for help, but most of them were perfectly content to spend months working through the puzzles in one game.

Now things are different. People have no patience because they don’t need any. All of the answers are a few clicks away on the Internet. Unfortunately, getting a hint is a lot like eating a salted peanut – It’s impossible to stop at one.

Role-playing games have a big advantage there. Most RPG “puzzles” rely on building up your character’s abilities and using them well. You can go to a hint site to find out how to play better, but winning the game is still up to you to play. The game designer has a lot more power to control the length and difficulty of an RPG than an adventure game.

The popular first-person shooter genre is also immune to Internet hints, but Lori and I find those games boring. They rarely make you think, and they rely on fast hand-eye coordination to win. That’s fine; it’s a valid form of game play. We just don’t think it should be the only form.
Seems counterproductive for the Coles to go out of their way to criticize the adventure game genre, given that a large portion of their fan base is probably also very interested in adventure games. Starting off a commentary about adventure games with, "now we have nothing against adventure games" hardly makes them sound like fans, which is too bad, considering where their Hero-U is being promoted online. I see people promoting their new game on several adventure game forums like this one.

It's disappointing to see them dredge up and repeat the old cliche that adventure gamers in the 80's and 90's were somehow more "patient" than people today. It's utter baloney. Are they suggesting that gamers today won't enjoy playing adventure games because these gamers are supposedly unable to resist the temptation to cheat? Why don't the Coles tell that to the large number of people who continue to play adventure games and who show great interest in games like Double Fine Adventure, Leisure Suit Larry, SpaceVenture, Monkey Island, etc. During the Sierra Online days, there was still Prodigy, Compuserve, AOL, etc.; if people wanted to look up hints, they did. There were hintbooks and also walkthroughs in some print magazines. If the internet makes it THAT difficult and not worth it to create new adventure games today, then I guess the Coles are suggesting that current adventure game developers are wasting their time. I say the Coles are wrong.

No, adventure games might not be everyone's cup of tea, but there are MANY people today who enjoy the linear, plot-driven puzzle gameplay of classic style adventures. I thought that was already a pretty well-established fact, especially given the recent funding successes of several adventure game projects on Kickstarter.

It almost seems like the Coles were anticipating criticism from adventure game fans who might not like that their new Hero-U game appears too much like an RPG "dungeon crawl" (to use their words) and less like the popular Quest for Glory series, for which they are famous.

As someone who prefers the adventure game emphasis on story, puzzles and characters, and who generally doesn't like games with gameplay that is mostly monotonous combat, hearing something described as a "dungeon crawl" doesn't exactly make me want to jump for joy.

rogerxy
Peasant Status

#23 Post by rogerxy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Only 2 days left now and $65k left to the goal, we need all the help we can get now! Please consider pledging to help the Coles make a comeback in the adventure gaming business, I bet there are more than me here who would really like to see that become a reality.
If you already have pledged, you can always raise your pledge :) (and/or spread the word about this Kickstarter)

Thank you!

Kickstarter: http://kck.st/WwVlp7

New redesigned homepage: http://www.hero-u.net/

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by Blake00 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:06 am

Well there's 12hours left on the Hero-U Kickstarter and they've aaaaalmost got there.. I keep refreshing every hour.. this is gonna be a close finish lol!

I've been broke lately plus Im not sure if I'm gonna like Hero-U but I threw in a nice $90 for 3 reasons:

1- My way of saying a big thankyou and showing loyalty to the Coles for the 5 QFG games that I’ve love so dearly since my childhood. To me the money is really a payment to the Coles, not really HeroU.

2- The Coles have hinted that if Hero-U is successful then there's a good chance of more QFG games in the future. If it’s not then we can probably forget about any more QFG. So I consider the money a future investment for QFG!

3- Ya never know, maybe HeroU will be really good. It is being made by the Coles after all!

Hope they get there!!!!!

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#25 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 pm

You all probably already know, but they did it!