Combat speed

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pete1404
Peasant Status

Combat speed

#1 Post by pete1404 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:47 am

Hello,

I played the EGA version of QFG2 as a kid (and several times since) and only recently heard about and downloaded this VGA remake. I am having issues with the speed of the game in combat. I have read the Technical FAQ and attempted the fixes suggested there and in other posts. The speed I am talking about is roughly equivalent to what this guy experiences in this very recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwrfD3M ... ture=share
(I have reached out to the author of the video, as well.)

I am running a Windows 10 quad-core laptop with integrated graphics. The speed for the rest of the game seems a bit off, but it is functional. The combat portion is just too frustrating. Here are the fixes I have tried:

- Various built-in compatibility modes, including XP SP2, XP SP3, reduced color mode, 640x480, disabling fullscreen optimization.

- Setting the affinity from the task manager after starting the program to utilize only CPU 0.

- The "alt tab and open a YouTube video in Firefox" trick.

- The 2x-nearest-neighbor graphics filter, force letterbox, and 85 MHz settings in the Settings box.

- Probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

I'm not sure if there's something else that I haven't tried or if I just haven't done the right combination of things? I would really love to play this beautiful game! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bliznik
Peasant Status

Re: Combat speed

#2 Post by bliznik » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 am

I have the same issue, with speed in general--not just combat. Did you ever find a fix to this issue?

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by bugmenot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 pm

You might want to try running the game via the external engine's latest acwin.exe (see this). Who knows, maybe it'll help you...
Last edited by bugmenot on Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by bugmenot » Sat May 08, 2021 8:22 am

Alternatively, this game is now runnable right from ScummVM, you might want to go that way. See here.

bliznik
Peasant Status

#5 Post by bliznik » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:58 pm

bugmenot wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:22 am Alternatively, this game is now runnable right from ScummVM, you might want to go that way. See here.
So ScummVM was majorly buggy in the past, but I just downloaded the development build of ScummVM, and it works _great_ with the AGD Interactive version of QF2 now! Combat speed isn't all hinky, the graphics can be customized to however I want it to look, and Suck Blue Frog works as intended!

woohoo!