Trouble running the game

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bjdphb
Peasant Status

Trouble running the game

#1 Post by bjdphb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:48 am

Hello,

I'm using Windows 7 and have the minimum hardware requirements, but am having trouble running the game. If I run it, I get only a black screen. The only way to avoid this is to use the setting to run it in a window, not taking up the full screen. The game works in this setting, but it is then tiny and I cannot adjust it to be larger. Any ideas on how to fix the issue?

Thanks

adeyke

Re: Trouble running the game

#2 Post by adeyke » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 pm

In the game setup, you can choose various graphics filters to scale up the game. These might enable full screen to work, or at least increase the size of the game window. There's also the "force alternate letterbox resolution" option that might be worth testing.

Tyrellnak
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Tyrellnak » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 pm

Force alternate letterbox resolution option brings the quality down, doesn't it?

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Maybe?

The game was designed at a resolution of 320x200 with a 4:3 aspect ratio (i.e. with non-square pixels). That archaic resolution can be difficult on a modern computer, and the version of AGS the game is written is also rather dated now. Depending on your game settings, OS, graphics, and monitor, it either might either not work at all, work perfectly, or work in a degraded way, either stretching the image, not scaling all pixels consistently, not filling the screen, or blurring the image. So the best you can do is try out things until you can get something you're happy enough with.

fopdoodle
Peasant Status

#5 Post by fopdoodle » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:22 pm

I was helped by updating the operating system to the latest version.