Re: Marriage: Would you rather...??

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

And.... 10 years later.

#126 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:54 am

I hope the moderators will forgive me for this bit of thread necromancy, but it's late at night - and it's ten years since this thread was created and written in. Perhaps people still come by the forums now, and will see this - peruse it, and see their old selves in here.

This was imported from the old boards, so it gets hard to read - but it's very interesting. A question is posed about marriage, relationships and many other important things we all discussed when we were young. One thing in here, though, that caught me was a line about yourself from 30 years later coming to talk to you.

Well, it's not 30 years... but it's ten. Amazing. Funny think about this thread is I was not in it, because during this period in 2004, I was in the hospital (in the middle of a couple month stay) recovering from a botched surgery from my first kidney transplant.

Boy - if I could have come in here and told me what would happen in the next 10 years... so much. At the time, I was single. Now, I'm married and have been with the same woman for 7 years. I'd tell Klytos that we did it! We remade a few Sierra games, and are now working on our own! Honestly, it's funny to have an archive like this. 10 years ago. Frozen in time. What different people we all were.

There was so much forum traffic then. Things were different. MySpace and Facebook were not so wide-spread; forums were our social media. We were young. The world went and got it self in a hurry in the last ten years, but the more things change, the more they stay the same. Some people may still come here. So, hey, here's a message from 10 years in the future: It's definitely an interesting place, and you might be so much more interesting now. Or not. I have a feeling time and fate are what you make of it, eh?

Hope you all are well.

Bt

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

Re:  Marriage: Would you rather...??

#127 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:52 pm

I was on here today after, in a fit of boredom at work, I happened to stumble across an article involving Israel on Wikipedia. Which then lead to a "Hey, whatever happened to Vildern?" When I saw Steve's post on here, I felt compelled to post on here for the first time in who knows how long.

10 years ago... wow. I had it all figured out then. I really did. Then life slapped me in the face and I realized I had no idea.

I'd love to go back to that Steffi and tell her that all her worst fears are going to come true - that he doesn't love her the way she loves him, that California is not what she expects it to be, and most of her friends will slowly drift away.

But I'd also tell her that it all works out for the better. That she will be incredibly grateful that the relationship never happened, because it becomes increasingly obvious how badly it would have ended. That the awful times she endured in California will serve as a litmus test for future struggles - that no matter how bad it is, it can't be as bad as CA. And that while the old friends will drift apart, the new friends she makes will fit in better with her life as it becomes than the old friends would have.

I'd also tell her that she will have to learn on her own to stay off the internet while drunk, and exactly why Irish car bombs are a very bad idea.

I didn't know that 10 years ago, I'd be living ten miles from my hometown, in a house that I own, and loving it. I also didn't know I'd be married to a fantastic guy that I didn't even know existed at that point. I might have realized that I'd be working a job that pays the bills and takes care of my needs, even if it isn't what I want to be doing for the rest of my life - or, as I'm starting to realize, for the rest of this year.

Mostly, though, I'd want to tell that Steffi that it will all work out. Maybe not the way she envisioned it at the time, and it will suck for awhile. But when it comes together, it will come together in an amazing way.

Back in 2004, ten years seemed like a long time. Now I wonder where it all went.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#128 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Wow. 10 years. This was after KQ1VGA AND KQ2VGA+ were out. I was in the community for 3 years already by this point and it STILL was ages ago!

I wouldn't want to send a message to myself. I think I was much happier not knowing what was coming, despite the good or bad things that have happened. This thread started about two months before I met the woman who is now my wife of almost 8 years and mother of my two children. I've been lucky to be a part of a lot of projects over the years. KQ3Redux (and eventually SQ2 Remake) opened up opportunities I never would have dreamed of at that age. I had no idea what I was in for. I was desperately seeking music opportunities and that drive may have been lessened (probably resulting in not attaining those opportunities) if I would have known what was coming. Though, maybe not. Who can say? I'm happy with the way I've gone through life since then, though, and where things eventually took me. Everything largely started here on these forums for me. This community is one of the most important I've ever been involved with and it's amazing so many of us as are here now are still around and chat with each other. Good times then, good times now. Thank you, Tierra EZBoards. Thank you very much. And I still miss those who have long since moved on.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#129 Post by Vildern » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:41 am

That was very heartwarming to read, MI. Happy for you.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#130 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:04 am

VILDERN!!!! Where have you been hiding yourself, man? Or have you not and just changed your name?

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#131 Post by Vildern » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:42 am

MI!! I guess I have been visiting the forums less and less as activities here have been winding down over the years (sadly). Still I like to pop in every now and then. :)

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#132 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Vildern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :D

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#133 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Hey Vildern, I have an email from you dated June 27, 2004. It had a Word Doc you wanted me to hold on for you.

You want that back yet? It's been 10 years. :)

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#134 Post by Vildern » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:42 pm

Steffi Evenstar wrote:Vildern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :D
Steffiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!! :) Long time, huh?
navynuke04 wrote:Hey Vildern, I have an email from you dated June 27, 2004. It had a Word Doc you wanted me to hold on for you.

You want that back yet? It's been 10 years. :)
What on earth could that be, I wonder? :) Regardless of its content, well done Navynuke for not forgetting about it for 10 years :rollin

I don't know which email address you have, so I'm just gonna pm you my current email address so you could send it there :)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#135 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:28 pm

Its been sent. :)

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#136 Post by Vildern » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:55 pm

navynuke04 wrote:Its been sent. :)
I replied to your email. Cannot believe you remembered about that file! :) Thank you very much.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#137 Post by Spikey » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Vildern, Steffi & Blackthorny all posting in one thread march 2014?
No really, thought I was reading threads from way back. :)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#138 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Hahah! I know - boy, I haven't been back in a few months! Glad to see people popped up here to respond.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Bt

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#139 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:10 am

It's nostalgia about a forum designed around a nostalgic bit of gaming.

Nostalg-ception!

http://inception.davepedu.com/

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#140 Post by Spikey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Before you know it, we'll all be in drunken threads troutslapping.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#141 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:19 pm

What a blast from the past, I'm afraid this thread was just a bit before my time originally but it was surreal to see all the names again. Also hello Spokey!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#142 Post by Spikey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:55 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:What a blast from the past, I'm afraid this thread was just a bit before my time originally but it was surreal to see all the names again. Also hello Spokey!
Oh no, not that horrible typo nick again ;) . You always were one of my favorite people around here, you know. Kindness is hard to come by these days.