Can't get KQI, II, or III to Play on new Mac

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

mattbond
Peasant Status

Can't get KQI, II, or III to Play on new Mac

#1 Post by mattbond » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 am

So I'm a newbie, bear with me. But I just got a brand new macbook pro this past fall (15" - 4 gb memory, i5 core processor, etc) and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the games to run (King's Quest I, II, or III). Every time I try to run them the icon shows up at the bottom and the menu bar on top says the game, but the actual game does not load. After about 15-20 seconds, the program simply shuts itself off. I downloaded XQuartz to ensure my x11 was up to date.

I really really want to play these games, I grew up playing them and LOVE them but can't get them to run. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Can't get KQI, II, or III to Play on new Mac

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:36 am

Did you follow the installation instructions?
To Install: After mounting the .DMG file. Drag The King's Quest III Redux.app to your Application Folder (or wherever you wish to install the game). Eject the disc image and click to play.
Also, you need to have a video card, as well as an intel CPU. PPC isn't supported.

mattbond
Peasant Status

#3 Post by mattbond » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:31 pm

I opened up the .dmg and put the game in a Game folder inside Applications, simple.

Here are the specs for my computer:

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5
15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display (1440 x 900 pixel)
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
320GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory

It's still pretty much a brand new machine, it definitely should have enough "guts" to run it. Any other ideas?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Here's what I posted in another thread:
I'm not too knowledgeable about Macs, but the forum at this site might be able to help. This is the website for the CXZ wrapper under which the KQ3 Redux port was made:

http://portingteam.com/2010/02/cxz-updated/
Someone on the forum there should be able to assist. Let us know if (and how) you got it to work so we can make others aware in the future.

sirkinght
Peasant Status

#5 Post by sirkinght » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:27 pm

I have a macbook pro 1 gen prior and it works fine for me.
do you have an antivirus application running?

I always get prompted if I want to run an application that was downloaded from the internet. Did you get asked that question? Did you say yes? You might delete the whole thing and download again and run it. Have you rebooted since you installed? Sometimes I just do that and things work again.

even better yet, you could walk into a MAC store and just ask the guys there if someone could help you trouble shoot a problem with the computer. Dont tell them that you are trying to play a game, just tell them that you are not sure if you can run software downloaded from the internet. And let them try to install the KQ3 dmg as a test.

Did you un-mount (eject) the DMG and then open up the applications folder (not taskbar) and click on the game from there?

-Sir Knight

mattbond
Peasant Status

#6 Post by mattbond » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:23 am

Finally figured out the issue. Thanks to all for the prompt replies, you guys are way cool. The problem was that I must have somehow deleted X11 on my own when trying to clean up my machine (I like to try out new software occasionally - I must have thought this was something I put on the machine on my own).

Anyhoo, XQuartz is supposed to be the new updated X11 and guess what? These games do NOT run with XQuartz. I went back to my installation DVD that came with my mac and under optional install was X11. I reinstalled it and WALLA! Now the game runs beautifully. So lesson learned - X11 is the way to go - not the new XQuartz.

Thanks again for all who responded, and big thanks to AGDInteractive. It's guys like you that make this world a much better place. Thanks for the redux of these great classic games, and best of all, redoing it for free.

sassitude
Peasant Status

#7 Post by sassitude » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:23 pm

I am having the same problem - but I don't know if I still have my Installation software. Are there any other fixes to this problem???

I realllllllllllllllllllly wanna play and am not that technically savvy :cry ... thanks for any tips or support.

Sara

Lunacaela
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Lunacaela » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 am

Are the games compatible with OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion? I can't get games to install. I read that Mountain Lion doesn't have X11. I downloaded it but can't install it because it's says there is a "newer" version on my computer already. XQuartz I assume.

I haven't able to get the PC versions of the games to work using Wineskin Winery either. It looks like the game installs but then I get an error when I click play. The error doesn't make any sense to me, it's says "An exception 0xC000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x922A95E0 ; program pointer is -199, ACI version 3.20.1110, gtags (0,0)"

I really want to play but I don't know what else to try.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:46 am

Try the game download links for the game in this thread (you need to scroll down a bit to get to my post):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15422

Lunacaela
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Lunacaela » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks! Those versions of the games work for OS X 10.8.

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Raistlin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 am

I created new wrappers for all three King's Quests to make them compatible with Mountain Lion. Just waiting for permission to share links for them, anyone from AGD care to comment?

grhopkins
Peasant Status

#12 Post by grhopkins » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:30 pm

I can't get QFG II to play on my MacBook Pro either, running Mountain Lion (10.8.2). I tried installing XQuartz, but it still didn't work. I then tried reinstalling X11 from my install DVD, as one person suggested, but it appears that Apple has made it so that X11 won't work in Mountain Lion. I also tried installing the version 2.0 of the game for Lion, as someone else suggested, but that didn't work either. Every time I just got the icon appearing in my dock, the menu would appear, and nothing else would load. It looks like the game won't run under XQuartz, and Apple won't let you run old versions of X11 in Mountain Lion. Any suggestions or updates?

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Raistlin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:46 pm

grhopkins wrote:I can't get QFG II to play on my MacBook Pro either, running Mountain Lion (10.8.2). I tried installing XQuartz, but it still didn't work. I then tried reinstalling X11 from my install DVD, as one person suggested, but it appears that Apple has made it so that X11 won't work in Mountain Lion. I also tried installing the version 2.0 of the game for Lion, as someone else suggested, but that didn't work either. Every time I just got the icon appearing in my dock, the menu would appear, and nothing else would load. It looks like the game won't run under XQuartz, and Apple won't let you run old versions of X11 in Mountain Lion. Any suggestions or updates?
I posted another thread here with updated versions of the wrapper, you should get them.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15839

grhopkins
Peasant Status

#14 Post by grhopkins » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks! I just realized I posted about this in the KG, not the Quest for Glory forum. Your updates at that link are for KG only. Do you know if there is an update for Quest for Glory 2 for Mountain Lion? Thanks again for your help!