Quest for Glory fan projects

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gamecreator
Knight Status

Re: Quest for Glory fan projects

#26 Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Love it. Thanks!!

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by Blake00 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:17 am

Hey everybody! 1.5 years on since my last big update to my Quest for Glory Page and amazingly I've found a whole bunch of new projects and materials so its time for another one! As always thank you to everyone that contacts me with new information! :)

New QFG related projects found:
- Betrayed Alliance - Full tribute page created! Brilliant new & finished QFG1 style SCI game.
- QFG6 Hero's Legend - New project recreating Silmaria in 3D using own engine.
- Heroism: The Art of De-Fence - Full tribute page created! Cool 3D QFG project using the Unity engine. Attracted the attention of the Coles!
- Quest for Glory 1 Extended - AGS remake of QG1 with open mountain pass & extended areas like QFG4.5. Don't know more details. Author ignored attempts to contact.
- Unknown QFG Project: By Dormant - AGS QFG title. Don't know name or details. Author ignored attempts to contact.
- Legacy of Glory - 3D QFG style game. Don't know more details. Author ignored attempts to contact.
- Unknown QFG Project: By Jimbeanus - AGS QFG title. Don't know name or details. Author ignored attempts to contact.

Changes made:
- General - Updated music to mp3, fixed broken links, switched to java frames, forced frame loading, 'sneaky' linking redirects to entry page
- Original QFG1,2,3,4 & 5 - Finally finished my maps! Created slideshow videos with high quality QFG music that show many screenshots that didn't make it to the site.
- Mage's Initiation: Reign Of The Elements - Stunning new pictures found
- Heroine's Quest - Split both Heroine's Quest projects to 2 different tribute pages at authors request. Recorded video of rare Legend of Fair Spring demo.
- Quest for Infamy - Decided to do the same & split QFI pages which means my old 'damp brigand cave theme' QFI page is back from the dead! Stunning new pictures found
- Hero6 - Project re-activated by new team! New demo & more long lost demos found.
- Quest for 3D - New pictures released
- Grim Quest - New graphics & story. New pictures & demo released
- Quest for Glory 1 - 2.5D - New test video released. New host found for demo.
Last edited by Blake00 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

adeyke

#28 Post by adeyke » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Your site has some great content: I do find the information about various QfG fan projects very interesting. There are some I'd never heard of, and some I could nostalgic about. However, your site is just incredibly user-unfriendly in its design. I really wish you could overhaul it to bring it up to more modern standards.

In particular:
1. Frames are terrible. They break navigation. On your site, it's impossible to bookmark an individual page. And it's impossible to view pages in a new window (or tab). My usual approach when I see a list with a bunch of interesting links is to middle-click a bunch of them to be able to open them in new tabs that I can then read at my leisure. With your site, this instead just gives me a bunch of tabs with your main page.

2. Background music is really, really annoying. If people want to listen to music while reading your site, they probably have their own already. And if they don't want to listen to music, you should respect that. You really aren't doing anyone a favor by forcing them to listen to that music. And while the music can be paused, it's still on by default, and hearing the first bar of the song each time before stopping it is still really annoying.

3. There are a lot of things that seem to be more about showing off something cool you can do than about actually making the site better. I went to the site because I was curious about QfG fan projects, not because I wanted to see want to see custom cursors, falling leaves, and animated intros. These just distract from the content.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by Blake00 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:30 am

Wow adeyke, you've taken the number 1 spot for the most extensive negative feedback I've ever received. Not that it was hard to do as I've only ever had 1 other negative feedback in the sites history (a guy said my dune page background nearly gave him an epileptic fit lol so I changed it). Considering I've just spent what little free time I've had over the last 3 months overhauling the site you'll forgive me if I don't exactly jump into redesigning the whole thing, I'm gonna take a loooong break now lol.

But I will address your feedback:

Firstly my site is not a professional site nor a semi-professional frontend for a gaming project, it’s just a little hobby site that started on geocities 12yrs ago, I work on it for fun, I work on it to relax. Secondly I'm not a web programmer, I have NO idea about the 'right way' and better code etc, I did basic html course in 2001 and that's it, the java on my site to taken from free java sites. The site's evolved over the years but not that much. Finally the sites appearance is deliberately retro, it’s a retro gaming site, it’s supposed to make you feel like you’re back in those days and trigger some nostalgia. I wanted to create a site that I could visit and feel like I'm back in the game, I could look at the pictures, play the music, read my story of the adventure I had, and walk away with a nostalgic smile on my face without having to messily re-install the game itself. I figured it would be an added bonus if it had the same effect on others too and sure enough it’s been amazing the amount of good feedback I've received over the years via emails/private msgs/comments, hundreds now as I seem to get one every month or 2 in quiet time and then a whole stack in times like this when I post public updates across the forums & fb, the theme of nearly all the feedback is "loved your site, loved the retro look", even QFG creators the Coles msgd me a few years back, which clearly shows that they all GOT IT. They got what I was trying to achieve and felt the same things I felt when they visited the pages, hell one guy told me earlier this year that he had my QFG page as his home page lol, the thought probably horrifies you considering how much my site annoyed you, hell even I was shocked, but he said every day he wanted to hear the hero theme and see the start screen, then visit the waterfall and hear the QFG melodies as it going him motivated each day lol.

