Text Speed Issue

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

Text Speed Issue

#1 Post by Asrai » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi guys,

The Coles' Kickstarter project has me feeling all nostalgic, so I thought I'd play through the series yet again. Which of course includes the QFG2 Remake.

Occasionally, and for no apparent reason, the text windows will begin flashing by, far too quickly to read. Sometimes leaving the screen will fix it, but that doesn't seem to help if I'm walking around the alleys. Saving and quitting the game also works. I just played through Al Emmo recently and had the same issue, though it occurred less often. Since it happened in both games, I'm thinking it must have something to do with my system and AGS not getting along, but I can't seem to find settings that keep the game working and stop this from happening. Any ideas?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Text Speed Issue

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:48 am

That sounds strange... never heard of anything like that happening before in AGS games. Are you running Windows 7 and using the latest video card drivers for your hardware? Does it make any difference if you run winsetup.exe and switch between DirectDraw5 and Direct3D9 video settings?

You might also try right-clicking on the game exe (not the launcher one, but the game one) and selecting to run the game in compatibility mode with an older version of Windows.

I would also check on the AGS technical forum to see if anyone there is aware of this issue:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/fo ... ?board=2.0

Have you tried playing any recent AGS games like Gemini Rue or Resonance (or any of the other free ones on the AGS website) that were compiled with newer versions of the engine. If so, does the same issue occur in those?

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

Re: Text Speed Issue

#3 Post by Asrai » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm using a very basic Vista system right now.

In QFG2 I changed the Graphics Driver to Direct 3D 9, and the issue hasn't happened since (although I can't be certain that it won't.) In Al Emmo, that was the only setting that I could use to get the game to work and it did happen occasionally. If I do keep getting this problem, I'll definitely take it to the AGS forums.

You know, somehow, it never occurred to me that there could be an entire website out there (aside from this one) full of adventure games to download and play... There goes the last of my free time! ;)

Thanks!