1. Yes frames are terrible but I don't know any other way. A couple of times I consulted friends who are professional web designers about a better way and they've replied that it’s not worth taking courses and learning how the professionals do it as they like my site the way it is and don't want it to look like all the others. Remember I work on the site for fun and most of that fun comes from the visual stuff, not staring at code, but hey if you know an easy alternative that doesn't require me to take a course or read a giant book feel free to tell me and I'll look into it for the future. For the moment I simply switched from html frames to java frames and initiated forced frame loading to stop people ending up with broken pages without menus.
The entry page redirect was something I did to stop public sites linking to weird little parts in the depths of my site, I kept seeing news sites and fb groups linking to weird places I didn’t want people entering through. There is actually a way to still directly link to any page on my site and if someone really wants to bookmark that page for their own use then they can msg me and I'll tell them how, otherwise I want everyone else going through the entry pages to each section of the site. I realise that'll piss off compulsive 'right clicker new tab'ers like yourself but fortunately the majority of web users don't do that otherwise I'd be coping angry messages all the time lol. My site opens new tabs for all external links, but not internal. But hey I may change this again in the future.

2. Yes I'm well aware that autoplay music on websites is considered a big no no. However many years ago I took the design decision to ignore the rule as like I said above I wanted to create proper immersion and nostalgia and like with a good movie, music and sound is an important part of that. I figured it would get me some angry feedback and if I got heaps of it I probably would consider changes across all the sections of my site however considering you’re the first person to complain about it in 12 YEARS it looks like most people got what I was trying to achieve. It drives me nuts when I visit a news site and get hit with autoplay videos and recordings etc but that's because its a news site I repeatedly visit and the sounds are usually advertising I don't want to hear. My site is a little hobby site that people aren't going to continually visit (unless you’re the guy who set it as his home page lmao) and the music they hear is from their favourite game. But hey if the music is a horrible surprise on the first visit then at least if you or others return one day you know what to expect and can hit the pc mute button or pause your music, or pause mine. I am looking at adding 10secs of silence on the start of the main page track and significantly lowering the volume to ensure its less intrusive/surprising/repetitive though.

3. Sigh.. none of it is about showing off, nor has any content been sacrificed for bells and whistles. Like I said above it’s about immersion taking you back into the game. Much like the music I like using the visual aids like weather effects and custom cursors to achieve that. And I believe that because of these things that make my site different to all the other modern boring template businessy websites out there (that you'd have me change mine to) is why I get so much good feedback and minimal complaints. Because they GOT IT, and it made them nostalgically happy.

adeyke

#30 Post by adeyke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 pm

It doesn't surprise me that you haven't gotten much criticism. If I had just encountered that site by chance, I'd have quickly navigated away. It's only because you posted about it as member of this community that I felt it worth giving feedback. Had I known how defensive your response would be, I wouldn't have bothered. It's your site and you can do with it what you want. I'm just sad that the content you've collected isn't accessible in a more useable form.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by Blake00 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:55 am

Happy new year guys! :) It's been a while but I've been working on my site and have made the following additions to the QFG related games list.

New QFG related projects added:
Quest For Glory IV 3D – Massive new section! My total conversion mod for ZDoom Hexen taking you on a 3D action packed adventure in Mordavia.
QFG6: Hero’s Legend – Full tribute page created! Creator of QFG2.5D is working on a 3D QFG sequel based in Silmaria & Tarna.
Quest for Glory I Extended Edition – Full tribute page created! QFG1 remake with many new areas (eg open mountain pass like in QFG4.5).

Changes made to existing QFG content:
General – Contents menu added.
General – All back buttons changed to utilise HTML bookmarks. Now users don’t have to re-scroll down the entire page constantly! :)
General – Fixed some missing slashes in code.
Heroism: The Art of DeFence – New HD screenshots and GREATLY enhanced demo now available.
Quest for 3D – New awesome screenshots of his amazing realistic recreation of Spielburg.
Destiny: The Lost Soul – FINALLY the long lost demo has been found & made available by the Hero6 team!
Quest for Infamy (classic) – Finally found the original Brigand theme song I used to use (forgot it was also hero selection track), now the original 2010 tribute page is finally truly restored.

As always, let me know if something is missing. :)